Hdtv tuner

Eastsidecracker

CAGiversary!
I just bought olevia 32" (~32H) used and it doesnt have a tuner. I thought it was alright for now, untill I buy myself a pc with a tuner, but I dont know how long that will be.

So I need a tuner. I dont know how much they are and what they do (would like a top of the line) just need help finding a good deal on one, or just the cheapest that will work and look good. All I could find is this for 50 shipped used http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350032454071&Category=61396&_trksid=p3907.m29 Guy runs that tuner on ebay used.

Isn't it called a Analog-Digital Converter? Don't go for the one on eBay. I was under the impression that everyone knew about this, but I guess not. The government is giving out 2 $40 coupons to each house hold regarding the purchase of a Digital Converter. Link
Good luck!
BTW: This looks like the most reliable one on the market so far.

No, an Analog-Digital convert is something different, it converts a digital signal so it can be viewed on an old fashioned 480i TV. I think the D/A converter has a digital tuner built in, but it wouldn't be ideal for an HD display because it downconverts everything to 480i.

Oh thanks! I knew about the coupons but didnt know how available they were yet (last I checked no stores had any).

But will they display in above 480i? Im sure they do but a little pricier.
Im fine with anything that will at least display channels. Are they strictly over the air, or can I plug my cable into it (to at least recieve digital local channels) otherwise its add $5 to comcast for digital cable and a box.

I've tried out two digital tuners.

The first (and the sort of thing you're probably looking for) was the Samsung DTBH260F. Great unit, in my opinion, but too expensive. I bought and sold it twice. Good luck finding it cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DTBH260F-HDTV-Terrestrial-Receiver/dp/B000JV6TQY

The second was the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950. This is a USB HDTV tuner for the PC. I still own this thing, and I think it does a fine job. I got it from Radio Shack several months ago using some silly coupon and a rebate, so it ended up costing about $30. Circuit City sells it for $50 right now, which is still a fair deal.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Haup...sem/rpsm/oid/161904/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I live in the boonies without cable or high-speed internet for half the year, and the Hauppauge was perfect for me. I connect it to my Macbook and, through that, to a larger tuner-less LCD monitor. If you just want a straight tuner, I could certainly recommend the Samsung (but it's not cheap).

I got the Samsung DTBH260F and I dunno, I guess it's ok... I guess I'm just not feeling this whole hd crap since it's still so early. So unorganized or like everyone is running around with their heads cut off.

I don't know if I'd recommend the samsung or a setup with a monitor and a tuner. My regret is having to turn on the monitor (no remote) then turning on the tuner. If I were to get a tv for the same price it would have ONE remote and turn on the tv.

I also have a USB HDTV tuner for my PC and it's ok too. Actually, I guess part of it is TV these days just sucks period. I also don't watch it because I use my monitor as my PC screen too. It's more entertaining.

Bottomline is I'd say hold off and if you can just Bittorent everything like I do. xD

[quote name='VipFREAK']I got the Samsung DTBH260F and I dunno, I guess it's ok... I guess I'm just not feeling this whole hd crap since it's still so early. So unorganized or like everyone is running around with their heads cut off.
[/quote]
What do you mean by that? Video quality? Signal cliff effect?

I don't know if I'd recommend the samsung or a setup with a monitor and a tuner. My regret is having to turn on the monitor (no remote) then turning on the tuner. If I were to get a tv for the same price it would have ONE remote and turn on the tv.

I also have a USB HDTV tuner for my PC and it's ok too. Actually, I guess part of it is TV these days just sucks period. I also don't watch it because I use my monitor as my PC screen too. It's more entertaining.
There are TV tuners with remotes and IR. The IR interface is more useful because with a program like Girder you can use any universal remote and program as many controls for your PC as you like.

Bottomline is I'd say hold off and if you can just Bittorent everything like I do. xD
Um...no thanks. (I have other methods.)

Oh, and OP, gov't certified converters cannot display above 480i; I don't think any of them are cable ready. Someone at AVS Forum made a comparison list of the D-A converters in Excel format. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this list as I don't have any converters of my own.

Found something I didnt even think of:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Y7B1I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260010
(review says works well with 21", box says 19")

Theres a good amount of different models to choose from. Its pretty much a tuner for a pc monitor (im assuming it has an average, like 15-21", unless the resolution and a 32" go together, right now I set my laptop to 1360x768, so im using the tv as a monitor, what it is technically since there isnt a tuner ) but dont know about their picture quality on a hdtv. I read a review on another and it said it isnt hdtv, which I dont get.

I checked those links. That Kworld box has no ATSC (Digital TV) tuners so you won't receive any digital (HD or SD) signals.

Are you looking for something like this?

bread's done
Back