Hello from Gogamer

Mike@Gogamer

Official Representative
Hey CAGs,

My name's Michael and I'm writing from my desk at Gogamer.com. Just flitting through the fora, we've noticed a lot of discussion, good and bad, pertaining to Gogamer, so we're officially stepping in to take your questions and feedback.

I may not be aware of all relevant threads, so don't hesitate to PM me with your feedback. BTW, If you have something negative to say, please be rhetorically creative!

Now, since this is the deals section, I suppose I should close my entree with today's Madness. I'm not really here as a solicitor, per se, but mods let me know if posting deals in an official capacity is errant from CAG guidelines :)

good time to get COD: World at War, imo.

Grip-it $3.90* - *After Coupon code - GRIP-IT $ 3.90
NAOS 3200 $49.90* - *After Coupon code - NAOS32 $ 49.90
X-Tatic SP Headset $59.90* - *After Coupon code - XTATIC $ 59.90
PC Police Simulator (I) $ 31.90
PS3 Fallout Vegas $ 49.90
Xbox 360 Fallout Vegas $ 49.90
PS3 Enslaved $ 49.90
Xbox 360 Enslaved $ 49.90
PS3 Medal of Honor Limited Edition $ 51.90
Xbox 360 Medal of Honor Limited Edition $ 51.90
PC Medal of Honor Limited Edition $ 49.90
PC Civilization V $ 41.90
PC Call of Duty World at War $ 17.90
PC Hidden & Dangerous 2 $ 0.90
PC Two Worlds $ 0.90
PC Crystal Key 2 $ 0.90
PC Neverend $ 0.90
PC Jericho $ 0.90
PC Mercenaries 2 $ 1.90
PC Warhammer Dawn of War GOTY $ 1.90
PC Dark Horizon (I) $ 1.90
PC Legendary $ 2.90
PC Velvet Assassin $ 2.90
PC CivCity Rome $ 2.90
PC Raven Squad $ 3.90
PC Stalker Clear Skies $ 3.90
PC Painkiller Black $ 3.90
PC Trine $ 3.90
PC Call of Duty Deluxe (I) $ 4.90
PS3 Fuel (I) $7.90 – Limit 1
Xbox 360 Supreme Commander $ 9.90
Xbox 360 Blood Bowl $9.90 – Limit 1
Xbox 360 Timeshift $7.90 – Limit 1
Xbox 360 Star Wars Clone Wars $9.90 – limit 1

http://www.gogamer.com/48-Hour-Madness_stcVVcatId553100VVviewcat.htm

Welcome to the board. I thought there was a different rep for Gogamer here, but whatever.

Your listing isn't spaced out at all so it's very hard to read at the moment :( $10 bucks off New Vegas right away is pretty cool though; no PC version for that deal?

I have had nthing but great dealings when it comes to GoGamer.com. I do have one complaint though... You bastards like to take to damn much of my money^^

Yeah, guess I should have previewed that. We can't all have common sense...

checkin w/ the product manager ro see if we can get the PC version on the next madness

Personally, I think you guys are great. I would buy a lot more from you guys but shipping + tax kill the deal for me sometimes. If it wasn't for one or the other you would have more of my business, that and keeping items in stock!

The biggest issue that most people have is the shipping costs. The prices are great for a lot of items, but shipping kills most of the deals.

Welcome GoGamer !! I always love getting my PC games from GoGamer.

is there anyway you could make a coupon code that gave us CAG's free shipping or something ?

I really like Gogamer, but like others have said, the shipping cost often deters me from completing an order. Not always, but pretty often. :(

P.S. Welcome to CAG! I am happy to see you here. :)

Hey mike is gogamer going to have a good deal on call of duty black ops because amazons deal isnt that great.

[quote name='realskillz']Hey mike is gogamer going to have a good deal on call of duty black ops because amazons deal isnt that great.[/QUOTE]

This.

Amazon has really left the door open for someone to sweep in with a great deal and steal a solid amount of orders.

Hi Mike! I just wanna say, there's probably no website that sells PC games that I think is more loved and respected than gogamer. It definitely feels like its operated by gamers

The madness deals are really what I would say 95% of the time is all I check. Don't know if thats a good or bad thing, but considering that your normal stock is either

A. Out of stock (especially older titiles)
B. Strangely overpriced (many titles still at MSRP)

Really, the problem is the dirt cheap shipping. You have SO many sales of games 10 dollars off, like today with new vegas. But honestly, with so many of us having Gamestop or Amazon or Best Buy credit, being 10 dollars off but PLUS shipping of around 4 bucks per item and tax, and I dont see myself buying new releases off of you

Really, what gogamer is good for is finding the game you want for 5 bucks or less and getting it to you for 10

[quote name='Brownjohn']The biggest issue that most people have is the shipping costs. The prices are great for a lot of items, but shipping kills most of the deals.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think you should give free cheap shipping for orders that are over $25 like Amazon do.

ahh, it's good to get direct feedback. Thanks for the support!

The shipping I see you guys talking about a whole lot, and it's one thing I'm personallu very interested in taking another look at. We know it's killing us and it's killing you guys, so I've got support from the CFO and the Warehouse Manager to really dig into it and look for ways to improve.

[quote name='Mike@Gogamer']ahh, it's good to get direct feedback. Thanks for the support!

The shipping I see you guys talking about a whole lot, and it's one thing I'm personallu very interested in taking another look at. We know it's killing us and it's killing you guys, so I've got support from the CFO and the Warehouse Manager to really dig into it and look for ways to improve.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome news! I would definitely throw more of my gaming money your way once you get something going with the shipping.

[quote name='gravel']When are the sales listed in effect? I just checked and it doesn't seem to be live yet.[/QUOTE]

Midnight. But, honestly, the graphics guy is a stud if he can get the landing page up by midnight, since he received the deals like 4 hrs late. Should be real soon, though.

Amazon has really left the door open for someone to sweep in with a great deal and steal a solid amount of orders.

Thanks for the intel; will be informing the product manager.

The only complaint I got from GoGamer is the shipping prices which kills your deal. Kinda like paying sales tax plus a bit extra.

Jason was awesome and he ran shop like no one else, but he moved on to other opportunities in development I think. But he's still a consultant, if you willl

Come on Mike, if amazon.com, buy.com, deepdiscount.com, etc can do free shipping on orders over $25, I am sure gogamer can do it too. Nowadays it seems that most online stores are able to ship for free and those who don't take a hit for this. Be creative so that it makes financial sense for the company and I am sure you guys will get more orders.

[quote name='jjknap']I want to add my two cents...I have also had good luck with GoGamer. Never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

I'll take that $0.02

I always check the 48 Hour Madness deals... I've gotten a few PC games from you guys.

I have 2 "complaints"... shipping costs and the selection of games on the 48 hour madness deals. The games are usually the same ones as the last 48 hr madness before it.

I think you guys do a great job though.... keep it up!

[quote name='oasisboy']Come on Mike, if amazon.com, buy.com, deepdiscount.com, etc can do free shipping on orders over $25, I am sure gogamer can do it too. Nowadays it seems that most online stores are able to ship for free and those who don't take a hit for this. Be creative so that it makes financial sense for the company and I am sure you guys will get more orders.[/QUOTE]

The real struggle there is the classic David v. Goliath scenario, not that I'm demonizing our competition. But the fact is they get waaay better shipping rates with the same carriers because their volume makes us look like an insect. Second, they can take losses on various product lines to hook customers into the program and make a buck on something else. Again, we just don't have the extra margin to use that tactic.

Nonetheless, you are correct. We are def paying the price.

[quote name='Mike@Gogamer']Jason was awesome and he ran shop like no one else, but he moved on to other opportunities in development I think. But he's still a consultant, if you willl[/QUOTE]

Ah, good for Jason then.

Time for you to represent here as well, but I will have to tell you now that since the disappearance of an official GoGamer rep, some other retailers have sent us some wonderful reps and may give you guys a run for your money.

Let the games begin. ;P

Welcome to the boards, nice to have a Gogamer rep here. Much love to your PC game deals, here is hoping for a free shipping madness in the future!

[quote name='Mike@Gogamer']The real struggle there is the classic David v. Goliath scenario, not that I'm demonizing our competition. But the fact is they get waaay better shipping rates with the same carriers because their volume makes us look like an insect. Second, they can take losses on various product lines to hook customers into the program and make a buck on something else. Again, we just don't have the extra margin to use that tactic.

Nonetheless, you are correct. We are def paying the price.[/QUOTE]

I don't think deepdiscount.com is this big monster in the online world, but somehow they are able to afford free shipping on almost anything. If they can do it, I am sure you guys can do it too. Creativity...

[quote name='oasisboy']I don't think deepdiscount.com is this big monster in the online world, but somehow they are able to afford free shipping on almost anything. If they can do it, I am sure you guys can do it too. Creativity...[/QUOTE]

You have any numbers to back up your belief that deepdiscount.com is a small player in the online world?

[quote name='oasisboy']I don't think deepdiscount.com is this big monster in the online world, but somehow they are able to afford free shipping on almost anything. If they can do it, I am sure you guys can do it too. Creativity...[/QUOTE]

Here's a chart,

flat_web_logos.jpg

Basically DeepDiscount does indeed get a huge discount on their shipping.

[quote name='Unicorntard']Ah, Is there anyway you guys can get Macho Man Randy Savage as a poster boy for your MADNESS!!! deals!? :)[/QUOTE]

That would have been cool if it were 20 years ealier.

I've been to GoGamer countless times, I always see great deals, and then I go to the checkout and shipping gets added on, and then I balk. Still good deals, but the smack of shipping charges always gets me. I tend to only buy from places that offer free shipping. Even if you did an Amazon type thing of free shipping over $25 or something, you would have gotten some business from me. I spend a lot on games too, and you're one of the only places I haven't bought from.

I own a business too, so I know how it is with shipping charges. I'm not being harsh or trying to crap all over this thread. I just thought you might like to know the psychology behind this CAG. Shipping always kills it for me. The only times I've ordered from GameStop or Best Buy, have been when they offer free shipping, such as cagsaver at GS.

If you did some deal like that with CAG, you might pick up more business. You may make less per sale, but you may find you make it up in volume and then some.

Thanks for coming on and being open with us. I've never actually ordered anything from GoGamer yet, but I've come close several times. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the shipping is usually what kills the deal (especially, it seems, when ordering multiple games). Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the shipping costs increases pretty linearly with each game. Surely you could just put them all in a bigger box and only charge a little more? Also, there have been several times when I was about to buy something that's on a great deal, only to find it out of stock. Do you guys anticipate an increase in demand for products on sale and stock more copies in your warehouse accordingly?

I'll join in. I have never had an issue with Gogamer. The only hesitation that I ever have is shipping costs, like everyone else is saying, but I know it is necessary. I liked some of the promotions that have been done in recent memory, like a free Grip-its sampler or a PC game. I look forward to a nice black Friday selection from Gogamer. I hope this feedback is of some use, Mike.

[quote name='rpnguyen']You have any numbers to back up your belief that deepdiscount.com is a small player in the online world?[/QUOTE]

Annual sales of DeepDiscount.com = $147.1 million from Sep 09 - Sep 10 with 600 employees

From hoovers.com (need premium access to enter Hoovers)

http://premium.hoovers.com.ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/subscribe/basic/factsheet.xhtml?ID=trschfs

Annual sales of amazon.com = $24.5 BILLION with 24,300 employees in 2009.

http://premium.hoovers.com.ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu/subscribe/co/factsheet.xhtml?ID=hrcsyxxckchhyf

Anything else? You don't fuk with me! :cool:

I always liked Gogamer, been shopping with you guys for years, glad to see a presence here, much like everyone else shipping is a concern......I remember i used to order from you guys almost compulsively because I used to get a go gamer pen in every box....... : )

Way back I remember getting weird extras in orders that I made from Gogamer. I would never know what I would get but it was pretty cool. One time I got a Baldur's Gate II Panama hat in with an order and I have not clue why.

I've used GoGamer for years, but I'd usually rather have a game on Steam now--rather than worry about what kind of copy protection I might be fighting with on a retail copy.

And the one main other thing that soured me a little was when I ordered a "new" webcam and it was an obvious open box/refurb. When I e-mailed about it the response was something along the lines of "it can't be" or something like that.

You guys still have some unique offerings both on imports/harder to find titles and hardware, still love having you guys around.

Glad to hear from an official. Have ordered from GoGamer in the past, and I hope I will continue to in the future.

Psychology of shipping costs 101.

Basically when a consumer sees a price on something they make a decision if it's a good price or not. If they decide it's a good price it now becomes the "normal" price of the item. If the price of the item is then changed by a large margin (typically 20%) then it's no longer a good price in their mind.

So if you see an item for $9.90, and charge $3 shipping the consumer sees the total price of $13 opposed to the $9.90 he mentally bargained for in the first place. Actually this price increase irks the consumer a bit because they see the $9.90 as a previously negotiated price, and are now getting "nickel and dime'd". The worse thing about the whole thing is the consumer is willing to pay $15 for the item in the first place had that been the original price, but the fluctuation between the initial selling price, and the checkout price actually tricks the consumer into thinking it's not a good deal.

My advice to retailers is to never charge the consumer more than 10% of what you offer. Anything more and consumers view you as being deceptive. Even if they are legitimate costs to you.

Now how you incorporate shipping costs into your prices really depends on how you're running your business, and not really my area of expertise either.

just a suggestion, but I certainly think started game credit/gift card deals like amazon kmart and wal mart would go over well here, plus assure future business to your site. I've never had an issue with you guys, and am satisfied with the service I have received. But if any thing could be fixed I hink itzls already been said. And from a consumer standpoint I'll never complain about even lower prices :p

I got Tekken 6 for the PSP from GoGamer a couple weeks ago. Was shipped promptly and was very pleased.
If there could be 99 cent shipping or free shipping when you purchase any game that would have been great!

Just echoing the shipping complaint. But not just in cost, the last time I ordered from you guys, it took nearly 3 weeks to get my order. (possibly longer) I kept meaning to email to find out what happened but I was in the midst of a family medical crisis so following up on my cheap video games seemed like a pretty low priority. ;) I finally almost forgot about it before it showed up. I was pretty shocked it was mailed from CA (since I'm in CA too) so I don't know whether the post office totally screwed up or if it didn't really ship when it said it did, but it left a bit of a bad taste.

So while I wouldn't mind free shipping, there should be some service level expectations as well. I.e., if it IS free shipping but going out media mail (or equivalent) make sure that's explicitly stated...

[quote name='Mike@Gogamer']Hey CAGs,

My name's Michael and I'm writing from my desk at Gogamer.com. [/QUOTE]
Mike,
I have few suggestions.

for all games:
-Even though if you can't offer free shipping to everyone, can gogamer waive the shipping cost for long time customers? or for customers with X number of game orders in a year?

-can you guys do more bundle sales?
(ex. mass effect 1&2 bundle sale, Assassin's creed 1 & 2, prince of persia bundle and so on)

for PC games:
-can gogamer offer discounts for ordering multiple pc games? (ex. $5 discount, for ordering 3 pc games over $15)

-can you guys price match to steam's weekend or year end sales?

(I mostly post for a pc hardware forum and this came up multiple times, a lot of pc gamers buy from steam because of their low prices during weekend or year-end sales but some of the pc gamers want to have a retail copy instead. and retail game prices don't even come close to the steam prices during weekend or year-end sales.)

for console games:
-when you pre-order certain games, can gogamer offer 'video game credit' for future video game purchases like amazon?

(I mostly play games on the PC and buy 90% of the multiple platform games on the pc because of higher graphics, higher fps, controls and etc. as long as it is not a very bad console port for the pc.
However I own a PS3 and get console exclusive titles only from amazon because of the 'video game credit' that they offer on pre-orders. and they got me hooked.)

And here is few games I would like to see during 48 Hour Madness for the PC for less than 10 bucks with hopefully free shipping :D:

-wolfenstein
-F.e.a.r 2
-Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
-Bioshock 2
-Wanted: Weapons of Fate
-bionic commando
-The Saboteur
-Dead space
-Resident Evil 5
-Assassin's Creed 2
-Mass Effect 2
-prototype