Help Buying PS3 Slim & Xbox 360 4GB

JYabbz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Need some advice on whether to buy a PS3 120GB Slim and Xbox 360 4GB or buying a PS3 Slim plus games and accessories.

So I am planning on upgrading from my old 40GB PS3 (now 500GB) to the new PS3 120GB Slim but I am debating whether to buy Games/Accessories for the new PS3 or buy the new Xbox 360 4GB. I have around $550 to play around with and if I do buy both systems I would buy them on Amazon - free prime shipping and no tax.

Option 1:
Buy PS3 Slim 120GB (@ costco) - $325
GoHastings B2G1 (Pickup RDR, GOW3, Batman:AA): $75
Dualshock 3 Controller (@ Amazon) - $45
Dualshock 3 Controller Bundle w/GOW: Collection (@ GS) - $65
Wii Motion Plus (2) (@ Amazon) - $30

Should be around $550

Option 2:
Buy PS3 Slim 120G (@ Amazon) - $300
Buy Xbox 360 4GB (@ Amazon) - $200
Dualshock 3 Controller (@ Amazon) - $45

Also should be around $550

I am not concerned with the size of 120GB as I plan on swapping it out with my 500GB hardrive I have on my current PS3. I am not a big online gamer so I probably won't buy Xbox Live. And if I do want to play online I would just use my PS3. For multi-platform games I would buy them for the PS3. The main interest in the xbox 360 is to play the exclusives. Now am wondering what are your thoughts on what I should I do or I should wait and bug my friend to sell me his extra 20GB Pro Xbox 360 (re-furbished) for cheap.

Any input/comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you upgraded your 40GB PS3 with a 500GB HD, I recommend getting the 360s, and then getting all the games and accessories for either system and keeping the PS3 you have already. Getting a slim model PS3 isn't really an "upgrade" for you since your setup now surpasses what you get in the box of a slim. Just seems like alot of cash to blow on cosmetics alone. I've grown to like the look of my PS3 fat, moreso than the look of the slim. Just my opnion.

Edit - watch out for the multi-platform games on the PS3 as well. Many are actually superior on the 360. Just check the reviews on a game to game basis, you're probably better off getting most on the 360, since not only are they usually better, but they seem to be on sale a hell of a lot more. Stores are always stingier with their PS3 inventory.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Since you upgraded your 40GB PS3 with a 500GB HD, I recommend getting the 360s, and then getting all the games and accessories for either system and keeping the PS3 you have already. Getting a slim model PS3 isn't really an "upgrade" for you since your setup now surpasses what you get in the box of a slim. Just seems like alot of cash to blow on cosmetics alone. I've grown to like the look of my PS3 fat, moreso than the look of the slim. Just my opnion.

Edit - watch out for the multi-platform games on the PS3 as well. Many are actually superior on the 360. Just check the reviews on a game to game basis, you're probably better off getting most on the 360, since not only are they usually better, but they seem to be on sale a hell of a lot more. Stores are always stingier with their PS3 inventory.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate your input, but I will be upgrading my PS3 to the slim regardless for my peace of mind. And will be getting most if not all multi-platform games on the PS3 just in case I want to play online. Any other inputs?

[quote name='JYabbz']Appreciate your input, but I will be upgrading my PS3 to the slim regardless for my peace of mind. And will be getting most if not all multi-platform games on the PS3 just in case I want to play online. Any other inputs?[/QUOTE]

Well since ur not going to get xbox live, u mine as well just do ur first option... and yeah usually the xbox plays multiplatform games better than on the ps3, its not a huge difference... the reason to get an xbox is kinda for xbox live so u can play the halos and gears and call of duties... if u dont want to get live, u mine as well go with the upgrade becuz the ps3 has a couple good single player games like uncharted, infamous, gow3, etc.

But listen u really shouldnt spend 325 on a ps3 slim if u already have a 500gb ps3 while it might be fatter, it works exactly the same... unless its having problems just stay with it... keep the money and spend it on some games and accessories and hey u can always keep saving up the money...

Dont know if you are aware of the Gamestop PS3 trade-in deal right now, but it expires 8/8.
The promotion gets you $200 store credit for any ps3 in working condition. I know you said you preferred to buy from amazon but only spending $100+tax to upgrade your ps3 console would give you some money to also buy the Xbox 360 S and a few games. Plus you could always just use the store credit to buy your games or accessories and buy your consoles on Amazon. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the PS3 trade-in tomorrow.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

Is your PS3 in working condition or did it crap out on you? Obviously that would affect this option.
And what do you plan on doing with 3 controllers at once since the system comes with a DS3?

PS3 Slim : $300 from amazon
Xbox 360 S: $200 from amazon
Still leaves your $200 GS credit and the other $50 you had budgeted.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back