Help choosing parts for Comp

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Hi, I'm going to build a computer and need some help. I have most of the parts picked out that I want but still would like some feedback and help.

Xaser 5 (Case)
I was thinking of going with the Xaser 5 for the case because I heard there's a good amount of room and good airflow.

EVGA 8800gts 640mb (Does this need a reason or explanation?)

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
Conroe seems like a very good processor and has some amazing reviews. My friend has one and it's pretty damn awesome.

Asus p5k-VM

Eh, I don't really need wireless and this will save me some money. Will the onboard sound support 5.1?

Crucial Ballistix Ram
SOSTrooper recommended this and said it was great. It also has great reviews and a good price.

Seagate HD
I've only ever heard good things about Seagate and it has a decent price.

700w OCZ Gaming PSU
Thought it would be nice to have an abundance of power so I don't need to worry

That's it I believe

I'm going to order my monitor tomorrow, 10/18, when PP adds the funds. Here's the monitor if anyone's interested
Awwww yeah, 15.4inch laptop monitor to this? OHHH MAN

well, first thing's first, the Core 2 Duo E6850 won't work with that motherboard (the motherboard doesn't have a 1333 FSB). And if money is an issue, I would get a weaker processor and use the extra money to buy 2GB of RAM at least (just get a 2 x 1GB kit).

I know each of the latency timings has a different meaning but I'm pretty sure lower is better

Well money isn't that much of an issue. I def want the conroe. I just really would like to spend around $200 on the mobo and like $150 max on psu. This is going to be a gaming pc (never really had one, can you tell?) and I want fairly high end stuff. Also, higher or lower volts on ram better?

Get a motherboard with Intel P35 chipset, such as the Asus P5K series, Abit IP35 series, or the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 series. Don't skim on the memory, you'll WANT to have at least 2GB. Get a decent PSU like a Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, or Silverstone. With the quality of parts you have, I would not spend less than $80 for a quality PSU. Something like this or this will work for you.

How does everyone feel about this
and the open box

OR

the deluxe

Has anyone had any experience with NewEgg open box products? Are they reliable?

Edit:

Oh, and this monitor most likely

and prolly this HD

AND another edit

Crucial Ballistix
this memory

or

this Crucial Ballistix

I was thinkin of goin with the first one

[quote name='dragonsho']How does everyone feel about this
and the open box

OR

the deluxe

Has anyone had any experience with NewEgg open box products? Are they reliable?[/QUOTE]

The P5K Premium looks good. It has everything you possibly need on a motherboard, but a lot of those options you may not use, such as RAID or 2 PCIe X16 slots. If money is no problem then this is a great board to get, but you can easily get a cheaper P5K version (without RAID, 1394, and 2 PCIe X16) and get a separate PCI WIFI card instead. That'll save you about $50. Though I would stay away from open box. Don't get cheap on the motherboard package; get a new retail version.

[quote name='dragonsho']Edit:

Oh, and this monitor most likely[/QUOTE]

I have this LCD as part of my dual monitor setup. It has great color compared to Samsung LCDs, but the LCD menu offers little options to adjust your settings.

[quote name='dragonsho']AND another edit

Crucial Ballistix
this memory

or

this Crucial Ballistix

I was thinkin of goin with the first one[/QUOTE]

I have the first one for my memory. There's no need to spend twice as much for the same amount of memory just for the top tier quality. The basic Ballistix is enough for most gamers.

Thanks so much. I'm going to update the first post with the parts I'm thinking about now.

Edit:

Will the onboard sound on the mobo support 5.1?

Sorry for double post but does anyone know if the 8800 will fit in the asus p5k VM? I was looking at the pics and it looks like it might scrape against the analog audio output on the IO board.

If you want to save some money, you can look at Cooler Master's Centurion 5 cases. I have one and it's great. Lots of space, tooless design, built in 120mm fan...

I'm pretty set on what I'm getting now. Is there a way to copy a link to my newegg shopping cart? That would most likely be easiest to show what I'm getting.

OK, no open box. I updated the first post with my final decisions. It's going to run about 1300$ shipped. Should be able to get everything Nov. 1st if I can sell my wii.

I'll give an update on the monitor when I get it to let everyone know how it is.

Reminder:

Final Decision in FIRST POST

Thanks a bunch everyone, I would've messed this up without everyone's help.

not to crap the thread, but I'm looking to build a tasteful looking pc. I have built other for friends in the past but am not a huge fan of the flimsy designs. I currently think that the dell xps 410 cases are nice, anything of similar value, look would be considered.

bread's done
Back