HDMI issues. Seeking best deal.

ChuckZ

CAG Newbie
So recently I have been experiencing issues with either my HDMI cable my ps3 or my HDTV. About every hour or so when I'm playing a game on my ps3 or doing some sort of a function with my ps3, it will flash for a brief second the screen, show the resolution of the top left this is a Samsung. Then after the brief flash it goes back to the display it was previously showing. I doubt it's the ps3 because I just bought it it is a super slim. It could be the port on either side of the cable or the actual HDMI cable which I'm going to start with me replacing.

Does anyone know any good deals on cheap but very affective gaming HDMI cables my TV is 120 Hertz TV I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter but it might be helpful. Thanks peeps.

It has nothing to do with the cable. It's actually a "handshake" issue in which the tv will occasionally screw up the signal it's getting through HDMI. I have the same problem, but it only occurs when I'm playing a game and not when I'm watching video netflix.

[quote name='dohdough']It has nothing to do with the cable. It's actually a "handshake" issue in which the tv will occasionally screw up the signal it's getting through HDMI. I have the same problem, but it only occurs when I'm playing a game and not when I'm watching video netflix.[/QUOTE]

Well I have a warranty on my TV and my ps3. Maybe I should test out the cable with another 1 in my house just in case. Have you been able to fix the problem

[quote name='ChuckZ']Well I have a warranty on my TV and my ps3. Maybe I should test out the cable with another 1 in my house just in case. Have you been able to fix the problem[/QUOTE]
There's nothing I can do to fix it beyond maybe getting an HDMI HDCP switch and even then, it might not work. I'd check for a firmware update for your tv first, but like I said, the cable has nothing to do with the problem.

The problem is with the HDMI controller, but it's not because it's broken, just that it can't keep up with how fast the PS3 is sending data.

[quote name='dohdough']There's nothing I can do to fix it beyond maybe getting an HDMI HDCP switch and even then, it might not work. I'd check for a firmware update for your tv first, but like I said, the cable has nothing to do with the problem.

The problem is with the HDMI controller, but it's not because it's broken, just that it can't keep up with how fast the PS3 is sending data.[/QUOTE]

So then how come the only started happening up until recently. I've never had this problem ever in the 3 years almost 4 years that I've had the TV. now the 4 year warranty is about to expire. And the problem only started happening at the beginning of this year

Can you be a little more specific? When you say this is the first time it's happened in almost 3 years, is the setup the same? Meaning that the these specific cables have not had an issue before this?

What brand of HDMI cables are they?

[quote name='ChuckZ']So then how come the only started happening up until recently. I've never had this problem ever in the 3 years almost 4 years that I've had the TV. now the 4 year warranty is about to expire. And the problem only started happening at the beginning of this year[/QUOTE]
Who knows why. I didn't have a problem with my fat PS3, but occasionally, the tv would pop when I changed the channel while using cable. I switched over to using a receiver and that problem went away. Then I got a slim and occasionally, it would drop the video for a second like you.

At the end of the day, some devices just don't play well with each other.

[quote name='tokerblue']Can you be a little more specific? When you say this is the first time it's happened in almost 3 years, is the setup the same? Meaning that the these specific cables have not had an issue before this?

What brand of HDMI cables are they?[/QUOTE]

They are standard HDMI cables like from Comcast or something very generic but I've had them for ever the only thing really that has changed my setup is me buying the new ps3 super slim and just rearranging some of the cables in the back for it to be more convenient for me that's why I think it might be the cable

The only time it would be the cable is if it was terminated wrong. Since you're actually getting video and audio, we can eliminate that possibility. All cables are basically the same or else people wouldn't be going nuts over monoprice and talking shit about Monster.

It's not the cable.

You might want to do some research on HDMI handshake issues.

[quote name='dohdough']The only time it would be the cable is if it was terminated wrong. Since you're actually getting video and audio, we can eliminate that possibility. All cables are basically the same or else people wouldn't be going nuts over monoprice and talking shit about Monster.

It's not the cable.

You might want to do some research on HDMI handshake issues.[/QUOTE]

I mean it doesn't really bother me a lot right now at all it's a bit annoying. But if this is going to be a bigger problem in the future I might as well resolve it now that I have the warranty on my TV. Plus I can get a new TV lol for the same price out this 1

[quote name='ChuckZ']I mean it doesn't really bother me a lot right now at all it's a bit annoying. But if this is going to be a bigger problem in the future I might as well resolve it now that I have the warranty on my TV. Plus I can get a new TV lol for the same price out this 1[/QUOTE]

In that case, why bother asking here and just do it!:lol:

But I hear ya, it's annoying as hell. Good luck!

You should still research it though because the new tv might have the same problem. You'd think that manufacturers would thoroughly test these things, but the don't.

[quote name='dohdough']The only time it would be the cable is if it was terminated wrong. Since you're actually getting video and audio, we can eliminate that possibility. All cables are basically the same or else people wouldn't be going nuts over monoprice and talking shit about Monster.
[/QUOTE]
- I agree that cables should basically be the same, but I have had defective cables on occasion. For some reason, they would cut in and out on certain inputs and devices and not on others. I swapped the cables out for another one and they worked fine.

bread's done
Back