Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

Re-registered and everything and tried the new code and it still doesnt work. fuck it...anywho..here is the other code for whoever wants it....

G7GR-EMBB-T2AQ

[quote name='Malik112099']How!? Mine didnt work. And it has been mentioned over and over again that the code is for UK accounts. Maybe I'll try again.[/QUOTE]
I typed the code like any other code I've gotten and started the download once it was redeemed. That's all I had to do, as I wouldn't be over 50% done downloading it right now if it didn't work.

Demo is awesome. The first part was really cool, really compelling "game" acting. It really makes it more emotional... the second part was kind of meh.

It was awesome playing this game on the only day it is raining here. Made it more moody.

Got mines to work after a few hours. If you guys don't feel like making a UK account, PM me and I'll send you the account info.

Maybe it's because I thought ahead and made a 4 Days account last week, so I was rewarded with a US code while the peasants that waited until now had to go a different route to download the demo?

I didnt think registering with the 4 Days thing meant any difference. But I got mine nonetheless no hassle.

Cant wait for this game, Gotta say...Im not liking Mister FBI character too much, and did anyone else have the controller just rumble constantly during the end of the investigation? Is that a glitch or is it suppose to signify his uneasiness at the crime scene?...either way it was annoying.

[quote name='joe2187']
Cant wait for this game, Gotta say...Im not liking Mister FBI character too much, and did anyone else have the controller just rumble constantly during the end of the investigation? Is that a glitch or is it suppose to signify his uneasiness at the crime scene?...either way it was annoying.[/QUOTE]

I like the gadgets he uses, but not the character. Got sick of his "this is common/not common" sayings. Can't say I got the constant rumble at the investigation, but I did at the beginning of the scene when it was suppose to.

This makes the wait that much more intense. I've been waiting since the E3 teaser four or five years ago and the time is almost here! After playing the demo, the next two and a half weeks will be unbearable. I played through the "sleazy place" portion three or four times..

I talked to her and got info, I paid her and used my money to tell her that she's on the clock and she should give information (though she didn't take too kindly to being paid to talk about her kid's death), I coaxed the information out of her.. as far as the fight goes, I kicked his ass, I let him kick mine, I let him cut me and then kicked his ass and the blood stayed on my shirt (and when he fully kicked my ass, I was beat to shit.. he even made some comment to the effect of 'whoever that guy was.. he's got a mean right hook!), then one time I just left. I wonder what effect that will have on her character later in the game..

..the scene investigator sucked though, hopefully that gets more interesting in the game. His glove gadget thingamadoojer was awesome though

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why do you need a UK account? The code worked fine on my main US account.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I also registered for 4 Days though, so maybe that does have something to do with it. I actually read what everyone was saying, went into my EU account to type in the code, and it said "invalid". I thought "hmmm...I wonder..." and logged into my regular account, and it worked no problem. I hope those of you who are saying your codes are no good are double checking on your regular account. Otherwise, you're really screwing yourself over, lol.

EDIT - I should also mention I used the Kotaku link that was posted in the deals forum.

Not sure what to think of the game now. I was pleasantly surprised by the demo. I think I'll go back to preordering it. The fight was much more fun then I expected it to be. I do hate how the characters move, but it isn't too bad and I can live with it. Hopefully the game actually turns out to be very good and surprises me.

Demo is nice, but I still don't see how this kind of game can warrant a full $60 price tag. I mean what we've seen so far is a game that revolves around quick time events. I've had my fair share of story-games on the DS. Their replay value is nonexistent.

I loved the demo. I really wasn't really interested in the game beforehand because I thought it was one giant QTE, but I was so immersed into the game and it reminded me of the Silent Hill series which I love.

I'm thinking about buying it now, but like option says, I'm worried about the replay value.

Demo blew me away, especially the first scene.

I was just about trembling as I played.
It's gorgeous, and the atmosphere is beyond just about every game I've ever played.

2nd scene reminded me so much of Blade Runner adventure game on PC.

It's unbelievable.
Best game of 2010 for me, I can already tell....... well, maybe Yakuza 3 can top it. :cool:

[quote name='joe2187']I didnt think registering with the 4 Days thing meant any difference. But I got mine nonetheless no hassle.

Cant wait for this game, Gotta say...Im not liking Mister FBI character too much, and did anyone else have the controller just rumble constantly during the end of the investigation? Is that a glitch or is it suppose to signify his uneasiness at the crime scene?...either way it was annoying.[/QUOTE]

I think its probably because you didn't select keep your cool "control" at the beginning of the scene thus resulting in the shakes from drug withdrawal or whatever he suffers from.

I loved the demo. Great stuff can't wait luckily I'll have Bioshock 2 to tide me over.

[quote name='Scorch']This makes the wait that much more intense. I've been waiting since the E3 teaser four or five years ago and the time is almost here! After playing the demo, the next two and a half weeks will be unbearable. I played through the "sleazy place" portion three or four times..

I talked to her and got info, I paid her and used my money to tell her that she's on the clock and she should give information (though she didn't take too kindly to being paid to talk about her kid's death), I coaxed the information out of her.. as far as the fight goes, I kicked his ass, I let him kick mine, I let him cut me and then kicked his ass and the blood stayed on my shirt (and when he fully kicked my ass, I was beat to shit.. he even made some comment to the effect of 'whoever that guy was.. he's got a mean right hook!), then one time I just left. I wonder what effect that will have on her character later in the game..

..the scene investigator sucked though, hopefully that gets more interesting in the game. His glove gadget thingamadoojer was awesome though
[/QUOTE]

I tried playing out all the possibilities, but I never even thought to just leave. I was sorta bummed out that whatever choices you made the story progressed the same but I guess ignoring that all together would change something... hopefully. I loved the first part of the demo, the FBI part not so much. Stupid forensic tech glove is so gimmicky.

[quote name='dallow']Demo blew me away, especially the first scene.

It's gorgeous, and the atmosphere is beyond just about every game I've ever played.

It's unbelievable.
Best game of 2010 for me, I can already tell....... well, maybe Yakuza 3 can top it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

this is the type of thing that makes me think it is mediocre but you are so overhyped for this game that you are going to give it bj's, bake it pies and knit it sweaters no matter how good/bad it is. Trembling?

[quote name='Malik112099']this is the type of thing that makes me think it is mediocre but you are so overhyped for this game that you are going to give it bj's, bake it pies and knit it sweaters no matter how good/bad it is. Trembling?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tend to agree.

Demo was pretty good (I thought we were getting the convenience store scene?) but come on dallow shit wasnt that amazing.

I can already tell this is going to be the Donnie Darko of video games. Something that is probably slightly above mediocre at best masked by the true diehards claim that you, "Dont get what they were trying to do."

Dont get me wrong, the game seems truly unique and I was going to buy mostly because its not Heavy Rain 4: Thunderstorm or Heavy Rain 2011 same gameplay since 01.

I enjoyed the demo though.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I tend to agree.

Demo was pretty good (I thought we were getting the convenience store scene?) but come on dallow shit wasnt that amazing.

I can already tell this is going to be the Donnie Darko of video games. Something that is probably slightly above mediocre at best masked by the true diehards claim that you, "Dont get what they were trying to do."

Dont get me wrong, the game seems truly unique and I was going to buy mostly because its not Heavy Rain 4: Thunderstorm or Heavy Rain 2011 same gameplay since 01.

I enjoyed the demo though.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of the enjoyment comes out of seeing how your decisions during one scene unfold and effect the following scenes in the game. Unfortunately, the demo didn't really contain any moments in which it would have mattered. I do think that this game is going to be great fun when it finally releases though.

Played through as much of the demo as I could stand.
The fight was ok (sucks knowing that you still win the fight even if you do nothing..i thought your characters could die any time?).
After the
fight
Lauren was like "Are you ok?" with ZERO emotion. That bitch was a zombie. The
crime scene
was grueling. The animations are badly recycled (at least give me 3 or 4 different ones to look at). The camera angle change would be nice if you could take control of the camera. While
scanning
the ground it would be nice to know if my
magical glove picked up anything behind me.
There also seems to be no reason to do something the "right" way sometimes. After I climbed the hill next to the highway I was going back down and slipped. Nothing bad happened. So instead of dealing with tapping buttons like a tard I just let the guy slip/fall down again. Nothing negative happened because of it. No motivation there to have him climb down the right way.

This seriously just became a tech demo with built in QTE for me. The tech demo aspect is further solidified by the close ups of the characters faces while the game is loading. It is like someone said "I loved the cut scenes during MGS4 but need something to do while watching them."

Definite pass.

I'm going to try and get the demo during the Super Bowl. Knowing how many people want to play the demo, it might take 3 hours to download it off of the servers.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I'm going to try and get the demo during the Super Bowl. Knowing how many people want to play the demo, it might take 3 hours to download it off of the servers.[/QUOTE]

downloaded it this morning...didnt take long at all

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I tried playing out all the possibilities, but I never even thought to just leave. I was sorta bummed out that whatever choices you made the story progressed the same but I guess ignoring that all together would change something... hopefully. I loved the first part of the demo, the FBI part not so much. Stupid forensic tech glove is so gimmicky.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Especially considering this takes place less than 2 years from now. It reminded me of Detective Mode in Batman, only for some reason this annoyed me more.

[quote name='Malik112099']Played through as much of the demo as I could stand.
The fight was ok (sucks knowing that you still win the fight even if you do nothing..i thought your characters could die any time?).
After the
fight
Lauren was like "Are you ok?" with ZERO emotion. That bitch was a zombie. The
crime scene
was grueling. The animations are badly recycled (at least give me 3 or 4 different ones to look at). The camera angle change would be nice if you could take control of the camera. While
scanning
the ground it would be nice to know if my
magical glove picked up anything behind me.
There also seems to be no reason to do something the "right" way sometimes. After I climbed the hill next to the highway I was going back down and slipped. Nothing bad happened. So instead of dealing with tapping buttons like a tard I just let the guy slip/fall down again. Nothing negative happened because of it. No motivation there to have him climb down the right way.

This seriously just became a tech demo with built in QTE for me. The tech demo aspect is further solidified by the close ups of the characters faces while the game is loading. It is like someone said "I loved the cut scenes during MGS4 but need something to do while watching them."

Definite pass.[/QUOTE]

So...youd rather
die than have the character change if you get beat up? Neat

[quote name='Malik112099']this is the type of thing that makes me think it is mediocre but you are so overhyped for this game that you are going to give it bj's, bake it pies and knit it sweaters no matter how good/bad it is. Trembling?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Soodmeg']Yeah, I tend to agree.

[/QUOTE]

You guys don't realize how rare it is for me to be genuinely excited about a game. I NEVER hype up for games like this. I'm always interested in games, and say "yeah, I'll play that, looks cool" and that's about it, but this game is just so different from anything I've tried before. Closet thing is are the better scenes from Indigo Prohecy when it wasn't Simon Says.

And yes, 'trembling'. Don't know about you guys, but I played this in a dark room, on a 55" screen, with some slight bias lighting behind the screen, late last night. I wanted to make sure I could soak this game up. The studio considers it a 'cinematic experience' and I was treating it like one.

I was glued to the screen, and felt the same kind of tension I do during better parts of dialogue heavy movies. The fact that I was helping move the story along with dialogue choices in a limited time, being able to move as I talked, sit on the bed with her, lean against her, observe the whole room, I just loved the touches like that, I made it my own dramatic experience.

You can't die in these scenes, and the outcome isn't too different depending on what you do, but as the studio mentioned, you can't "fail/die" in the early parts of the game, it's later when bad choices or missteps do come with severe or fatal consequences.

VA wasn't perfect, animation wasn't perfect, but it hardly matters when overall it does it's job to suck you in, like any good medium.

If this game doesn't suck you in, then it isn't for you.

I really liked the demo. It reaffirmed my need to pre-order this game.

I enjoyed the first part more than the second. Primarily b/c I'm borderline OCD with that type of stuff. Hopefully there's some sort of indication when it's okay to move on.

Also, I was expecting to be blown away by the graphics. The second scene didn't look that great IMO.

[quote name='seanr1221']So...youd rather
die than have the character change if you get beat up? Neat
[/QUOTE]

He doesnt have to die but after you get your ass kicked the guy could still leave and then zombie bitch ass Lauren can help you up on your feet, thank you and you still leave. It doesn't make sense to do nothing and still win the fight. It is almost as if the QTE events are optional but the story will still progress either way. Much like just letting the FBI guy fall down the hill next to the highway. No reason to do the QTE events especially since you makes it down the hill fast by slipping down it.

[quote name='dallow']You guys don't realize how rare it is for me to be genuinely excited about a game. I NEVER hype up for games like this. I'm always interested in games, and say "yeah, I'll play that, looks cool" and that's about it, but this game is just so different from anything I've tried before. Closet thing is are the better scenes from Indigo Prohecy when it wasn't Simon Says.

And yes, 'trembling'. Don't know about you guys, but I played this in a dark room, on a 55" screen, with some slight bias lighting behind the screen, late last night. I wanted to make sure I could soak this game up. The studio considers it a 'cinematic experience' and I was treating it like one.

I was glued to the screen, and felt the same kind of tension I do during better parts of dialogue heavy movies. The fact that I was helping move the story along with dialogue choices in a limited time, being able to move as I talked, sit on the bed with her, lean against her, observe the whole room, I just loved the touches like that, I made it my own dramatic experience.[/QUOTE]

I played it on a 65" 1080p screen in a dark room and the only trembling that happened was the controller as I let magical glove $$$ fall down the hill.

I gather that you are less a gamer and more a movie man. So making a semi-choose your own adventure movie that you have a little bit of control over is right up your alley.

Also, why they hell do you have to hold R2 and then push the LS in the irection you want to walk? Why doesnt LS just make you walk?

[quote name='dallow']I explained why that is.
You can't fail severely in this early scene in the game.[/QUOTE]

So what is the point in playing if the game will progress if you do nothing?

Do nothing? The only thing you can "skip" and not play is the fight.
It won't progress unless you do anything else and just stand in the hallway forever.

This is all a setup to the meat of the game.

[quote name='Malik112099']Also, why they hell do you have to hold R2 and then push the LS in the irection you want to walk? Why doesnt LS just make you walk?[/QUOTE]

I explained this in the deals thread, but how would you suggest turning then? Considering that so much of the game's other interactions rely on using both sticks, mapping a one direction walk to a multi-direction input would be wasteful and impractical. Sure, it's a little awkward, but it opens up the sticks for many other uses, and it's not a game killer. If you can't get past it, you just don't want to like this game. Recognize that, and move on.

[quote name='dallow']Demo blew me away, especially the first scene.

It's unbelievable.
Best game of 2010 for me, I can already tell....... well, maybe Yakuza 3 can top it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I agree (minus GOTY 2010 - *cough* ME2 *cough*) But the game is wonderful. With that being said, here is how I predict the reviews to be:
10/10
6/10
5/5
5/10
9.5/10
4/10

I really feel like people wont GET it and will be expecting something else and be very disappointed. And for those that do GET it will be in love. Like Mass Effect 2... you read the reader reviews it goes from 9-10 to 0-4. It all really depends on your mindset going into it...

The demo was really cool. My first time through
I paid the guy for the location of Lauren and messed up the conversation so she wouldn't talk. Then I went through the fight perfectly, which was a pretty good way to handle action scenes in that way.

The second time,
I just walk past the guy behind the screen and knocked on every door, which nobody else answered besides Lauren anyway. I managed to get her to talk with a different approach, though nothing really came up either way. I looked around first and put money on the table before the conversation and still put the card on there afterward. I let Scott get roughed up a bit in the fight and he was hobbling a lot more on the way out and Lauren seemed to be a bit more warm when thanking him as he left.

The crime scene
was also interesting, as I had him drink the coffee and stumble upon the stuff near the hill before finding Blake and follow him around, which is hard when you walk faster than him to cause the camera to swirl around a bit. I was hoping for more interaction with stuff outside of the crime scene (bouncer, crowd, cops by the giant puddle) and the puddle doesn't even react when he backs up into it to end that segment.

I'll definitely be checking out the full game and hoping it's not full of supernatural shit like Indigo Prophecy.

[quote name='dallow']You guys don't realize how rare it is for me to be genuinely excited about a game. I NEVER hype up for games like this. I'm always interested in games, and say "yeah, I'll play that, looks cool" and that's about it, but this game is just so different from anything I've tried before. Closet thing is are the better scenes from Indigo Prohecy when it wasn't Simon Says.

I was glued to the screen, and felt the same kind of tension I do during better parts of dialogue heavy movies. The fact that I was helping move the story along with dialogue choices in a limited time, being able to move as I talked, sit on the bed with her, lean against her, observe the whole room, I just loved the touches like that, I made it my own dramatic experience.

You can't die in these scenes, and the outcome isn't too different depending on what you do, but as the studio mentioned, you can't "fail/die" in the early parts of the game, it's later when bad choices or missteps do come with severe or fatal consequences.

VA wasn't perfect, animation wasn't perfect, but it hardly matters when overall it does it's job to suck you in, like any good medium.

If this game doesn't suck you in, then it isn't for you.[/QUOTE]

:roll: Cooooommmmmmeeeee Ooooonnnnn.

Dallow, no one here is trying to ruin your experience with the game. Trust me when I say that I hope you play this game and it is everything you dream of.

But you are completely over the top man. The game deserve all the credit in the world for simply being unique but unique =/= amazing. The demo was very good but does show of some things that might not gel together.

You have run past the line of fanboy and the game hasnt even come out yet. You are acting like this game can have no faults what so ever when there is some very clear portions of the game that can fall flat on its face, the mall scene springs to mind.

I am excited for the game also but shit like, "I think people just wont get it," is such a fucking cop out. Whether or not someone thinks the game is good or not has no relation to, "getting it," and you can brush off legitimate complaints with a generic tag like that. The biggest problem I for see is if the developer forgot they were making a "game," in favor of basically a 10 hour cut scene with QTE. No matter how cinematic you can not pass of QTE has a game.

Because the thing I dont want to do is feel like I am watching and not playing.

Well.. then sood... pop in a copy of Gears of War. I don't get why people bash games like Mass Effect, Metal Gear and now Heavy Rain because it is like "you are watching a movie". Where you will use it as a negative, I will use that same line as a positive. I don't need in ALL my games to have "sweet jumping and gun shooting! RADICAL!" sometimes I like to watch an interactive movie. Why do you have to fault it for that? Why not, just not play/watch it? IF it is not your type of experience, then just leave it alone. I'm not trolling around Sports game threads or reviewing them when I have zero interest in that genre. (This is not all directed at Sood...)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Well.. then sood... pop in a copy of Gears of War. I don't get why people bash games like Mass Effect, Metal Gear and now Heavy Rain because it is like "you are watching a movie". Where you will use it as a negative, I will use that same line as a positive. I don't need in ALL my games to have "sweet jumping and gun shooting! RADICAL!" sometimes I like to watch an interactive movie. Why do you have to fault it for that? Why not, just not play/watch it? IF it is not your type of experience, then just leave it alone. I'm not trolling around Sports game threads or reviewing them when I have zero interest in that genre. (This is not all directed at Sood...)[/QUOTE]

QFT. :applause:

What the fuck are you talking about? This is why its so hard to really talk video games with people.

This is going to completely fail (the topic not the game) because people will just get their panties in a bunch because not everyone instantly fell in love with the game when it was first announced. I have said a single negative thing about the game yet other than noting that the game is not perfect but now I am lumped in with the Gears of War halo frat boys? I havent said many times that the game deserves a lot of credit for simply trying something new I am simply reserving judgment on whether nor not it worked until I play it. Instead of stating that its the greatest thing ever while only played a 10 min demo.

Just like I said earlier, if you didnt like donnie darko you must have not gotten it due to only watching Die Hard and Rush Hour movies.

EDIT: I do get it though. I understand that many people will be turned off by the fact that its not the latest shooter but just because those few people will hate it doesnt mean the game shouldnt be looked at critically. I want this game to do well but just because I want it to do well doesnt mean it is.

Remember that there is a reason why 100 shooters come out a year because people know how to make shooters work. When you try something completely new you take a large risk of it just blowing up in your face. Now we should give them all the credit in the world for simply trying something new but you cant crown the game without merit.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I can already tell this is going to be the Donnie Darko of video games. Something that is probably slightly above mediocre at best masked by the true diehards claim that you, "Dont get what they were trying to do."[/QUOTE]

I think this is a bit of an attack on people who may like the game. I haven't played it, I can't say one way or the other. But it is OK to be blown away by it and it is OK not to like it. But there is no point in saying that people who don't like it "don't get it" and the same applies to people who really like it... no need to say they are some weird diehards.

My response isn't trying to call you out, Soodmeg. Just using this as an example to try to head some nasty stuff off at the pass. Clearly the thread is heading in that direction.

Something not being your cup of tea does not automatically make it slightly above mediocre.

And for the record, I am not a Donnie Darko fan. :lol:

EDIT - Figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I would argue that by merit of Heavy Rain being a RISK, it deserves to be cut a little more slack than the average shooter. This is not to say that it should be beyond reproach, but the fact that it is a brand new experience should in itself provide you with more entertainment than a shooter that suffers from the same flaws (unless of course, you just don't like the genre..but then I'd ask "why are you here?")

I would compare this to a game like Mirror's Edge. Personally, I loved that game. I thought it was incredibly creative, and brought a completely fresh feeling and new perspective to action games. It wasn't without flaw, but I had a great time with it BECAUSE it wasn't like 20 other games sitting on store shelves. I feel that Heavy Rain will do the same thing for the adventure genre.

I agree that people can go overboard in the praising Heavy Rain too early. But again, I think the reason it's getting people excited is because it's not a sequel or a God of War rip off. You just have to separate the people strictly hyping the game and the people appreciating what it is. It just makes sense for people to be more excited about a new experience than they would be for Madden 11. Just like with games on the Wii, the ones I end up enjoying the most are the ones that think outside the box and offer something new. Sadly, that's become a rare thing.

Nice discussion and lol @ being lumped with the Gears of War loving frat boys.

I thought demo was perfect, with my one critique being that it did seem like a tech-demo with the close up of the characters during the load screen.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I explained this in the deals thread, but how would you suggest turning then? Considering that so much of the game's other interactions rely on using both sticks, mapping a one direction walk to a multi-direction input would be wasteful and impractical. Sure, it's a little awkward, but it opens up the sticks for many other uses, and it's not a game killer. If you can't get past it, you just don't want to like this game. Recognize that, and move on.[/QUOTE]

So every third person game made needs a button specifically for walking so that you can turn the character with the left stick? :roll:

Come the fuck on.

This thread is quickly spiraling of control into fanboy orgasms and lashings to those who don't want to make love to the hole in the center of the game.

Also, do NOT lump Mass Effect in with MGS4 and this fucking game.

Have any of you thought that maybe just maybe the Demo was a simplified version of how the main level is going to play out?

[quote name='Malik112099']So every third person game made needs a button specifically for walking so that you can turn the character with the left stick? :roll:

Come the fuck on.

This thread is quickly spiraling of control into fanboy orgasms and lashings to those who don't want to make love to the hole in the center of the game.

Also, do NOT lump Mass Effect in with MGS4 and this fucking game.[/QUOTE]
Haha, Malik does not want a 360 exclusive sharing similarities with 2 PS3 exclusives. Surprise!!!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Haha, Malik does not want a 360 exclusive sharing similarities with 2 PS3 exclusives. Surprise!!![/QUOTE]

No..you want to lump in a great 360 exclusive in with 2 questionable PS3 exclusives.

[quote name='wildcpac']Have any of you thought that maybe just maybe the Demo was a simplified version of how the main level is going to play out?[/QUOTE]

When was the last time a demo was released which was more than slightly different than the final release?

bread's done
Back