HDTV Advice

moonknight25

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
A dude is selling me this http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HLR6167W-61-Inch-Widescreen-HDTV/dp/B0009E6I3A Tv for $300 bucks and I'm trying to figure out if I should do it. I've tested a Ps3/Xbox360 on it and it looks great via hdmi. But, after reading reviews of this kind of tv, I'm worried that I will have to buy a ton of lamps the next few years. He has never replaced the lamp and since he's in the navy he told me that the tv hasn't been used all that much. Any advice from some hdtv experts would be awesome!

Product Features

• 61-inch projection HD-ready DLP TV; measures 56.9 x 18.4 x 41.6 inches (WxHxD)
  • Digital Light Processing technology features better color uniformity over time--no burn-in, screen aging
  • Built-in HD/Digital tuner (ATSC), 181-channel tuner (NTSC), and Digital Cable Ready; 16:9 widescreen picture aspect ratio
  • Includes 3 composite, 3 S-Video, 2 component, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 PC (D-Sub), 2 Firewire, 1 Monitor, and 2 RF inputs
  • Two stereo speakers, 15 watts apiece (30 watts total)

Technical Details

• Model: HL-R6167W

My Samsung DLP was purchased 4ish years ago and the bulb is still going strong. When it eventually does die I can get a replacement for less than $100. I'm a big fan of DLP's for the price vs size. Lots of people shit on them saying the picture quality isnt as good as others but I think they look great.

$300 is an ok price but this set is only 720p and is a few years old.

Without even really looking hard you can find good prices on DLPs. Dell right now (with coupon code) has a 60" 1080p 3D ready DLP for $780 shipped.

Like I said before though if you arent some tv-elitist, DLP's are great sets for the price. Make sure you research before you buy one so that you are certain about what you are getting.

[quote name='Malik112099']My Samsung DLP was purchased 4ish years ago and the bulb is still going strong. When it eventually does die I can get a replacement for less than $100. I'm a big fan of DLP's for the price vs size. Lots of people shit on them saying the picture quality isnt as good as others but I think they look great.

$300 is an ok price but this set is only 720p and is a few years old.

Without even really looking hard you can find good prices on DLPs. Dell right now (with coupon code) has a 60" 1080p 3D ready DLP for $780 shipped.

Like I said before though if you arent some tv-elitist, DLP's are great sets for the price. Make sure you research before you buy one so that you are certain about what you are getting.[/QUOTE]

Wow that Dell is a great price!! Thanks for the info guys!

it will be a hit and miss. The bulbs for them are just like your normal light bulb in the fact that it can go at any time. I had to replace them on average of ever 90 days with my old set. However American replaced mine for free due to other issues. I would avoid it as much as you can.

[quote name='moonknight25']Wow that Dell is a great price!! Thanks for the info guys![/QUOTE]
I bought that Mitsubishi from Dell myself. Love it.

$300 is a good deal for that Samsung. The service menu can tell you how many hours the lamp has on it, and their lamps last between 4000 to 8000 hours. You could buy a replacement lamp right now and you're still getting a deal.

Only thing is that its a 720p, but its still a huge TV. 720p plasmas in the 42 to 50 inch range are getting pretty cheap now but not that cheap. They have their own issues with service life though, and you can't replace anything to fix it when its time.

With a DLP, just be mindful that you're putting hours on it whenever its on. Mine went into my parlor and doesn't get turned on unless its being watched. Don't leave it on in the background when you're not really using it, don't leave it on all night or when you're out, and avoid turning it on and off frequently. I know somebody thats had a DLP since 05 and their original bulb is still going strong.

[quote name='moonknight25']Wow, that sucks, i think i might pass then if the bulbs go like that....why did american replace them for you free?[/QUOTE]

Some were under the 90 day some were just out of it. Also they replaced the TV because other parts went bad and the guys that were coming out to fix it were getting sick of it. They were on the phone with higher ups telling them all the issues and that the TV was junk. The TV I had was a Hitachi I think. So much can go wrong with them type of TVs I would stay away from any that use a bulb.

you don't really have to be a TV nerd to tell the difference from 720 to 1080p on a 50+ inch TV. It is quite noticeable and it would bother me. I wouldn't get it. The price is good but not a great deal for this set.

Well, I bought it today and after listening to you guys I talked him down to $225. I'm loving it so far and its a good upgrade from my old 50 inch rear projection rca. I do have one last question....it only has one hdmi port and I want to hook up both my ps3 and xbox360. What is the best place to buy a hdmi splitter? The radio shack i went to said that the one's they sell can't work for video game systems. Thank a lot for you guys help! I really appreciate it!

[quote name='moonknight25']Well, I bought it today and after listening to you guys I talked him down to $225. I'm loving it so far and its a good upgrade from my old 50 inch rear projection rca. I do have one last question....it only has one hdmi port and I want to hook up both my ps3 and xbox360. What is the best place to buy a hdmi splitter? The radio shack i went to said that the one's they sell can't work for video game systems. Thank a lot for you guys help! I really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Monoprice.com has very good splitters/switches.

bread's done
Back