Hell Freezes Over: Call of Duty 4 more popular than Halo 3

Ya not terribly surprised...CoD4 is a hit right now...everyones playing it on my friends list, this forum, etc. But, Halo 3 will keep its activity at a similar level for a long time...while CoD4's is gonna drop faster as new shooters come out and people max out the levels and such. The fan base is just a little different there...
Kinda surprised at AC being probably the top game that people play singly though.

[quote name='jer7583']well, people are shallow, what can you expect. Most younger people and a lot of dumb older ones just get involved in anything for the image it provides. CoD4 is cooler and more hip than either TF2 or Halo with their bright colors and space aliens, so naturally it's going to have a wider appeal, especially among the "GUTTA SHOT DEM TURRISTS" middle america crowd.

More popular doesn't mean more better. And yes, this is very much like the 3-4 month later backlash anything popular gets. CoD4 is just mainstream trash.[/quote]

So basically your point boils down to, "Blah blah rawr mainstream sucks, people want to shoot terrorists."

[quote name='jughead']I never thought I would say this, but "I haven't played Halo 3 in like... 2 months!"[/quote]
qft.. i used to be good around launch, fired up a quick game a while ago, went 2-10 or somethin like that and thought to myself this shit just isnt fun anymore. Haven't played it since.

Whats wrong with liking Call of Duty 4 alot more than Halo 3at this point? I honestly thought it got old with melees. Maybe once some major changes happen, and the new maps are required in a ranked playlist, ill enjoy Halo 3 alot more again.

I sold Halo 3 like a couple weeks after buying COD4, mainly because I got back what I paid for it. I may rebuy it later though, since the online community will be alive for so long.

[quote name='jer7583']well, people are shallow, what can you expect. Most younger people and a lot of dumb older ones just get involved in anything for the image it provides. CoD4 is cooler and more hip than either TF2 or Halo with their bright colors and space aliens, so naturally it's going to have a wider appeal, especially among the "GUTTA SHOT DEM TURRISTS" middle america crowd.
[/QUOTE]

That's one of the stupidist statements I've read in a while.

I don't like CoD4 online more because of the graphics, because it's "hip", because of the real world setting with terrorists (actually like scifi shooters better).

I like it more because the challenges, leveling up, unlocking guns give me something to play for. And it suits my skill level better. I still suck, but I have several games were I'm at least +3-5 kills now as I can sneak around, get the drop on people and kill them with one or two quick bursts. I try that in halo, the person doesn't die as it takes so many hits to kill, and then they start jumping around like a maniac and kill me because my aim sucks and there's doesn't as they manage to nail me while jumping all over the place while I'm not hitting them at all. :lol:

Or in short, I prefer CoD4 for the GAMEPLAY. Not for anything else.

More popular doesn't mean more better. And yes, this is very much like the 3-4 month later backlash anything popular gets. CoD4 is just mainstream trash.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Halo needs to break out into the mainstream and get the respect it truly deserves.

Well, I think it's some of this 'n' some of that. No doubt that many a discerning gamer will prefer CoD4 for perfectly legitimate and easily understood reasons, while a lot of its success has to do with mainstreamers immersing themselves in a more, well, 'mainstream' scenario (modern war). This could be anyone from my intelligent friend who has a borderline allergic reaction towards anything vaguely sci-fi (although he did love Halo 3, probably because he got it free and because it's still strongly tied in to our planet and traditional 'epic war film' set pieces), to the "Git-R-Done" crowd that really wants to experience their ultimate 21st-century fantasy of clearing out Middle-Eastern towns on their own. There's also the element of The Contrarian Gamer, who has been picking on the Halo franchise for quite some time now, and champions whatever its most direct competition is.

Me, I think this isn't very surprising news at all, as Master Chief's pop culture arch has got to be on the way down, now. Three games, six-plus years of hysteria...people just move on organically. Sometimes this is gradual, sometimes it's virtually overnight. Watch the same thing happen with GTA IV.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that another factor is simply the Halo Xbox Live experience becoming synonymous with "insufferable a-holes", for a greater population than just the "gaming crowd". It's the 'poster boy' for everything that's bad about playing games with strangers online, and this creates a self-fulfilling prophecy, or at the very least, severely diminishes the amount of relatively civil and mature people from even setting foot into its arenas. It also stands to reason that 'the kids' won't abandon it for a very long time, as it's much easier to jump in and fuck around in than so many other shooters on Live right now. And no, I don't think UT III will draw these brats away en masse.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Me, I think this isn't very surprising news at all, as Master Chief's pop culture arch has got to be on the way down, now. Three games, six-plus years of hysteria...people just move on organically. Sometimes this is gradual, sometimes it's virtually overnight. Watch the same thing happen with GTA IV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, true.

My opinion: I think that Halo belongs in the ranks of classic multiplayer FPS such as Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, Painkiller, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc. I think that CoD4 will be forgotten as soon as five rolls out. I dunno. I don't know many people that reminisce about the older ones.

[quote name='doubledown']I'm really surprised by this. I would say most 360 users own Halo 3, while not all own CoD4 (at least in respect to my circle of friends). Although, I have been playing CoD4 more lately. It grew on me...at first, I didn't like online, now I love it.[/QUOTE]

thats funny I don't own either..

I do own orange box (and half life 2 on the old xbox) and of course I'm going to try my hand at that one.. I also enjoy gears of war.. it really did deserve all that hype it got (you see, just got an xbox like a few weeks ago)

I don't think i'd like CoD4.. military games aren't my style.. I would prefer Halo 3.. scifi shooter.

[quote name='seanr1221']Good. I haven't touched Halo since a couple weeks after it came out. I don't see how running and shooting everything blindly is fun.[/QUOTE]

If that's how you play Halo, then it's no wonder that you don't like it.

Call of Duty 4's multiplayer is alot more straight forward. You see someone, you shoot them with a few rounds and they die.
In that way, COD4 is new user friendly and alot of people just enjoy that type of shooter.

In Halo, alot of the time you really have to pay attention to alot of different factors before you even start to pull the trigger. If you don't, then any decent player is going to make lunch meat out of you. I think alot people just get frustrated by the game before they even learn the how to play it properly.

[quote name='Puzznic']If that's how you play Halo, then it's no wonder that you don't like it.

Call of Duty 4's multiplayer is alot more straight forward. You see someone, you shoot them with a few rounds and they die.
In that way, COD4 is new user friendly and alot of people just enjoy that type of shooter.

In Halo, alot of the time you really have to pay attention to alot of different factors before you even start to pull the trigger. If you don't, then any decent player is going to make lunch meat out of you. I think alot people just get frustrated by the game before they even learn the how to play it properly.[/quote]

I think what you just said is incredibly accurate.

Just anecdotally listening to podcasts a lot of people who aren't as "hardcore" seem to prefer the multiplayer in COD4 over Halo. It's a lot more forgiving and it always feels like you're working towards something.

Personally, I much prefer Halo, but COD4 is certainly a great game.

I think one aspect that make people want to play CoD4 is the RPG element in online mode. Unlocking new perks and weapons is definitely a plus -- especially your first time playing. Hell, I spent an extra hour or two just to gain that extra rank so I could get bandolier, a perk I had no clue what it was besides the picture (which shows two clips). Certainly, for someone that doesn't go look up these perks/new weapons in advance, it has a bit of a surprise element. Moreover, there is definitely prestige mode and rank.

Just today, I purchased a much-needed headset from Gstop. I joined like 4 games (only played 30m), and in that time-frame inside different games I heard people like "oh my god, look at all these high levels" or something along those lines. I think people just want to keep on playing and keep on playing and get that high rank just so they can look "godly".

Just my
istockphoto_225346_give_your_two_cents_worth.jpg

Both are great FPS's, but both are pretty much uncomparable. CoD4 is a modern-day FPS. While Halo3 is a more futuristic shooter. Although both are FPS's, I think CoD4 holds a much more realistic aura to it. Halo3 is a much more unique game in its 'futuristic' aspect. Games such as CoD4 will most likely always please. For example, Counter Strike. There are still TONS of people that play both CS:S and CS. The game has been out for years and it still appeals.

[quote name='urzishra14']thats funny I don't own either..

I do own orange box (and half life 2 on the old xbox) and of course I'm going to try my hand at that one.. I also enjoy gears of war.. it really did deserve all that hype it got (you see, just got an xbox like a few weeks ago)

I don't think i'd like CoD4.. military games aren't my style.. I would prefer Halo 3.. scifi shooter.[/quote]

I would suggest giving both a quick rental, at the very least. I only picked up CoD 4 because it was on sale for $38, and I'd gotten a Target gift card for Christmas, and I liked it WAY more than I thought I was going to.

[quote name='Puzznic']
[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that, and already listed that as reason I prefer CoD4.

I suck at aiming with dual analog controls. Like I said, if I shoot some one with a few bursts in the back in halo, most of the time they're going to jump around and kill me by consistently hitting me in the head with their superior aiming skills while I'm missing them now that they're moving around all over the place.

In CoD4, they're dead before they have a chance to turn around, so at least I can semi hold my own on some maps.

I'd hope I'd get better at the aiming, but I've been playing dual analog games since Medal of Honor on the PS1 and I still suck!

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd agree with that, and already listed that as reason I prefer CoD4.

I suck at aiming with dual analog controls. Like I said, if I shoot some one with a few bursts in the back in halo, most of the time they're going to jump around and kill me by consistently hitting me in the head with their superior aiming skills while I'm missing them now that they're moving around all over the place.

In CoD4, they're dead before they have a chance to turn around, so at least I can semi hold my own on some maps.

I'd hope I'd get better at the aiming, but I've been playing dual analog games since Medal of Honor on the PS1 and I still suck![/quote]

You could buy the Wii -- with MoH:Heroes 2, it's more hand-eye coordination, as you actually have to point the cursor to aim, instead of an analog stick.

[quote name='jer7583']Well, what the mainstream likes is usually the crappiest, so it's about time that came true again.

I, Personally hate CoD4 and think it's a big, overrated steaming pile of garbage. If people had any taste, they'd be playing TF2.[/QUOTE]
I forgot, you must be one of those "if it's alternative, it's cool" people. If you think COD4 sucks that bad, I would have to honestly say you have crappy taste.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']You could buy the Wii -- with MoH:Heroes 2, it's more hand-eye coordination, as you actually have to point the cursor to aim, instead of an analog stick.[/QUOTE]

I do have a Wii. Not a ton of interest in that game though, as I'm having a lot of fun with CoD4, and like my FPS games to have nice HD graphics. And I do have fun with Halo 3 as well, I just suck worse at it!

I was part kidding, as I have gotten much better at aiming, but still have a long ways to go!

And I'm not sure my aiming in Metroid Prime 3 (with a similar point to aim scheme) was any better than my dual analog aiming as I don't have the steadiest hands in the world.

A few thoughts. I play both because I feel I get two different kinds of play experiences. Switching to H3 after COD makes me wish there was a sprint button in H3 hopefully that gets in there next time. Also I think a lot of people are turned off by the broken meelee system.

I think why people are flocking to COD is because Halo honestly didn't change much from the second outing and people are fatigued on playing and needed something new. To me COD is a good mix of about 70% Battlefield (Sans vehicles) and 30% CS (without the heavy hacking thankfully) two proven FPS games. I really feel its getting heavy play as a changeup to Halo but eventually Halo will climb to the top again. Especially after all the young kids migrate to COD(

First off just because CoD tops the charts one week certainely does not mean that Halo 3 is 'sinking', that's just stupid to say and/or think. And as for which game is better I think it's too hard to compare considering they are completely different. If I had to pick though...Halo 3 because it's a little more mindless.

[quote name='docvinh']I forgot, you must be one of those "if it's alternative, it's cool" people. If you think COD4 sucks that bad, I would have to honestly say you have crappy taste.[/QUOTE]

If enjoying 2008's best selling game of the year makes me a "If it's alternative It's cool" person, then guilty as charged.

I love Halo 3, online and off.

Call of Duty 4's linear enemy spawning, trial and error, no flow single player frustrated me more than almost any other game I've played. And before you blame it on skill, note that I did complete and very much enjoy Call of Duty 2 on veteran. Call of Duty 4 has none of the things I enjoy about multiplayer shooters. it's all about who shoots first, or who shoots while the other person isn't looking. There's no element of randomness that makes for memorable moments. There's no sense of advantage or getting yourself out of situations. Halo 3 has these situations that emerge naturally from the game, both in single and multiplayer, because the game is such a well designed sandbox experience. CoD4 is a rollercoaster ride. Halo is a game.

I've enjoyed plenty of realistic shooters, like GRAW, R6:Vegas, Counter Strike, and the like, but CoD4 is just boring and offers nothing new. I guess, I don't overlook all its flaws because of the cool gunship level and the pretty graphics, though. The vehicles alone in halo make for a more fun and satisfying online game, in my opinion. I'm not looking for something realistic and purely about shooting, though.

And you can check my gamercard about all of those games mentioned, in case you still think I'm some kind of poser. I play just about anything I can.

I'm not surprised, I knew while playing the beta that it was something special. While everyone (not everyone, but quite a few people) were bitching and moaning about the graphics. :roll:

To be fair, I guess people were doing that with the Halo 3 beta as well.

I'll play CoD4 over Halo 3 any day now. I haven't touched Halo since October. I was pretty put off from Halo because it's awful melee system, awful respawns (it's not fun to spawn with the opposing team 3 - 5 times a match), how bullet recogonition was a hit or miss some times, etc etc. Now don't get me wrong .. I was good at Halo, have been playing in Lans and such since Halo 1, but Halo 3 ruined it all for me.

Now CoD4 ... it's perfect. I play pretty much every game mode which makes it a balanced feeling between a run and gun or a sit and shoot. The leveling up is a big plus too.

Yet to say CoD4 doesn't take as much "thinking" or "skill" as Halo is just spouting out bull. That's like saying Counter Strike took none of this. These games all take the same amount of skill. A skilled CoD4 player will rip anyone to shreds if you don't take skilled precautions. Seriously what kind of comment was that? It's like saying a fighting game takes no skills and to just mash buttons. Halo plays the same way when it comes to killing people as CoD ... you see someone, you toss 10000 gernades and AR spam, or BR them, or rocks, or shotgun. The only difference is that Halo is faster paced.

[quote name='jer7583']

I love Halo 3, online and off.

Call of Duty 4's linear enemy spawning, trial and error, no flow single player frustrated me more than almost any other game I've played. And before you blame it on skill, note that I did complete and very much enjoy Call of Duty 2 on veteran. Call of Duty 4 has none of the things I enjoy about multiplayer shooters. it's all about who shoots first, or who shoots while the other person isn't looking. There's no element of randomness that makes for memorable moments. There's no sense of advantage or getting yourself out of situations. Halo 3 has these situations that emerge naturally from the game, both in single and multiplayer, because the game is such a well designed sandbox experience. CoD4 is a rollercoaster ride. Halo is a game.

[/quote]

But isn't all shooters, "Who shoots while the other isn't looking" or "Who shoots first" or "Who got in more headshots"? What makes Halo so much more "random" then CoD?

I've yet to play TF2 (haven't the time or cash atm) so I'm not comparing TF2 to anything. I just want to know how Halo's multiplayer is more random then CoD. Is it the crappy melee or the "Alright I spawned, hey you 4 aren't on my team .... 3 ... 2 ... 1 Alright I spawned"

Well, opinions are opinions.

I had no fun playing Call of Duty 4, so I don't play it.
I have fun playing Halo 3 and TF2, so I play it. Just trying to explain why. The reasons aren't because "i'm trying to be alternative" or "I have bad taste"

[quote name='jer7583']Well, opinions are opinions.

I have fun playing Halo 3 and TF2, so I play it. Just trying to explain why. The reasons aren't because "i'm trying to be alternative" or "I have bad taste"[/quote]

Aye and it's all good .. opinions are opinions. TF2 is a must play on my list, I'm just waiting for it to go down in price or find it cheap in general.

[quote name='jer7583']Well, opinions are opinions.

I have fun playing Halo 3 and TF2, so I play it. Just trying to explain why. The reasons aren't because "i'm trying to be alternative" or "I have bad taste"[/quote]

You do enjoy telling people how shitty COD4 is and how much you hate it any chance you get though.

[quote name='strikeratt']you see someone, you toss 10000 gernades and AR spam, or BR them, or rocks, or shotgun. The only difference is that Halo is faster paced.[/QUOTE]

Or rocks...?

I have not touched Halo since I got COD4, and I have not touched COD4 since I got Mass Effect.

I get streaky with my gaming. I really really liked Halo 3, I thought the vehicles were fun, playing as the unstoppable Master Chief was fun, though the jumping or what I like to call "rocket hopping" did really really annoy me. Jumping in Halo 3 is really ridiculous IMO.

COD4 is more realistic, and has about the same amt of diversity as Halo 3 (Swap vehicles in halo for helicopters and gunships in COD4). Overall I'd say COD4 is better than Halo 3 IMO b/c I spent alot more hrs playing COD, the gaming community is older and more mature and I like that, and I do kind of suck so it is nice for me to have the advantage of being able to level the playing field iwth tactics, camping, perks etc.

Ya Halo 3 is all about being alert all the time, having fast reactions, and being able to follow a guys head properly and not run into the fight (If you do, you'll not get many kills with just a regular br or ar or w/e)

In CoD, I can run into a crowd of people sometimes with an SMG and take them all out in seconds. It's a much easier game to get kills on..and ya I'm pretty good at Halo 3, but CoD you can often get such huge K/D ratios, and with perks, it can be really fun.

[quote name='Trakan']You do enjoy telling people how shitty COD4 is and how much you hate it any chance you get though.[/QUOTE]

Im sure my voice is easily drowned out by the legions praising it. I've also never entered a thread specific to Call of Duty 4 with my nonsense. Thanks. Everybody's got opinions.

I played the heck out of Call of Duty 4 but now am totally burnt out from it. I think I have like 40 hours online. Halo 3 is a game I'd come back and play occassionaly, CoD4 probably isn't. I don't know why, I think it's cause Halo takes a little more skill.

cod4 and halo 3 go back and forth with me, depends what i'm sick of at the moment and what some of my friends are playing

but if you look at the stats the players online on COD4 doesnt compare to Halo3

I dont really give a damn

I Traded in Halo 3 as soon as i got COD4 and I have no regrets whatsoever. I never understood the hype of the Halo trilogy or its fanbase, The single player even with its Co-op is extremely shitty at every possible angle.

COD4 Is my crack, I play its Multi every chance i get. The single player was very memorable and kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end. I'd like to get RSV and experience that as well. (Not a big fan of Tom Clancy, the guy recycles so many plots, Its like watching 24 on repeat)

call of duty 4 is one of the first games I have repeated playing the one player experience (to finish the game now on Vetern). The game is amazing.

[quote name='jer7583']Well, that's all it is, my opinion.
I don't know how many kids I've seen playing TF2 or Halo 3 that will whine and bitch about TF2, saying they can't stand it, or don't want to try it because it's a "fucking Cartoon" and all this crap. People really are stupid.[/quote]

I tried TF2. Hell I bought the Orange Box with the sole intention of playing TF2 and Portal. Portal & Ep1/Ep2 blew me away. TF2 not so much. It's probably because every and I mean EVERY game I got in, I lagged out. Not very fucking fun if you ask me. And this is coming from someone who played TF and CS day in day out back then.

Halo3 and COD4 are pretty damn on the money performance-wise. I think what pisses me off about Halo is that people who play Halo are for the most part like people who play Madden. There can't be a better game in that genre than thiers. It just can't. And that paired with the annoying 12 year old noobs spouting feces from thier mouth of every dirty word in the book like they just learned it turns you off too. No wonder Bungie was touting the new 'mute' feature in Halo 3. It's because you'll be using it...a whole fucking lot.

That's not hell freezing over... it's people finally realizing that there was a brain inside of their head this whole time and listening to it for once.

Good! I'm not really into Halo 3 as I was into the previous 2. COD4 is a pretty good game, especially on Xbox Live. Kudos to COD for getting their respect.

bread's done
Back