Hellgate: London $27.99 @ Amazon

not really flopped. Bought it when it came out and was in the beta. Not worth $60, fun for $30 if you liked d2, etc.

Oh and as to the OP's question, I played it again recently, it is much more stable now (especially for Vista on DX10) then it was when it came out. Does still have a few bugs, but aren't really noticiable, its a much more stable game now (as it should have been on release). Again like I said, its worth picking up for the price.

Easily worth the price, especially now that they've squashed 99% of the bugs. Hellgate London is like a mix of Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online, and it's also one of the first "dungeon crawlers" to get the loot / drop system right since Diablo 2.

Oh, and just an FYI: there is an OPTIONAL subscription fee, but it's pretty much for suckers--99% of the people who play the game don't "subscribe".

[quote name='SNKMat']I heard it flopped[/quote]

I was pushed out the door (by EA, no doubt) with a ton of bugs AND without large portions of the UI being finished; but it's all up to speed now, and it's actually a rather decent online dungeon crawler.

Ugh. I'm gonna wait for $20 or less. Demo didn't sit well with me, the fact it doesn't have LAN support (And they even said something like "Who the fuck cares about LAN?" I DO), the completely bullshit subscription service (I know it's optional, but Guild Wars was even more MMO than Hellgate and didn't try to push a subscription on you. Screw that), the fact that something as simple as hardcore mode is limited to subscription, just... No. I don't really want to support them.

Diablo 2's still my action RPG of choice, which is really kind of sad.

[quote name='AwRy108']Easily worth the price, especially now that they've squashed 99% of the bugs. Hellgate London is like a mix of Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online, and it's also one of the first "dungeon crawlers" to get the loot / drop system right since Diablo 2.

Oh, and just an FYI: there is an OPTIONAL subscription fee, but it's pretty much for suckers--99% of the people who play the game don't "subscribe".[/quote]

The wife and I subscribe. Guess we're suckers for wanting to support developers that provide enjoyable content.

As far as worth, yeah I think the game is definitely worth $30 or so, even without subscribing. The post-release patches have made it nice and stable, and the developers are working on refining the playbalance. It is fun as it is, and if it gets improved with the patches promised in the roadmap on the game website, it'll be exceptional.

This is one thing i hate about pc games, it's easier to release half finished games and just update them later after people have shelled out good money for them. You don't even have to release a fully finished game.:roll:

[quote name='JolietJake']This is one thing i hate about pc games, it's easier to release half finished games and just update them later after people have shelled out good money for them. You don't even have to release a fully finished game.:roll:[/quote]

Just PC games? 360 games might be more stable on release, but I'd say the vast majority of the ones I own have prompted me for an update on first play. I just got prompted for a second update for AC6.

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']The wife and I subscribe. Guess we're suckers for wanting to support developers that provide enjoyable content.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend--I was just trying to avoid being verbose in trying to explain Hellgate's optional subscription (be honest, their model is pretty unorthodox and complicated).

However, I do admit: taking into account the time since the game has launched, Flagship hasn't come anywhere close to compensating their subscribers w/ content above and beyond the stuff that non-subscribers get, too.

Very tempted to pick this up but I'll have to pass as the beta was pretty boring. Also, I found that it ran like absolute crap on my PC, I had to put everything on low and it was still choppy. My computer can run TF2 (I know, older engine, but still) on everything high pretty well, so I was like wtf.

It is starting to approach a price where it is worth picking up. I got it at release and was one of the biggest let downs I have ever had. Some love it, though... Try the demo and see if it is your cup of tea.

[quote name='AwRy108']Sorry, I didn't mean to offend--I was just trying to avoid being verbose in trying to explain Hellgate's optional subscription (be honest, their model is pretty unorthodox and complicated).

However, I do admit: taking into account the time since the game has launched, Flagship hasn't come anywhere close to compensating their subscribers w/ content above and beyond the stuff that non-subscribers get, too.[/quote]

No offense taken. I was just trying to point out that for some there are valid reasons to subscribe. While I agree with you on the additional value for subscribers, at least so far, I am pretty encouraged by the work being put into the game by the developers.

I think that even if I wasn't a subscriber, I'd be pretty unequivocal about saying that this game is worth it for anyone who likes a decent mix of a dungeon crawl with an FPS.

[quote name='JolietJake']This is one thing i hate about pc games, it's easier to release half finished games and just update them later after people have shelled out good money for them. You don't even have to release a fully finished game.:roll:[/QUOTE]

And console games never get released half finished and then promptly ignored.

I am a hardcore FPS player and my preference for Move Forward is always the right mouse button(mouse2). I played the Demo and hated that I couldn't rebind the forward movement key and had to move exclusively with the keyboard because the mouse buttons were hard coded for the two attacks.

Does anyone know if the retail or patched versions still lock down the 2 mouse buttons for attack or if they let you rebind them specifically for move forward on the right mouse button?

Thanks

[quote name='CheapBastardToo']No offense taken. I was just trying to point out that for some there are valid reasons to subscribe. While I agree with you on the additional value for subscribers, at least so far, I am pretty encouraged by the work being put into the game by the developers.

I think that even if I wasn't a subscriber, I'd be pretty unequivocal about saying that this game is worth it for anyone who likes a decent mix of a dungeon crawl with an FPS.[/quote]

I'm not sure that I agree. Not flaming, but I found the game to be completely boring after the 3rd level of "lather, rinse, repeat". While I agree it tries to follow in the D2 mold and offer some variation on the FPS, I thought it was mundane. Not the worse game I ever purchased, but I'd rather reload D2 than sit through another level of this.

To each his own....I'm not knocking your opinion, I'm just stating that the game will not be everyone's cup of tea - even if they liked D2 and like FPS games.

bread's done
Back