Help! Coke Spill on GBA SP

pinatamonkey

CAGiversary!
A couple days ago I put an opened 20oz coke into my cooler (with the top closed...but apparently not tight enough) A couple hours later, I looked and there was coke all in the bottom of the cooler, and all over my sp. I tried cleaning it best I could, but without a tri-wing screw, I could only do so much.

Now, the gba still works, but the on/off switch is gummed up with coke and hard to move, plus I can see what looks like a little bit of liquid behind the lcd display.

Now I don't know what to do. Will the coke on the inside reduce the lifespan of the gba? (like rust, etc.) If I got a triwing screwdriver, could I clean out the inside? How much trade-in credit does an SP get?

Was the SP inside the cooler? If it was, what the hell were you thinking? You could probably send it to nintendo to fix it but they will charge you, otherwise i think you are screwed.

an sp gets 60 or 65 (i don't remember) at gamestop.

too bad about the sp and the coke tho. i really have no suggestions since it sounds really bad being in the lcd display.

how did the sp get in the cooler in the first place?

unfortunatly the problaem with the SP is all the special tools needed to get in side it, so at this point it really sounds like you;re out of luck. maybe you can have a nintendo repair ceneer fix it for you for a fee but thers no telling how much it'd be.

Coke and technology dont mix...

The cooler is just a soft insulated lunchbox, I don't keep ice or icepacks or anything like that inside, usually just stuff like crackers, I'm not an idiot. I was at work and I keep everything in there (cell phone, paycheck, mp3 player, gameboy, etc.) so I don't have to stuff my pockets (the pockets on women's pants are not very good for carrying things, except maybe a pack of gum).

The GBA isn't really in that bad of shape, considering. The only thing that bothers me is the on/off switch, which is harder to move. Everything else still works fine and the bit behind the LCD is nearly invisible - it is really -behind- the screen, and you can only see a tiny bit at the very bottom of the screen where the lcd ends.

since the on/off switch is hard to move, it really sounds like trouble. the sugar is making the parts stick n it will reduce the life span of your SP. my suggestion is to clean it up and trade it in for a preown sp (if they didnt do the same to theirs..) but if thats not an option, you can get the screw at your local (mom and pop) hardware store, or on eBay. remember to remove the battery. all you really need when u open it up, is a couple non linting qtips and some water, (water to qtip then to SP, not water to sp...) and turn it on after its dried. and dont disconnect anything. i had a site where it tells you how to dismantal your SP but i cant find it now. ill get bak to you, but you can google for the time being.

UDo u have a dishwasher?????

If so throw it in and with a cascade powergel pack and ur off the scrubbing bubbles will take care of everything and i do mean everything lol

***************DO NOT DO THIS************

[quote name='gizmogc']Most stores make sure things work...its not all that tough to flip the ON/OFF switch and see its gummy.[/quote]

Maybe for a SP or something, yeah. But usually, from my experiences, they're too lazy to chase down some batteries. I traded in two Gameboy Colors last week at EB and he didn't even touch the things before giving me my credit.

[quote name='red flare graf'][quote name='gizmogc']Most stores make sure things work...its not all that tough to flip the ON/OFF switch and see its gummy.[/quote]

Maybe for a SP or something, yeah. But usually, from my experiences, they're too lazy to chase down some batteries. I traded in two Gameboy Colors last week at EB and he didn't even touch the things before giving me my credit.[/quote]

Seconded, many times they do no even check..

I spilled some coolaid on a genesis controller back in the day, no matter now much I tried clean it out it's never been the same again.

I had to get a replacement.

bread's done
Back