Help buying a sound bar

qcjoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys Im in need of help finding a sound bar.  I have a LG 55 inch that I got last year with a PS3 and a Directv hddvr.  I of course want all items to work with the sound bar.  Im not looking to break the bank either.

200 to 300 bucks.  I can always check on ebay for cheaper prices if i have to.  Im going to be mounting it on top of the tv.  Im also going to mount this on top of the tv.  Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
its optical so you should have no problem running the other stuff plugged in.  I have my cable box and blu ray player hooked up to it.  the weird thing is that it's hexagon shaped so it's not the run of the mill flat bar.  It gives instructions for taking off the speaker feet for mounting, but the picture is for mounting under the tv.  I don't think it would be too different if you were to mount it on top.  If you have a bestbuy near year, you should go check out the different sound bars.  I was able to try a couple of the ones in the 200-300 range and I liked this one the best. 

hope this helps!

its optical so you should have no problem running the other stuff plugged in. I have my cable box and blu ray player hooked up to it. the weird thing is that it's hexagon shaped so it's not the run of the mill flat bar. It gives instructions for taking off the speaker feet for mounting, but the picture is for mounting under the tv. I don't think it would be too different if you were to mount it on top. If you have a bestbuy near year, you should go check out the different sound bars. I was able to try a couple of the ones in the 200-300 range and I liked this one the best.

hope this helps!
My problem with the best buys in my area is the demos are never set up right or at all. It really pisses me off. Hell I went in last week to check some out and none worked. I had one of the first sony sound bars and I didnt like it because it didnt pick the mids up well. Does yours do a good job of that? Thanks for your time by the way.

im not much of an audiophile, but this one did sound the fullest out of the $300 price range.  it is more a budget-value system so there's no manual eq settings so you can't adjust each frequency (6 preset sound settings).  I mainly bought this to replace the tv speakers and it does that and much more.  i would definitely recommend trying it out yourself if possible.  If you can't just try and read more reviews to see the general opinions.  

Sorry for being late to the party.  I have the Sony sound bar system from last generation: Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System.  It's currently $219 on Amazon.  The best feature I like is that it has 3 HDMI inputs (and 1 HDMI output that goes to the TV).  I have my Xbox Elite, Xbox Slim, and OG PS3 all hooked up to it.  The sound bar itself is the traditional rectangular shape.  The subwoofer is nice and beefy (about the size of a midtower case).  The sound is more than enough in my game room.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the remote sensor is on the subwoofer.  Therefore, you'll need to have a direct line-of-sight to the subwoofer.

Thanks for the reply Midnight.  My wife is bitching at me saying we should just wait and get a surround system.  Im like are you going to lay that wire lol.

No prob qcjoe.  It really depends on what you're looking for and the expectations you set.  So long as you don't expect a soundbar to have the same surround sound effect as a 5.1 or 7.1 system, a soundbar is a decent option.  Since I don't have too much space in my game room, the small footprint of a soundbar was very enticing.  Once I hooked up my soundbar, it was definitely a huge improvement to the crappy TV speakers.

My issue with sound is hearing the voices on a lot of sound bars.  I would rather have a surround sound system, but running cables isnt my thing.

My issue with sound is hearing the voices on a lot of sound bars. I would rather have a surround sound system, but running cables isnt my thing.
Just took a look at the manual for my HT-CT150 regarding available sound fields: Standard, Movie ("Recreates powerful and realistic sound, along with clear dialog"), Drama, News ("Produces announcer's voice clearly"), Sports, Game, Music, 2CH Stereo, P. Audio. I mostly use Game and Movie (if I need to hear the dialogue) modes.

bread's done
Back