HDMI Problems & PS3

As stated in AVS Thread, I'm thinking we are seeing the first round of incompatibility between HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.1 or 1.2, whatever cheapy's Plasma is set up with....

A fix!!!!

courtesy of blitz6speed from AVSforums

"Ive learned that there is a auto HDMI setup built into the PS3. They say to do the following:

Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used
Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI
Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds. It should automagically configure your PS3 to the TV's native res for all settings. "

Great news! Good to know Sony engineers were kinda sorta on top of things with the HDMI implementation. This auto feature wasn't explained in the manual or defaulted out of the box?

[quote name='gunm']Great news! Good to know Sony engineers were kinda sorta on top of things with the HDMI implementation. This auto feature wasn't explained in the manual or defaulted out of the box?[/quote]

it probably was but cheapy either refused to believe it or can't read. /sarcasm

[quote name='CheapyD']A fix!!!!

courtesy of blitz6speed from AVSforums

"Ive learned that there is a auto HDMI setup built into the PS3. They say to do the following:

Turn on TV and set input to HDMI port being used
Make sure PS3 is connected via HDMI
Power on PS3 via power button and HOLD IT for 5 seconds. It should automagically configure your PS3 to the TV's native res for all settings. "[/QUOTE]
I guess you didn't read through the link I posted on the first page. ;)

I just hope I don't have any HDMI handshake issues with my set. The whole industry has fucked HDMI all over the place (hence there even being a 1.3).

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I guess you didn't read through the link I posted on the first page. ;)[/quote] I did...it wasn't posted then.

Anyway...time for an update.

Unfortunately, when you do the auto-setup for HDMI listed above, it switches both video and audio (and tells you it's doing so) to HDMI.

Changing the PS3 audio settings to optical out from HDMI will negate the auto-setup that was performed, making it not possible to run HDMI video and make use of the optical audio out (when using the auto-setup for HDMI).

Since I am relying on the auto-setup for HDMI (like I do), this is a pretty big issue, as I can't run Dolby Digital now.

This does look like its something that could be fixed with firmware, the question is, when will it be fixed? I think the answer to that is sometime after the release of the ps3 in America and a bunch of people start bitching to Sony about this. I’m sorry I cant help you, I do hope that you can get it fixed. Did you read the American manual? I think its been compromised and put on line. Maybe you will find a fix in their if you have not already look at it.

Cheapy switches from PS3 to TV and sumo wrestling is on? Talk about something you wouln't want to see in Hi-Def...

Sorry to hear about your PS3 troubles Cheapy, but I'm glad that someone at the AVSForums was able to help you with your first problem ... but here's a suggestion if I may ... since the HDMI "trick" resets both audio and video inputs, have you tried exiting to the dashboard from either Genji or Resistance, then going into the audio options and switching the input from there, then reloading the game?

I don't know if you've tried this, but I figured it was worth a shot.

QFT.

Even though I had problems with my launch PS2 as well.

[quote name='javeryh']It just isn't possible to have a worse launch.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='javeryh']It just isn't possible to have a worse launch.[/quote]

didnt a few people say the same thing about the 360 launch?

what launch was/is worse? the 360, or the ps3?

PS3 hands down. Less stock more demand, compability issues with HDMI, compability issues with 1080i, shitty/no scaler in PS3, more expensive. Shall I go on?

I guess I will have to revisit this next week, to see if as many people have to send theirs back for repair, because it keeps freezing/overheating. this was the biggest issue with the 360 last year. Mine i had to send back. (i should have kept the damn hard drive because apparently, those who didnt spring for the HDD, got one for free after returning the bad console).

Your TV should have Digital Optical Out (DOO). Run optical from the Tv's DOO to your receiver. Yes, I know... it's a stupid extra step that shouldn't be required. SNE should have included a dedicated, always-on DOO on the PS3. Best of luck

That's what happens when you launch technology to the masses that isn't finished yet. You think Sony would've learned from the 360 launch. I guess that chip on Sony's shoulder can only grow bigger at this point.

That's the truth, TV compatibility problems, low number of units available. Why on earth anyone would want the PS3 at launch? This is like 100x worst than Xbox 360 launch last year. Yeah there were broken 360's at launch but it seems like all PS3's are have issues right out of the box.

New problem with mine. I hook ps3 to a one year old Sony 1080i LCD TV via HDMI. It will only gove me 720p max. Component gives 1080i. If I force it to 1080i, it will take but it list 480p and 1080i and I can't deslect the 480. Menus stay in 1080i, but every game that I launch goes down to 480p. AND this is a sony TV! So, I guess if I want HDMI- I am stuck in 720 land. It just makes me chuckle now to see Sony saying play in FULL HD. I guess they did not beta test on their tv's, so now I have to do it for them.. grumble....

I think most TV's that have HDMI also have an optical audio jack. Can't the HDMI carry video and audio to the TV and have the TV send the audio to the Dolby Digital surround sound through its optical out??

[quote name='MadFlava']That's the truth, TV compatibility problems, low number of units available. Why on earth anyone would want the PS3 at launch? This is like 100x worst than Xbox 360 launch last year. Yeah there were broken 360's at launch but it seems like all PS3's are have issues right out of the box.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean all PS3's? It's not even officially out yet in the U.S. and I haven't heard much complaining on the Japan side.

[quote name='Loaded']I think most TV's that have HDMI also have an optical audio jack. Can't the HDMI carry video and audio to the TV and have the TV send the audio to the Dolby Digital surround sound through its optical out??[/quote] For some reason, the TV is not outputing Dolby Digital using that technique.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8872530&&#post8872530

Whatever you say man. :)

Sorry to hear about the new problems though.[/quote]haha...i missed that. sorry!

[quote name='whoknows']What do you mean all PS3's? It's not even officially out yet in the U.S. and I haven't heard much complaining on the Japan side.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I want a PS3 and will have one in the morning. But you need to stop the fanboy Sony bullshit. There are problems with the PS3 and if you don't see that...you're fucking nuts.

I'm having trouble with my 42" Westinghouse (LVM 42W2) over HDMI.

The PS3 will not autodetect 1080p as a supported resolution (even though IT IS), so instead I manually select 1080p. Everything looks good except for this weird, and extremely annoying, sparkling effect that surrounds a lot of things on screen and shows up in the "stream" in the background of the XMB.

The sparkling effect goes away when I switch to 720p. Maybe I'm whining here, but I didn't get a 1080p monitor only to use it at 720p.

I had a similar issue due to location of my PS3. You need to go into system menu and reset your unit to defaults. Hook up the plain jane AV cable to the unit. When asked about the HDMI cable answer no. Then when it is up go to audio select audio and the appropriate channels / DTS/ Dolby what not. Then go to Dispaly and select HDMI and then select manual and select the viseo mode you want. BTW once you selcet HDMI it will switch over and you will not need the old av cables any more. After I did it that way everything now works fine. Before I would only get audio from BlueRay Movie and not from within games.

Enjoy.

[quote name='foo33333']Just wait for the new firmware to release? It might release em' and fix the problem.[/quote]

Nothing to fix other than it automatically sending all audio over HDMI. With my steps above everything works HDMI video with 5.1 optical audio.

Um, my problem isn't currently audio. It's that sparkling thing I mentioned.

EDIT:
Well, it seems that my LCD has a problem with 1080p HDMI in general. Apparently the newer version of my LCD has the problem fixed. Good thing I bought that Protection Plan from Best Buy.

[quote name='mmercer13']Dude, I want a PS3 and will have one in the morning. But you need to stop the fanboy Sony bullshit. There are problems with the PS3 and if you don't see that...you're fucking nuts.[/QUOTE]
Ok, so he said that every PS3 has problems right out of the box before it's even released and I pointed that out, which one of us posted the fanboy comment?

not exactly a shock there would be problems with it. I'm actually surprised people dive right into expensive electronics without any real user testimonials.

[quote name='A7las']Um, my problem isn't currently audio. It's that sparkling thing I mentioned.

EDIT:
Well, it seems that my LCD has a problem with 1080p HDMI in general. Apparently the newer version of my LCD has the problem fixed. Good thing I bought that Protection Plan from Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

what version firmware do you have? all the pre 1.00 have a hdmi hardware issue. I'm having geeksquad to come by tomorrow to deal with the issue. I'm pretty sure they will have to end up placing a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up though. this is the same issue as the PC 1080p @ 60hz and i'm glad somone finally tested the ps3.

[quote name='whoknows']Ok, so he said that every PS3 has problems right out of the box before it's even released and I pointed that out, which one of us posted the fanboy comment?[/quote]

It's downscaling 720p games to 480i on 1080i CRT HDTVs and there's issues with some games being backwards compatible.

There's 2 problems every PS3 will have out of the box.

[quote name='Trakan']It's downscaling 720p games to 480i on 1080i CRT HDTVs and there's issues with some games being backwards compatible.

There's 2 problems every PS3 will have out of the box.[/QUOTE]

those issues don't mean much to me. If you have the money to buy a ps3, a 720HDTV shouldnt even be an issue. And as for backwards compat, they've said they'll fix it (even though I dont care much about that anyway)

[quote name='Zoglog']what version firmware do you have? all the pre 1.00 have a hdmi hardware issue. I'm having geeksquad to come by tomorrow to deal with the issue. I'm pretty sure they will have to end up placing a replacement.

Thanks for the heads up though. this is the same issue as the PC 1080p @ 60hz and i'm glad somone finally tested the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Did you see my post on AVSforum about the hdmi to dvi adapter? I now get 1080p through DVI 1, and it works perfectly.

I still need to test a blu-ray movie to make sure that works as well. Whoever packed my PS3 box left out Talladega Nights, but that's another story...

[quote name='Zoglog']those issues don't mean much to me. If you have the money to buy a ps3, a 720HDTV shouldnt even be an issue. And as for backwards compat, they've said they'll fix it (even though I dont care much about that anyway)[/quote]

Yeah, I understand, but these are major issues for some people. I'd imagine some people sold their PS2 to get money for their PS3.

[quote name='A7las']Did you see my post on AVSforum about the hdmi to dvi adapter? I now get 1080p through DVI 1, and it works perfectly.

I still need to test a blu-ray movie to make sure that works as well. Whoever packed my PS3 box left out Talladega Nights, but that's another story...[/QUOTE]

that's not an acceptable option for me. I use DVI1 for my computer input. DVI2 also suffers the same sparkle problem as the HDMI port (though to a lesser extent) so that's not really an option either. It's better to get this dealt with now while we're under warranty.

So im guessing you have a pre 1.00 firmware

Fortunately my PS3 and Phillips LCD HDTV Flat Panel worked flawlessly....then again I am 100% sure my HDMI is 1.2....

The PS3 definitely handshakes in the beginning with the auto-setup looking for an optimal resolution...it set it at 720p for me...but I put it at 1080i.

It does this handshake again when playing old PS2 Games (as I noticed when booting up SOCOM: COMBINED ASSAULT).

We should make a list of any TVs that have issues....especially those with HDMI 1.1

Suffice to say...I was about to pickup a SAMSUNG HLS-5688W 1080P HDTV (DO NOT BUY THE CRAPPY HLS-XX87W at Circuit City/Best Buy.....that's the stunted crappy version of a GREAT TV)....but decided to hold off until the HDMI 1.3 sets come out early next year.

Now if only the SED HDTVs would get to market faster.......

Also....anyone else running into UBER slow download times from Sony's Online Network.....I literally passed out during the PATCH Download.....

My brother made a comment about having a slow download for the demo of MotorStorm, then I tried to download it and it pulled down in about 5-7 minutes for me. It might depend where you are located. I am on the East Coast (New York), my brother is on the West Coast (Venice Beach).

bread's done
Back