HDMI to DVI converter for monitor

Silverslug

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (89%)
Hi,

I have a 22 inch Monitor and don't feel like buying a HDTV right now, they are expensive!

Anyway, according to Newegg, my monitor supports HDCP. I was wondering a good (and CHEAP, this is CAG) to buy a HDMI to DVI converter... or cord, since I don't even have a HDMI cable :whistle2:#.

What do you do about AUDIO? I'm assuming its like the Microsoft VGA cable (that I also own!) where it has audio outputs (Red and White)?

THANKS! :)

you can tell the PS3 what audio output you want to use, independent of video output. So you could have HDMI doing video and optical doing audio, and I think you can even use the composite/component connection for audio only if you want to. You'd need a receiver or something else to accept it but it's fairly flexible.

I have optical audio going into my computer, and my PS3/PC share the surround sound system on my computer, it works out pretty nice.

That is nice Jpark. I havent been able to find a decent surround sound system for ~100 bucks with optical in.

On topic hit up Monoprice.com cable should be around 8 bucks or so

[quote name='smiggity']That is nice Jpark. I havent been able to find a decent surround sound system for ~100 bucks with optical in.
[/quote]

Try looking in the clearance section of your local BB or CC... I paid $200 for a used 7.1 Onkyo system with a ton of inputs/outputs and it's awesome. If I had bought it new, it would have cost me more than $500. So yeah... check the clearance sections, you might find a great buy. ;)

Well it's a huge difference if you want to connect to the DVI or if you want to connect to the VGA. They do have HDMI to DVI adapters but there is no HDMI to VGA. There is a way to hook up the PS3 to VGA but you need a component cable, a VGA cord, and a Mayflash YPbPr to VGA box. I bought the Mayflash box and it works PERFECT for my older HDTV that has a VGA input in the back.

Either way you're going to have to buy either an HDMI cord or a component cord. Using the Mayflash box and component cables will leave you with the red/white cables to hook into an audio system but I'm not really certain about the HDMI to DVI. Someone else may be able to help you with that.

Go to monoprice for an HDMI to DVI cable, as I use that to play PS3 and 360 games on my monitor and it works perfectly for me. I use the composite cables that came with the PS3 to get audio to come out of my speakers.

[quote name='smiggity']That is nice Jpark. I havent been able to find a decent surround sound system for ~100 bucks with optical in.

On topic hit up Monoprice.com cable should be around 8 bucks or so[/quote]

I'm actually using an old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pro. I got it about 3-4 years ago for ~$150, mainly because it supported auxiliary-in, and I wanted to record some LPs into mp3s. It's the one that has a front-end which fits in the 5.25" bay on the front of the tower, with a bunch of extra input options. The 5.1 speakers I have are a decent $80 Logitec set I got off of Newegg about 2 years ago.

The best part is that I never had a use for the optical audio until now, and honestly never thought I would. After I got my PS3, I realized how easy and convenient it would be.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Go to monoprice for an HDMI to DVI cable, as I use that to play PS3 and 360 games on my monitor and it works perfectly for me. I use the composite cables that came with the PS3 to get audio to come out of my speakers.[/QUOTE]

hay Tanuki off topic but do you have both systems hooked up to the same monitor??

I'm thinking of getting a xbox, I have a PS3 rite now hooked up to my computer screen and the one thing keeping me from buying xbox is having a monitor to play it on... I'm looking for a solution to keep 2 systems plugged in.

and also I agree! go to monoprice to get the HDMI-DVI cable! it's like $5 and works great!

also my audio is ran thru my computer as well. I take the composite red and white cables, join them together with an adapter, and plug that into my Line-In on the back of my computer, so if I had winamp on at the same time as my PS3, you would hear 2 sounds coming out of my speaker

[quote name='JEKKI']hay Tanuki off topic but do you have both systems hooked up to the same monitor??

I'm thinking of getting a xbox, I have a PS3 rite now hooked up to my computer screen and the one thing keeping me from buying xbox is having a monitor to play it on... I'm looking for a solution to keep 2 systems plugged in.

and also I agree! go to monoprice to get the HDMI-DVI cable! it's like $5 and works great!

also my audio is ran thru my computer as well. I take the composite red and white cables, join them together with an adapter, and plug that into my Line-In on the back of my computer, so if I had winamp on at the same time as my PS3, you would hear 2 sounds coming out of my speaker[/quote]
Yeah, I have them hooked up to an HDMI switch and just push the button for the system I want to play on the monitor.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2

bread's done
Back