HDMI splitting question

tianxia

CAGiversary!
I wasn't sure where to put this, so it's going here unless someone knows better.

Anyway, I have a question regarding whether this setup will work or not as a replacement for buying an HDTV:

1) HDMI (F) to DVI-D (M) Adapter
2) HDMI cables x 2
3) HDMI (M) to HDMI (F)x2 splitter
4) 19" LCD Monitor w/ DVI-D input
5) Speakers with HDMI input
6) 360/PS3/Wii

Basically, my evil plan is to take my console (6), connect it to the splitter (3), then connect that to the two HDMI cables (2). One cable would then go to my monitor (4) by way of the HDMI to DVI-D adapter (1) while the other runs to the speakers (5). That way, hopefully I would get video on the monitor (4), which has no built-in speakers, and get the audio from the speakers (5).

So anyone know if that would work, and if I should expect to experience significant degradation in video/audio quality? If I get the cables and stuff from Monoprice and use a monitor I have lying around, I can probably get the entire setup running for less than $100, depending on the price of the speakers.

Thoughts? Oh, and thanks in advance.

Wait, so your speakers just have an HDMI input but HDMI output? Are they like those computer speakers without the receiver?

If so, it would be better to use HDMI to DVI for displaying video on your monitor and then using optical for the audio since most of them have optical inputs anyway.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, so your speakers just have an HDMI input but HDMI output? Are they like those computer speakers without the receiver?

If so, it would be better to use HDMI to DVI for displaying video on your monitor and then using optical for the audio since most of them have optical inputs anyway.[/quote]

I agree. If you have the option for optical audio, that's the better option.

But I'm in the position to do the same kinda thing:

Monitor 1: 46" Vizio LCD HDTV in basement living room
Monitor 2: 24" Samsung LCD HDTV Monitor in my room, 40 ft HDMI required routed through ceiling.
Input devices: DIRECTV HD Satellite box, PS3 both connected to one nonpowered HDMI switch.

I'm going to try my luck with this nonpowered HDMI splitter from monoprice. But judging from the reviews on multiple HDMI splitters, it will depend on your LCD's handshaking with the input devices. Some LCD's just won't have it, others are not so tough. Buy cheaper splitters to test out the waters. You don't want to end up with a $70 splitter than doesn't work for your setup.

I've considered using TOSLINK audio but as far as I can tell it isn't viable without getting a receiver. At best I'd be getting a powered HDMI splitter. What you see in the list is basically what I'm planning to run with.

In a word, a game console has a single HDMI output, so I need to split that. The easiest way I can see to do it is to split into two HDMI cables via a nonpowered splitter and plug one into the monitor and one into a set of standalone speakers. The problem is I don't know how much a set of HDMI capable speakers would cost, or if such things even exist.

If anyone knows of a good alternative, I'm open to suggestions, but with receivers running for a couple hundred a shot, I'd prefer to leave those out of the picture if possible.

bread's done
Back