Head to Head DS vs PSP

Exedor

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
DS vs PSP

Trying to decide whether to get a DS or PSP?

I have both and I prefer the DS by FAR.

The PSP is fragile, you'll be afraid to take it anywhere, especially considering how expensive it is. If you play with the cord plugged in to save batteries, the place it plugs into wears out and then it will switch off and on randomly.

The DS is built with Nintendo's time-proven quality standards and unlike Sony their stuff doesn't wear out and quit working for a LOOONG time. Overheating PS1's, Disc-Read Error PS2's meanwhile my old SNES still works great.

The PSP batteries don't last long at all- The DS has five times longer battery life. Because the DS reads game data from flash cards while the PSP has to spin a disc and power a laser to read it. We're talking like 3-4 hours versus like 12-16.

The PSP has LOOONG load times on most of its games - Seriously I'm talking several minutes of loading screens just to get into a game. Then if you die or move between areas. Literally 6 minutes to load a match in wrestling. Some games aren't near as bad but overall they almost all load super annoyingly slow.

The games on the DS imo are by far more unique, fun and suited to a portable system. And shockingly I have found the online play better on the DS. Unique fun experiences you cant have anywhere else, whereas the best online games for the PSP are the exact same sort of things you can play on any console or PC. Which for the most part you can still get on the DS in another form.

The controls on the PSP are RETARDED. You'll be praying the server you join has auto-aiming turned on so you don't have to use triangle, square, x and o buttons to aim up down left and right. Cause the PSP only has one analog stick and its on the left at the very bottom of the system you WILL get hand cramps playing for more than 30 mins just trying to use it. And its very small and your thumb constantly slips off it. The four way pad is almost as bad, it's EXTRA SLIPPERY and really flat and not near as responsive as it should be.

The DS stylus lets you mimic the precision of a mouse for your aiming and looking around. But most games allow you to use the pad and buttons for everything if you really want to.

Where the PSP does shine is it larger storage capacity, this allows the game designers to make larger games and store more data for textures and such, resulting in often much more realistic looking graphics. The graphics chip in the PSP seems to be more powerful as well. It's a very pretty system for sure. But just not near as fun.

Reposted from my blog http://humantargets.blogspot.com/

Your review is way too bias. It doesn't explain the other good quality function of psp such as great value for multi-media device, better looking graphics and several exclusive generes that ds games will never have (first person shooters, more violent or mature games, rpgs and sport games)

[quote name='Exedor']DS vs PSP

The PSP is fragile, you'll be afraid to take it anywhere, especially considering how expensive it is. If you play with the cord plugged in to save batteries, the place it plugs into wears out and then it will switch off and on randomly.

The DS is built with Nintendo's time-proven quality standards and unlike Sony their stuff doesn't wear out and quit working for a LOOONG time. Overheating PS1's, Disc-Read Error PS2's meanwhile my old SNES still works great.

The PSP batteries don't last long at all- The DS has five times longer battery life. Because the DS reads game data from flash cards while the PSP has to spin a disc and power a laser to read it. We're talking like 3-4 hours versus like 12-16.

The PSP has LOOONG load times on most of its games - Seriously I'm talking several minutes of loading screens just to get into a game. Then if you die or move between areas. Literally 6 minutes to load a match in wrestling. Some games aren't near as bad but overall they almost all load super annoyingly slow.

The games on the DS imo are by far more unique, fun and suited to a portable system. And shockingly I have found the online play better on the DS. Unique fun experiences you cant have anywhere else, whereas the best online games for the PSP are the exact same sort of things you can play on any console or PC. Which for the most part you can still get on the DS in another form.

The controls on the PSP are RETARDED. You'll be praying the server you join has auto-aiming turned on so you don't have to use triangle, square, x and o buttons to aim up down left and right. Cause the PSP only has one analog stick and its on the left at the very bottom of the system you WILL get hand cramps playing for more than 30 mins just trying to use it. And its very small and your thumb constantly slips off it. The four way pad is almost as bad, it's EXTRA SLIPPERY and really flat and not near as responsive as it should be.

The DS stylus lets you mimic the precision of a mouse for your aiming and looking around. But most games allow you to use the pad and buttons for everything if you really want to.

Where the PSP does shine is it larger storage capacity, this allows the game designers to make larger games and store more data for textures and such, resulting in often much more realistic looking graphics. The graphics chip in the PSP seems to be more powerful as well. It's a very pretty system for sure. But just not near as fun.

Reposted from my blog http://humantargets.blogspot.com/[/QUOTE]
This is just flamebait labeled as a review. This will not end well.

[quote name='Exedor']DS vs PSP

The PSP is fragile, you'll be afraid to take it anywhere, especially considering how expensive it is.

[/quote]

Yeah at $169 its not that bad that old " it cost to much " doesn't really work to much any more. On top of that, I have had my own psp for over a year and have never had it just turn off on its own because of the plug nor have I even heard of this till now. Could it happen? I guess, but smells of bs.

[quote name='Exedor']

http://humantargets.blogspot.com/[/quote]

Yeah those standards where great with the fucking back latches brakeing on the DS lite huh? Both systems have had one problem or another but lets try to have facts for each.

[quote name='Exedor']

http://humantargets.blogspot.com/[/quote]

This is a give and take on who uses it. Some people play on the go others sit down to play one all day. For a portable 4 hours is fine, you can always plug the damn thing into recharge at home while you play.

[quote name='Exedor']

[/quote]

Ok wth. Sorry wrestling gets no love from me. Sure six min might be longer than it took to get into your sisters pants but its your own damn fault for playing a wrestling game in the first place. Saying there on long load times on most games is utter bs. Sure some games do have some load times that suck but nothing that kills a game by any strech. I see more and more people bitch about this , then when I play the game it at most 30 secs to a min. Boo fucking woo it wasn't a instane load. Deal with it.

[quote name='Exedor']

[/quote]

1. Don't use " RETARDED " as an opener to descibe ANYTHING.
2. No idea what game you are talking about, seems bad control design on the programers fault not the PSP itself.
3. If it is so slick when you play don't eat while you play, or wipe your hands off.

[quote name='Exedor']

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, the stylus is fun to use, but precision is not something that comes to mind. In a fast pace game I have noticed that it starts to lack precision in quicker movements. On normal use/ slower games it works great, but I don't think it holds up to quicker paced games at all.

[quote name='Exedor']
Reposted from my blog http://humantargets.blogspot.com/
[/quote]

So many things I could say about blog writers but I wont.

In the end the DS and PSP are both great little game systems. I don't think one is better than the other. In the end the only person you can pick the right one for you is you.

Having just gotten a PSP I can safely say I love my DS far more.

BUT...

A system's life blood is its software. All of your complaints about the PSP were opinions based on the hardware (I'm not sure my DS Lite batteries last as long as my PSP's new battery does anymore) and poorly made software. Go get yourself a copy of Daxter and play that. Then go play Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents and enjoy them all.

Each system has strengths and weaknesses. If it's one or the other, I'd choose the DS without even thinking, but both are great machines. The attractiveness of the PSP over the DS at this point was one of it's faults before: software pricing. You can now get most of the best games for under $20 used at EB for the PSP. Pretty solid deal in my book.

[quote name='LostRoad']Yeah at $169 its not that bad that old " it cost to much " doesn't really work to much any more. On top of that, I have had my own psp for over a year and have never had it just turn off on its own because of the plug nor have I even heard of this till now. Could it happen? I guess, but smells of bs.
eah those standards where great with the fucking back latches brakeing on the DS lite huh? Both systems have had one problem or another but lets try to have facts for each.[/quote]

Well, the review was written before the price drop. And the power jack issue is real and much more troublesome that a cracked hinge. As when teh jack finally completely pulls away from the board the PSP will be useless. Beyond that, if you don't recognize the superior track record Nintendo has when compared to Sony regarding reliability then that pretty much discredits you right there.

[quote name='LostRoad'] This is a give and take on who uses it. Some people play on the go others sit down to play one all day. For a portable 4 hours is fine, you can always plug the damn thing into recharge at home while you play.[/quote]

There's no "give and take" dude, DS has 4 to 5 times the battery life of the PSP. Period.

[quote name='LostRoad'] Ok wth. Sorry wrestling gets no love from me. Sure six min might be longer than it took to get into your sisters pants but its your own damn fault for playing a wrestling game in the first place. Saying there on long load times on most games is utter bs. Sure some games do have some load times that suck but nothing that kills a game by any strech. I see more and more people bitch about this , then when I play the game it at most 30 secs to a min. Boo fucking woo it wasn't a instane load. Deal with it.[/quote]

Aside from you projecting your own life experiences onto me this is further proven valueless in that 1) your disdain for wrestling is irrelevant, and 2) wrestling was just the example chosen, I could have used Midnight Club or Monster Hunter or any number of other games as the poster child for load time issues and my point would have made.

[quote name='LostRoad'] 1. Don't use " RETARDED " as an opener to descibe ANYTHING.
2. No idea what game you are talking about, seems bad control design on the programers fault not the PSP itself.
3. If it is so slick when you play don't eat while you play, or wipe your hands off.[/quote]

1. You mean like this: Your entire critique is RETARDED.
2. The game in question is SOCOM, maybe you've heard of it? It's one of the top rated most played online PSP games. Plus the comment applies to many other games, like Siphon Filter, and pretty much all the 1st/3rd person shooters.
3. The "don't eat while playing" comment is EXTRA RETARDED.

[quote name='LostRoad'] Don't get me wrong, the stylus is fun to use, but precision is not something that comes to mind. In a fast pace game I have noticed that it starts to lack precision in quicker movements. On normal use/ slower games it works great, but I don't think it holds up to quicker paced games at all.[/quote]

I have found it far easier to aim precisely with the stylus in 1st person shooters, than to use the four face buttons (triangle, square, x and circle) to aim up, left, down, and right. Is this something that disputed in the community? Seriously.

[quote name='LostRoad'] So many things I could say about blog writers but I wont.[/quote]

Is that because they would be RETARDED?

[quote name='LostRoad']In the end the DS and PSP are both great little game systems. I don't think one is better than the other. In the end the only person you can pick the right one for you is you.[/quote]

I have to agree here. Which is why I slapped together my poorly written review. It's meant to give people a look at one guy's experience with both systems. I still love my psp, but I'm frustrated with some of it's shortcomings. And I dread the inevitble disk read error or other typical Sony first gen hardware problem that will kill it.

[quote name='fatbeer']Your review is way too bias. It doesn't explain the other good quality function of psp such as great value for multi-media device, better looking graphics and several exclusive generes that ds games will never have (first person shooters, more violent or mature games, rpgs and sport games)[/quote]

It's biased in the sense that I compared them and the DS was the one I preferred. Because of all the reasons I listed and many I didn't. I do think I should have placed more emphasis on the PSP two big strengths as I see them. The more realistic 3d graphics, and the bigger capacity allowing them to do open world games like GTA.

As far as the multimedia features go, it's a bit HUGE AND FRAGILE as far as MP3 players go and buying a big enough memory stick to give it capacity comparable to an IPOD costs as much as just buying an IPOD. And the movies cost more than DVDs and usually don't have the extra content that the DVD would include. (Or at least they did before they all went on clearance because noone was buying them.)

And PSP exclusive genres? DS has em too, FPS? Metroid Prime Hunters, Mature/Violent? Resident Evil, RPG? UHHH Too many to list, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Rocket Slime, and way too many other great ones to list.

Thanks though :) I do appreciate the reading and feedback, sorry if I sound defensive but the other guy got me a bit riled up. =)

[quote name='daroga']Go get yourself a copy of Daxter and play that. [/quote]

I bought it when it came out for 40 bucks :/ Very pretty graphics but got boring for me pretty fast. Not sure why, it's a well made and polished game, just couldn't hold my interest.

I recently picked up Metal Gear Acid 1 and Ridge Racer for ten bucks each though and I'm enjoying both of them enough to make up for it.

And yeah I'm finding tons of cheap used PSP games at my local GameStop and loving it :) Way better deals than the used DS section. Got VCS, The Warriors and Lumines all three for like 39 bucks total during the sale.

You missed the fact that The Sony PSP Can play Music and Videos and go on the internet and the best part is we dont have to buy a carttridge to go on the internet -.-'' This was the most Biast review ever...ever..

[quote name='Xrazor']You missed the fact that The Sony PSP Can play Music and Videos and go on the internet and the best part is we dont have to buy a carttridge to go on the internet -.-'' This was the most Biast review ever...ever..[/QUOTE]

Why did you bump this 3-month old flamebait topic with a flamebait post?

bread's done
Back