HDMI Switch

CrushEm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Due to the recent upgrade to a PS3 and therefore Blu-Ray as well, I have officially run out of HDMI ports in the back of my TV. A friend suggested I look up an HDMI switch to handle multiple inputs into one HDMI slot.
Would anyone point me in the direction of a good one for a decent price. I'm not sure exactly how much they go for but I was hoping no more than say $75-$100?
Has anyone had success with a particular brand?
Thanks for any help!

Pretty sure I saw one at Wal-Mart for around $30-40.

Either way, Monoprice.com has HDMI switches for as low as $15 for push-type and $30 for remote-controlled. You do NOT want to spend much more than that unless it has some features you NEED.

As anyone can tell you, my $4 monoprice HDMI cable is the exact same quality as a $170 Monster M Series cable. Likewise for switches.

monoprice has one for about $50 if I remember right and it was remote control or automatic. Either way head to monoprice, find what you want and order it. You won't beat the price.

I got a Joytech switch at Fry's, kinda expensive but it's worked well. I think it was on Buy.com for $11 recently, but it might have ended.

I dealt with a cheaper one from BB and it would not give me a signal with one of my players so i went with Oppo which are great solid switches. They are more but they really are great. They will work with everything you throw at it...

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Ce...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232350078&sr=8-11

But I do feel that switches are like HDMI cables, it doesnt matter the price because digital is digital. So as long as it works with all your sources any one should be fine.

[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']As anyone can tell you, my $4 monoprice HDMI cable is the exact same quality as a $170 Monster M Series cable. Likewise for switches.[/QUOTE]

Of course. This is due to the fact that HDMI transmits digital video and audio, so either the signal gets through, or it doesn't. There is literally zero variance in quality.

I've kind of always wished that some sales clerk would start on some sales to me about why I should buy $150 Monster cables instead of cheap stuff, so that I can ask them that, by that token, if I transfer all of pictures and music from a cheap pendrive to a Sandisk, will they suddenly look and sound better?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lice']I dealt with a cheaper one from BB and it would not give me a signal with one of my players so i went with Oppo which are great solid switches. They are more but they really are great. They will work with everything you throw at it...

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-HM-31-Ce...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232350078&sr=8-11

But I do feel that switches are like HDMI cables, it doesnt matter the price because digital is digital. So as long as it works with all your sources any one should be fine.[/quote]

i have the same one and it works flawlessly. it switches automatically and also comes with a remote!

I got a 5 port HDMI switch off of eBay for under $40. The brand is Oricore and it works great. Came with a remote and extra HDMI cable.

The problem I found with auto switching is it won't switch away from the DVR. My DVR always sends a signal, even when off (standby).

i got the joytech one from buy.com. Works well, hooks up to my 360 and PS3 just fine, though I've heard reviews about people having problems with their cable box. I love it though.

bread's done
Back