Heavy Rain is making me see things....

patches48

CAGiversary!
So I just picked up Heavy Rain at Walmart since it dropped in price. I've been really into it. REALLY into it.

Now when I'm around the house doing chores and stuff, I'm seeing arrows, and PS3 buttons. I go to wipe the counter, I see an arrow going up and to the left, then up and to the right. Turn on the faucet with a down arrow. Holding a plate with R1 and L1.

When I have a thought in my head, it's connected to a square, triangle, X, or O.

Damn this game is good... or I'm insane... or maybe both.

Try using the move with it if you can. Lot more natural, maybe you'll be less insane?

But seriously, how good is Heavy Rain? Everything about it is great save for the title.

Is this game really a lot better with the Move? Because it just seems like they're replacing button presses with motions..

I don't know. It might not be the same for everyone. For me, the first time I played the game I found it very immersive. Everything about it, presentation and controls, story and character - it really sucked me into the game. When I went through the second time, with the move, there was just something about making the motions with more of my body instead of simply tilting the dualshock or twirling the analog ticks that brought me into the game even more.

Again, it could just be me, but I think it is worth trying out.

TL;DR: game is wicked fun, but even more fun with the move. IMO

I thought you were going to comment on wishing that you had those epic glasses that the detective has as that's what got me all riled up.

I still laugh whenever I think of that one scene where that guy is looking at him at the police station with the only "WTF ae you doing look" when he's playing that VR game...priceless.

Just started today as well. The game is amazing, will try to finish asap, the only thing that bothers me is movement control. It is so sluggish.

also, I assume Move support requires navigation controller?

When you shut off the system the system starts playing you, maybe you should cut back to two hour time blocks when gaming.

Heavy Rain is a must own on the PS3 PERIOD!!

What's weird about Movement is it's the first "motion control" thing that actually vaugly interests me. Resident Evil 5? Heavy Rain? Dead Space 2's remake of the Wii prequel/shooter? All actually stuff I'm at least vaguely interested in trying, and IMO Movement is pretty clearly the best of the three systems for doing "motion control". Not just me thinking that either, that seems to be what the Giant Bomb guys and others think too, since it's basically Wii controls that work, and Project Shitbox is even worse than Wii controls.

I'd buy Movement if they used normal batteries. Don't want to invest in something with sealed proprietary batteries though.

[quote name='PuppetYuber']Just started today as well. The game is amazing, will try to finish asap, the only thing that bothers me is movement control. It is so sluggish.

also, I assume Move support requires navigation controller?[/QUOTE]

No, you can use the DS3 in your left hand and the Move controller in your right.

Playing through it now with the move controls, they are fun but sometimes aggravating (like when you have to rotate it down and no matter what you do the game doesn't pick it up).

Heavy Rain would have been a surreal experience if it looked as good as the 2006 E3 demo and 90% of the characters didn't have terrible accents. It's still a great game though...

[quote name='Vinny']Heavy Rain would have been a surreal experience if it looked as good as the 2006 E3 demo and 90% of the characters didn't have terrible accents. It's still a great game though...[/QUOTE]

Living near Philly, the setting also bothers me. It's like they almost made Philadelphia but then randomly changed parts of it. There's one part where you can see a map of Center City with even the SEPTA tracks labeled. If they wanted it to be Philadelphia, then just make it Philadelphia. You can also tell it was made by Europeans since they do things like label the first floor of the motel as the one above the ground level. It's not a huge deal, but it does seem a bit off.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']No, you can use the DS3 in your left hand and the Move controller in your right. [/QUOTE]

Why would I want to do that? Why not just play with the controller if you're still going to have it in one hand?

And enough with the Project Shitbox junk. No reason to hate on MS in a Heavy Rain thread.

[quote name='depascal22']And enough with the Project Shitbox junk. No reason to hate on MS in a Heavy Rain thread.[/QUOTE]

I'm not. I'm hating on "Motion Controls". Hate that the Cagcast started wussing out and not referring to these by their proper names, Project Shitbox and Movement.

[quote name='depascal22']Why would I want to do that? Why not just play with the controller if you're still going to have it in one hand?

And enough with the Project Shitbox junk. No reason to hate on MS in a Heavy Rain thread.[/QUOTE]

You only use the left side of the DS3- the analog stick and the L1/L2 buttons (mostly L2). I find it fun to do the motions using the Move controller and I think it's a waste to spend $30 on the nav controller which is just the left side of the DS3 in a different format.

Does sound awkward, so I'd just buy the other...sub controller, whatever it's called.

Can you use those controllers plugged in realistically? Or do you have to use them wirelessly?

The Nav Controller is what it's callled.

I wouldn't recommend using the Move controller plugged in, but it uses the same USB charging system as the DS3 so you can charge it while playing non-Move games or plug it into the computer to charge.

Darn...see I just hate that the battery will die, so I'd rather be able to use it wired :whistle2:/ Otherwise I'd actually buy one now, with the number of games I already own and am going to buy anyway that support it!

[quote name='thegreatbelow']I don't know. It might not be the same for everyone. For me, the first time I played the game I found it very immersive. Everything about it, presentation and controls, story and character - it really sucked me into the game. When I went through the second time, with the move, there was just something about making the motions with more of my body instead of simply tilting the dualshock or twirling the analog ticks that brought me into the game even more.

Again, it could just be me, but I think it is worth trying out.

TL;DR: game is wicked fun, but even more fun with the move. IMO[/QUOTE]same here, always played the game on hard cause I didn't notice any difference from normal and barely missed any of the actions. With the move I seemed to be more anxious and ancy throughout the game....any simple things i hated in my first playthrough (like starting your car and putting it into gear) I actually Really didn't mind doing with the move cause it was so natural

EDIT: Holding the dualshock in one hand resting on your lap or at your side is not nearly as difficult or uncomfortable as one would think. Seriously took me bout 10 mins to get used too. At first that's all your thinking about, "the best way" to hold it. Once you get immersed into the game it's like any other game.....you don't realize it's there (if you get me).

As for the battery life...don't quote me but I think it's 14 hours or so? It's a better battery than the dualshock because it does use more juice. Sooo, unless your doing a gaming marathon or intense back to back sessions...I don't see the issue at all with it being wireless. Would you rather it be wired and swinging your cords around like your playing a mean game of double dutch....or constantly be replacing batteries like the wii?!

Isn't it weird how something as simple as motion controls in a game like this draws you into the drama that much more? Kinda interesting.

[quote name='shadowkast']Would you rather it be wired and swinging your cords around like your playing a mean game of double dutch....or constantly be replacing batteries like the wii?![/QUOTE]

I'd pick either of those options. I don't know how long batteries last in the Wii for me, but it's never been an issue. I just throw my NiMHs in there, and they're ancient ones from 2002. I'd much rather everything just use standard batteries like that.

Don't want to invest in something that's going to quit working in 2 or 3 years or whatever.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd pick either of those options. I don't know how long batteries last in the Wii for me, but it's never been an issue. I just throw my NiMHs in there, and they're ancient ones from 2002. I'd much rather everything just use standard batteries like that.

Don't want to invest in something that's going to quit working in 2 or 3 years or whatever.[/QUOTE]
understandable. I wouldn't say 2-3 years but yeah...never thought about say 7-10 years down the road:joystick:#-o...good point.

rechargeable eneloops for my needs:)

bread's done
Back