hdmi vs. vga or component

GeneralJenkins

CAGiversary!
so my second xbox just crapped out on me and was thinking of picking up a new one with hdmi with trade in on the refurbished unit i get back. is it worth it to go to hdmi? my tvs not 1080p but would 1080i and 720p look better? thanks in advance

You really don't get any extra benefit unless you are running on a 1080P set (besides 1 less wire with hdmi), so i'd say no, unless you plan on upgrading your tv soon.

I bought the VGA cable for $30 bucks and didn't see a bit of difference on my 1080i set compared to component.

Picture-quality wise, they are going to be pretty much identical.

Ideally you'd want HDMI since it's the newest technology, but it is definitely not a make-or-break issue, especially if your TV is 1080i/720p. If you have money to burn go for the HDMI, otherwise stick with VGA or component and rest easy. You aren't missing anything.

(for completeness sake - component cannot upscale DVDs like the VGA or HDMI cables can, that's the main reason I would recommend VGA or HDMI over component - if you don't care about that, though, component is fine)

Picture-quality wise, they are going to be pretty much identical.

Ideally you'd want HDMI since it's the newest technology, but it is definitely not a make-or-break issue, especially if your TV is 1080i/720p. If you have money to burn go for the HDMI, otherwise stick with VGA or component and rest easy. You aren't missing anything.

(for completeness sake - component cannot upscale DVDs like the VGA or HDMI cables can, that's the main reason I would recommend VGA or HDMI over component - if you don't care about that, though, component is fine...all three cables can upscale games to 1080p, though)

[quote name='KaneRobot'] ...all three cables can upscale games to 1080p, though)[/QUOTE]

Which i still don't understand.

If you play DVD's, it's my understanding that through VGA or HDMI the 360 will upscale. However, it won't through component. I can't chech this out because my TV's VGA port is not 360 compatible and my 360 doesn't have HDMI. :(

If you are getting 1080P over component it is only because of your tv's hardware making the change. The xbox 360 itself cannot put out 1080P over component. When I switched from 1080i over component to 1080P over HDMI it became noticeably sharper. However I have a 1080P 60" Sony TV so it may not make as much difference to you depending on your tv.

[quote name='Deadpool']Which i still don't understand.[/QUOTE]

The reason upconverted signals do not transmit via component cable is due to RIAA regulations (copyright laws). It's the same reason you don't see HDMI ports on DVD burners, at least not HDMI input into burners

I use VGA to get 1080p sent to my 61" 1080p Sammy DLP and love it... Looks better than component to me... Dont have HDMI xbox, but both slots on my TV are taken, and both slots on my reciever for HDMI are taken, so I wouldnt be able to use HDMI with my 360 anyway (without a switch)... If your VGA port will accept 1080p properly, try that first

[quote name='Purkeynator']If you are getting 1080P over component it is only because of your tv's hardware making the change. The xbox 360 itself cannot put out 1080P over component. When I switched from 1080i over component to 1080P over HDMI it became noticeably sharper. However I have a 1080P 60" Sony TV so it may not make as much difference to you depending on your tv.[/QUOTE]

it can last i checked. the issue was that many tv's do not accept 1080p over component.

also, hdmi/vga is the only way to get DVD's to upscale and play hd dvd's at 1080p

The colors on component seem oversaturated and VGA seems undersaturated, even with expanded black levels. HDMI looks just right to me.

all good points... i think in the end ill end up upgrading to an elite with trade ins. i want the better console as far as hookups and larger hard drive go and hopefully i can grab one with the free games so i can make sure its got the new chipset.

not that there will be any difference between vga or hdmi on my tv... but at least ill be ready for the future.

bread's done
Back