help... best route cross country (CA to MN) in winter

auralia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
i'm moving in mid december (military PCS, no uhaul or anything, just a mid size econonmy car w/ new tires 2 wheel drive) and we are driving home for christmas on the way.

we are trying to decide which route to take from central California to (monterey bay) to Minnesota.... basically do we want to take 80, 15 to 70, or 40 through arizona.....

if we take 40 it will add about 250 miles to the trip, but i am told that the weather is bound to be "better" along 40 as it's further south... is this true?

I know it's completely dependent on the weather at the time that we leave, but what would you do? anyone familiary w/ these areas, i've crossed the rockies once in a snow storm on 70 and I never want to do that again, 70 is the only one that I am familiar w/ as it is the only one i've taken...

thanks for any info you guys have :)

[quote name='auralia']i'm moving in mid december (military PCS, no uhaul or anything, just a mid size econonmy car w/ new tires 2 wheel drive) and we are driving home for christmas on the way.

we are trying to decide which route to take from central California to (monterey bay) to Minnesota.... basically do we want to take 80, 15 to 70, or 40 through arizona.....

if we take 40 it will add about 250 miles to the trip, but i am told that the weather is bound to be "better" along 40 as it's further south... is this true?

I know it's completely dependent on the weather at the time that we leave, but what would you do? anyone familiary w/ these areas, i've crossed the rockies once in a snow storm on 70 and I never want to do that again, 70 is the only one that I am familiar w/ as it is the only one i've taken...

thanks for any info you guys have :)[/quote]

Southern AZ can be nicer driving then northern AZ. They do get snow up north but down here near Phoenix, your lucky to get rain once a month.

I would take 80, unless you are going to northern MN, then I would think about taking a more northerly route.

You in the language program?

[quote name='auralia']yes to the language program... and yes to northern minnesota[/QUOTE]

Then I'd go 80 to 15 to 90/94 and head through the northland. Of course, like you said, weather might be too risky going this way, but the interstates are usually pretty good regardless.

Sucks to leave Monterey, I really like it down there....

bread's done
Back