Head-2-Head PS2 & Cube RE4?

The gamecube is a superior version of the main game, but the Ps2 has extra content, is pretty much what I got from it.

Gamecube:

Advantages-

Tighter and more responsive controls
Higher polycount models(looks that way, at least)
Real-time cutscenes
Dynamic Lighting
Better Particle effects
Shorter loading times
Sharper sound effects
Better environmental textures

Disadvantage -

No Separate Ways mission
No laser gun
No extra ps2 edition costumes for leon and ashley
No true widescreen support(faked widescreen)

PS2

Advantages -

Separate Ways mission
Laser gun
Additional extra costumes for Leon and Ashley that were not in the GC version
True widescreen support

Disadvantages -

Controls aren't as tight or responsive (could be controller preference)
Lower polycount models(looks that way, at least)
Pre-rendered cutscenes(costumes don't change in the cutscenes even if you're
wearing a different one)
Less lighting
Weaker Particle effects
Longer loading times
Compressed sound effects(supposedly due to lack of ram in the ps2, sound
was compressed to let it fit with all of the graphics data)
Less detailed environmental textures

Basically, the PS2 version is inferior in every way except controller(if you prefer the dual shock to the GC pad), true 16:9 support (instead of faked), and extra content (Separate Ways, additional weapon and costumes)

Edit: here is the closing comments or sum up of their article

Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version.

They probibly played the cutscenes as a video for the movie viewer option in the game. gotta also add that they took away some of the volumetic lighting effects that made the game lighting very realistic. Now i am think i should wait til this hits greatest hits before picking it up.. doesn't seem to be worth 40 bucks for a downgrade. The sepreate ways stories should have been an add on.

[quote name='Robobandit']The gamecube is a superior version of the main game, but the Ps2 has extra content, is pretty much what I got from it.

Gamecube:

Advantages-

Tighter and more responsive controls
Higher polycount models(looks that way, at least)
Real-time cutscenes
Dynamic Lighting
Better Particle effects
Shorter loading times
Sharper sound effects
Better environmental textures

Disadvantage -

No Separate Ways mission
No laser gun
No extra ps2 edition costumes for leon and ashley
No true widescreen support(faked widescreen)

PS2

Advantages -

Separate Ways mission
Laser gun
Additional extra costumes for Leon and Ashley that were not in the GC version
True widescreen support

Disadvantages -

Controls aren't as tight or responsive (could be controller preference)
Lower polycount models(looks that way, at least)
Pre-rendered cutscenes(costumes don't change in the cutscenes even if you're
wearing a different one)
Less lighting
Weaker Particle effects
Longer loading times
Compressed sound effects(supposedly due to lack of ram in the ps2, sound
was compressed to let it fit with all of the graphics data)
Less detailed environmental textures

Basically, the PS2 version is inferior in every way except controller(if you prefer the dual shock to the GC pad), true 16:9 support (instead of faked), and extra content (Separate Ways, additional weapon and costumes)

Edit: here is the closing comments or sum up of their article

Summing Up: If you desire greater level of options, and a more versatile experience with successive playthroughs; go with the PS2 version for all it's bonus features.

If you prefer greater level of graphical detail, more dynamic sound, and a more intense and immersive atmosphere; pick up the original GameCube version.[/QUOTE]

It looks alot worse, but it is adequate. Anyone who didn't already play it on GC probably isn't much of a gamer and won't know how bad they have it anyway. :lol:

graphically, i can see a huge difference...but that didn't stop me from buying the PS2 Premium Edition (which is packaged to look a lot better than the cheap GC gamestop SE) just for the bonus features, after already beating the GC version 3 full times

It's not as bad as people are saying in this thread. The only graphical difference that stood out to me was the enemies, mainly because the FMV's use the gamecube models. The sound was bad compared to the GC version when I first played it, but now I can't even notice it.

Edit: Looking at those screenshots, yeah it does make the PS2 version look noticably worse, but screenshots didn't do the GC version justice, and they don't do the PS2 version justice.

My household has both versions. The loading time is not bad and the graphics look fine. One of Capcom's better ports for sure. Control is fine. Quite polished IMO. If you don't have a cube, your not missing THAT much. One thing that I believe no one mentioned is that the PS2 version supports Progressive Scan/Component mode.

Didn't mention it since both the Gamecube and the Ps2 support p-scan, didn't think about it :) though the ps2 supports true 16:9 and the cube version does not for framerate reasons. (supposedly having a few pixels taken up by solid black bars allowed them to keep the framerate at 30 most of the time)

after playing through all of it on the Cube, I just can't get used to the PS2 controller, the sound or anything about the PS2 version. It's the controller that gets me the most-- the wavebird is just plain sexy. but i'm just picky like that sometimes....

Looks like I need to rent the PS2 version, beat it, and get me some extras. I don't really want to play through the game to get them though.

all capcom has to do is release a gamecube version with the new feature and we will have the best version.

This one goes to those diehard Nintendo Fanboys, finally one up on Sony. I own all systems and will forever be a Nintendo supporter because of the NES bringing me in, but they never get alot of recognition or their props. I was pissed when I heard that the "Exclusive" was pretty much lifted from NGC and the PS2 was getting its own version. I'm glad Sony took a hit on such a big title their heads are getting way to big.

While I'm on the topic of bashing Sony let me just say that I believe Microsoft will edge a little closer this generation. The one thing Sony always brought up when its system was compared to the XBOX was that the hardware might be more powerful, but the games are what drive a system. Yet since the revealing of the PS3 and its specs countless reps boast on the power of the dual cell processor. Get real Sony don't fall victim to the claims you placed on your competetors previous hardware.

Get real Sony

Click here for a better rollover version of the head-to-head comparison. It really illustrates the differences in an easier-to-see manner. (I think I got this link on Opposable Thumbs over at Ars Technica yesterday)

This wouldn't even be an issue if the PS2 version came out first. I own RE4 for the GC and have played the PS2 version. The GC version is obviously graphically superior, but the PS2 version is no slouch. I like the PS2 controls better.

I'm almost through the Separate Ways campaign now, but if I hadn't already beaten the GCN game several times before, I could live forever in blissful ignorance on just what the PS2 port has to offer. It's a great game on either system; it's just a shame that GCN owners had to miss out on the new content.

Here's hoping that Capcom will add the new stuff in with a Player's Choice release like Konami did with Silent Hill 2 on PS2.

[quote name='62t']all capcom has to do is release a gamecube version with the new feature and we will have the best version.[/QUOTE]

Don't be suprised if this happens if RE4 ever goes Player's Choice on the Gamecube.

[quote name='Scorch']Don't be suprised if this happens if RE4 ever goes Player's Choice on the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

But will Capcom actually go through the effort to do it??? :)

They are the King of Reprints, but to actually reprint AND add new content .....

[quote name='opportunity777']But will Capcom actually go through the effort to do it??? :)

They are the King of Reprints, but to actually reprint AND add new content .....[/QUOTE]
You ever hear of Street Fighter? :booty:

Off topic: When do the RE 4 action figures come out? This month right, but what day? And will GameRush be getting them in? Thanks for any info.

[quote name='Scorch']Don't be suprised if this happens if RE4 ever goes Player's Choice on the Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to keep my original case, wouldn't want that to be the only PC game in my collection. :lol:

Damn. I was originally waiting for the GC version to drop down to $20. When PS2 version was released and prices were the same, I figured I'd get the PS2 version for the extra content. Now that I see the screen differences, I really want some way to blend the two together. PC is fine by me if I can have the better graphics and all the extras. :)

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Damn. I was originally waiting for the GC version to drop down to $20. [/QUOTE]

Don't. It's worth $50.

bread's done
Back