Help buying a good Camera! =D

CorporalJackson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hey all, I'm looking to buy a digital camera. I would like to spend $250ish (Give or a take a little) I took a few photography classes in high school and iv outgrown my little Kodiak. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good deals on a 8.0+ Digital camera or any suggestions on a particular camera.
Thanks for any help
CPL.J

EDIT: I don't mind putting in a extra $300 or so if it would get me a long term higher quality camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check Canons on Amazon. Canon has two lines of consumer digital cameras depending if you like a smaller (SD-series) or bulkier (A-series) camera. I'm assuming you don't want a professional or semi-pro based on your price range (otherwise you'd have to get it used on craigslist or something).

I have the SD870 IS:

There's two colors of this camera. I'd check both occasionally, since Amazon prices sometimes fluctuate where one camera will be cheaper than the other by up to $20. I haven't been watching the price on this camera, but $250 no tax no shipping is a great deal. This is the other one:

If i was willing to dish out the extra cash would it be worth it to go for the Powershot G7? Or if I was going to may that much just go for a D SLR?[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Yeah I'd recommend a D SLR if you're going to spend the money. If you're serious enough to want the G-series, there's a high likelihood you'll eventually rather have the SLR.

Well that interested me about the G7 is that is is pretty rugged from what I have been told. And I backpack often and would be bringing whatever camera I get with me. With that said should I still go for a dSLR?

If you want to make the most of your photography classes, you might need to double your budget to get a DSLR. And then add more money for lenses and filters, etc.

But within the range you originally mentioned, I would second the SD870is. Camera turns on and snaps photos lightning fast so you'll never miss a shot. It has a wide-angle lens, so you'll be able to capture more of whatever and optical image stabilization that's enabled me to use lower ISO more often. Image quality is fantastic, and it has a decent set of manual controls and a fairly easy to use menu compared to my old Canon S50. Though it has no optical viewfinder and thus has the LCD on all the time, battery life is enough for me to snap ~500 or so shots (non-flash) while fiddling with settings and still review them and download them to my computer. The Canon camera line also has an enhanced firmware some hackers have put together that adds tons more functionality; google "CHDK."

Alright so for more of a budget camera SD870is would be best?
And if i was to invest into a dSLR what would be a good one to start with. I've heard good things about the Nikon D40x.

for a dslr. id go with whatever feels best in your hand really.
i highly reccomend the d40 dont fret over being 6mp. its pixel density is good.
i also fiddled with canons new xsi and thought it was a big improvement ergonomically over the xt/xti
but you pay for it.

[quote name='Gamerguy']My friend has a D40 and it takes pictures that look 200% better than my 10.1 MP Casio.[/quote]
that's because casio counts interpolated pixels

Go for one of the Canon Powershot's with a swivel out LCD. Best feature ever. Especially if you're going backpacking with a digital camera. It'll allow you to hold the camera at odd and unique angles without having to be a contortionist.

The Canon PowerShot A650 IS is the latest model at 12.1 megapixels and around $300
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=15658

The previous model is the Canon PowerShot A630 (2006?) that's 8 megapixels.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=14108

Love my older model A620 (plenty of pixels at 7.1 for poster enlargements) for the sheer simplicity of use and available settings that you can tweak. Colors always come out natural looking and detailed. That swivel comes in very handy for macro shots.

It's certainly not as small as the pocket cameras, but I'd take the flexibility and quality benefits that go along with the slightly heftier weight of using 4 x AA's for power.

yeah, for a point and shoot, i'd get the canon sd870is, my friend just bought it for a trip to chile. if i had the money, i'd get it too. i have a xti dslr and love it, takes great pics and is easy to use. it's all in what you want, i've taken amazing photos with my three year old sony cybershot w-7 as well, so a good point and shoot is a good option too, you can't always carry your dslr everywhere...

[quote name='dbzzx']Well I just got a Fujifilm Finepix S700 which is 7.1 MP and its great, has DLSR feel and options on it and only costed 154 dollars. [/quote]i'm not sure you're a good judge of "DLSR feel"

bread's done
Back