HELP! Choosing a gaming headset

skezo718

CAG Newbie
Hey guys,

With purchasing both the Xbox One & Ps4 I'm in the market for a new gaming headset but I've never owned one before.

From what I've seen, it seems that Turtle Beach is the way to go. Am I right? Am I wrong? I'm looking for an "all around" headset for all types of games, not just shooters.

I've noticed that Xbox One is coming out with an adapter for universal headsets so does that mean that I can purchase just one headset for both systems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most gaming headsets can be used with all current consoles with the exception of the Xbox One. The Xbox One has that proprietary plug for chatting with friends and a headset adapter was suppose to come out 2/25, but it seems it has been pushed back to sometime in March (Amazon says 3/7).

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Stereo-Headset-Adapter/dp/B00IAVDOS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393516024&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+one+headset+adapter

The headset adapter is used to plug the 2.5mm jack from headsets chat cable that worked on the 360 so they can be used on the Xbox One.

All current Astros with the mixamp will have game volume, but no chat capabilities until the adapter is released.

This should apply to Turtle Beaches also since they will be coming out with their own headset adapters. They also have 3 unreleased headsets

- Ear Force XO Seven

- Ear Force XO Four

- Ear Force Atlas (TitanFall themed)

That should be ready to go outta of the box without the purchase of additional hardware/adapters. Those do not start shipping until March 7 either.

I'm not sure if old Turtle Beaches will work since those usually use the red and white audio cables to get game sound.

I have Astros myself and I am pretty happy with them, bit pricey though (retails for $250 with headset and mixamp)

I appreciate all of the info bro!

Yea, I'm reading up on the Astros now and it seems that it's split down the middle. Some people say that they're way overpriced for the materials and sound they deliver and others swear that they're a god send.

Decisions!!

No problem.

In all honesty, they are pretty overpriced compared to what is available now. Their selling point is mainly the mixamp which can produce 5.1/7.1 surround sound and the ability to control game and chat volume levels. Not many headsets could really do that before, but now turtle beach has a wide assortment of headsets that can do that now.

When I got my A40 headset, I wouldn't say they were the most comfortable. The top part of my head would hurt really bad after wearing them a while. After breaking them in, that pain subsided.

The only thing Astro has going them is that the 2013 mixamp model has a stream port where you can stream all game, chat, and your voice sound into your computer if you are streaming or want to record that stuff.

I've never owned Astro's so I can't speak much on them. With that said I've always loved TB. Right now I have the 510s (wanted wireless and complete compatibility). They were truly complete wireless until the new xb1 adapter. I do love them and they come with some fun features. They are quite an investment though. 

bread's done
Back