Not open for further replies.

spoo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
$44.87 @ Wal-Mart
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897

$51.42 @ Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP39...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180667064&sr=8-1

$47.49 @ Sears
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...rs&subcat=DVD+Players&vertical=ELEC&ihtoken=1

I finally found one today in-stock at Wal-Mart today. It is a good cheap player. If you have a HDTV and don't have a HDMI DVD player yet go to your local Wal-Mart and buy it now. Here locally they stay in stock for less then a day, if you have no luck at Wal-Mart try sears for $3 more and less headache. I wish I knew Sears (or Amazon) sold them a few days ago and it would have saved me a few trips to Wal-Mart to find this player in stock.

I didn't know there was such a thing as an up converting DVD Player WITHOUT an HDMI port... But still, not a bad price.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I didn't know there was such a thing as an up converting DVD Player WITHOUT an HDMI port... But still, not a bad price.[/QUOTE]

A few older Oppo models did.

I found on the AVS forums how to make this player region free:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=825890

Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
Open the tray
Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
Press the 1 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 8 button on your remote control
Press the 9 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 1 button on your remote control
The current Region Code Setting will display
Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions
Press the PLAY Button on the remote control
NOTE - The 0 (zero) in the above sequence represents the Region Code 0 - Region Free. If you want to set to a specific region, just replace the 0 with the region number that you want.

[quote name='alexjs2913']does this have an optical audio out on the back of the unit?[/QUOTE]
No just digital coaxial, RCA and HDMI.

Not bad. I wonder if it makes a big difference. I have a CyberHome DVD player hooked up to my 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP via component.

Will this player be much better??

Well, I can't attest to this product, but my Oppo plays stuff moderately better upconverted than my regular DVD player, to the point where my brother (who wasn't consciously aware there was any quality difference) noticed the quality disparity. The jump to HDMI is nice on its own. Region free is also extremely awesome. :bouncy:

[quote name='Relentless355']Well, I can't attest to this product, but my Oppo plays stuff moderately better upconverted than my regular DVD player, to the point where my brother (who wasn't consciously aware there was any quality difference) noticed the quality disparity. The jump to HDMI is nice on its own. Region free is also extremely awesome. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't compare an Oppo to the Phillips line. From what I've heard, Philips isn't that great, while Oppo is the standard for budget upconversion.

[quote name='XboxHardcore.com']Not bad. I wonder if it makes a big difference. I have a CyberHome DVD player hooked up to my 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP via component.

Will this player be much better??[/QUOTE]

I would recommend this player from BB, same player but it does 1080P and has USB support.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1164157002483

[quote name='joeposh']I wouldn't compare an Oppo to the Phillips line. From what I've heard, Philips isn't that great, while Oppo is the standard for budget upconversion.[/QUOTE]

No it would be silly to compare an Oppo to this Philips. For one thing $150+ vs. $45. You are wrong on the Philips line not being that great, from what I've seen and heard.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=819468

[quote name='spoo']No just digital coaxial, RCA and HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm, that's what I needed to know too. I don't have HDMI on my main tv, but I do have DVI & a HDMI -> DVI cable. I'd need an optical audio out in that case tho.

[quote name='joeposh']I wouldn't compare an Oppo to the Phillips line. From what I've heard, Philips isn't that great, while Oppo is the standard for budget upconversion.[/QUOTE]

I plan on getting an oppo sometime this year, currently have the PS3 which now upconverts... a dvd recorder from RCA which upconverts, but which Id like to move into my game room... leaving me an opportunity to get an oppo for my living room... seeing the glowing reviews, the 250 price tag seems like a bargain

Two questions:

1) Does it come with the HDMI cable?

and

2) Is the OPPO brand capable of region free in the same painless way as this Phillips player?

Thanks.

I picked one of these up a couple of days ago because I wanted a region free player. I watched a couple of movies, and I'm planning on taking it back. The colors were awful. The brightness looked really blown out on it. I tried adjusting it through the setup menus, but I just couldn't get it to look good. I had it hooked up through component cables, so maybe that's why it didn't look that great. For comparison, I watched some scenes from the same movies through my 360 HD-DVD player and they looked great. Maybe I just got a lemon.

[quote name='hector031']I picked one of these up a couple of days ago because I wanted a region free player. I watched a couple of movies, and I'm planning on taking it back. The colors were awful. The brightness looked really blown out on it. I tried adjusting it through the setup menus, but I just couldn't get it to look good. I had it hooked up through component cables, so maybe that's why it didn't look that great. For comparison, I watched some scenes from the same movies through my 360 HD-DVD player and they looked great. Maybe I just got a lemon.[/QUOTE]
I recommend giving this player one more shot. It sounds like you got a lemon, I have tried a few other players and got lemons before.

[quote name='specialk']I have a 360, should I buy the VGA cable or would this player produce the same or better quality?[/QUOTE]

HDMI allows for upconversion without the colors issue, I found my Philips HDMI player to provide darker blacks as opposed to the gray tint from VGA

So this Phillips model is an acceptable upconverting player? Don't really need one (we could survive watching DVDs in 480i), but its cheap enough that I can get it with gift cards rather than waiting for a Christmas gift. Don't need 1080p, so the cheaper one should be fine.

Philips players are fine. I don't like their interface much and have personally seen them problematic with their component output, its not an issue since you'd be using the HDMI anyway. Its not night and day between a upconverted and 480p playback, but if you have a larger TV you will likely notice a bit. DIVX playback is a big plus too, since you can burn data discs and have beautiful results.

The only complaint I have about the player is the speed. It has slow start up and not very responsive on the speed. I can't complain to much since it has a great picture and was only $45.

Went ahead and picked it up in store today, had $45 in gift cards, easy choice. Just need to order an HDMI cable so I can try it out.

[quote name='botticus']Went ahead and picked it up in store today, had $45 in gift cards, easy choice. Just need to order an HDMI cable so I can try it out.[/quote]First of all, I always love seeing your posts because of your avatar. Pheonix Wright always makes me smile for some reason.

Second, you just reminded me that I *might* have some GC stashed somewhere... I'll have to look for those. This would be perfect for them.

Just bought a 32" LCD HDTV and really want something better for playing media with, but hd-dvd players are out of my league right now.

Is there a website that has pictures of RCA, HDMI, DVI cables. I want to see what each cable looks like to know what I have.

[quote name='kevzik']Can this player use its componet out to upconvert dvds?[/QUOTE]

DVD players can't use component outputs to upconvert, period.

[quote name='D_Icon']Is there a website that has pictures of RCA, HDMI, DVI cables. I want to see what each cable looks like to know what I have.[/QUOTE]

You can just go on Newegg and look.. They've always got pretty good pictures.

[quote name='red flare graf']DVD players can't use component outputs to upconvert, period.[/QUOTE]

Why not? The upconversion should be done in player, so the output via component would be 720p or 1080i.

What am I missing?

[quote name='foltzie']Why not? The upconversion should be done in player, so the output via component would be 720p or 1080i.

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]
A few older Oppo models and a few others will do upconversion over component but the problem is that the MPAA with Digital rights management won't allow it.

[quote name='spoo']A few older Oppo models and a few others will do upconversion over component but the problem is that the MPAA with Digital rights management won't allow it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

I guess those Oppo's are from before they ruled that or something.

[quote name='spoo']A few older Oppo models and a few others will do upconversion over component but the problem is that the MPAA with Digital rights management won't allow it.[/quote]

I see. So why can HDMI get away with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back