help connecting surround speakers to 360

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
i have the optical cable but i don't know how to connect it. i tried connecting it to my tv but then i call the 360 assistance and they now said i need a converter

please help guys!

there's a little jack on the 360 component cables ( on the part that plugs into the 360) that the optical cables go into.

Edit- looks like you know that already. So what exactly is the problem? Plug it into the reciever and it should work.

avsoptical.jpg

The other end goes into the back of the receiver.

The receiver is home theater system.

You connect the cable you bought into the hole labeled 'optical' in the picture(your existing 360 cables should already have it) and the other end into the back of your receiver.

[quote name='shadylane']now wait what would the reciever be considered? the tv or my panasonic home theater system?[/quote]

is there an optical port on your TV? I would doubt it, so the home theater system would be where you need to put the cable.

think about it this way. Where does the sound for your DVD player go? Does it go to the TV or does it go to the Home Theater system. Your 360 should go to the same place as the DVD player (That is if you are using surround sound with your DVD player)

Hope this helps!
-xmrblondex

ok now say my home theater system doesn't have a slot for the optical cable? could it be that i'm not looking correctly and all home theater systems have it? or i need a coverter?

i just called panasonic and they said that it doesn't have for optical cable so i would have to insert the red and white cables into my reciever to get surround sound. does this make sense?

[quote name='shadylane']i just called panasonic and they said that it doesn't have for optical cable so i would have to insert the red and white cables into my reciever to get surround sound. does this make sense?[/QUOTE]
yes.
use the red n white component cables and run them to your receiver.
you just wont get sound unless your surround sound system is turned on.

[quote name='shadylane']i just called panasonic and they said that it doesn't have for optical cable so i would have to insert the red and white cables into my reciever to get surround sound. does this make sense?[/QUOTE]
Without an optical input on your receiver you won't get 5.1 sound from the 360. You will need to upgrade or just use 2.0 sound using RCA input.

[quote name='shadylane']ohhhhhhh thats it it's working now so why would people need an optical cable in the first place?[/QUOTE]

To get 5.1 sound.

With the red and white cables you will only get 2.0 sound.

Im assuming your speaker system is one of those ones that has a dvd player built in?

Can you post a link to your home theater system? It would help us help you. Could be that you have over looked something.

Also the optical on your TV is likely an OUTPUT. GL

I have a similar system. Since its an all in one system, panasonic didnt want to include any inputs that would allow 5.1( coaxial or optical). I only have two composite inputs in mine. So its basically a home theater system just for the built in dvd player. If you wanted to hook up anything else( hd-dvd, ps3, etc.) it cant have 5.1. I dont mind too much, cuz I got it for really cheap.

Your sound system does allow Pro Logic, so if that's enabled you should have surround sound all the same. It's not true 5.1 surround, but you'll have sound coming out of all your speakers with just the RCA cables plugged in. I have my 360 on Pro Logic and it sounds just fine.

I have an optical input on my reciever but for some reason it doesn't pick up the signal, forcing me to use Pro Logic. Either the optical cable is broken or the optical input or output on the receiver or 360 isn't working. I think I'm going to order another cable and see if that fixes the problem.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Your sound system does allow Pro Logic, so if that's enabled you should have surround sound all the same. It's not true 5.1 surround, but you'll have sound coming out of all your speakers with just the RCA cables plugged in. I have my 360 on Pro Logic and it sounds just fine.

I have an optical input on my reciever but for some reason it doesn't pick up the signal, forcing me to use Pro Logic. Either the optical cable is broken or the optical input or output on the receiver or 360 isn't working. I think I'm going to order another cable and see if that fixes the problem.[/QUOTE]
Some receivers don't automatically recognize the signal especially if you have two different inputs hooked up at once; it may require you to select the input.

[quote name='shadylane']is there a converter so i can get 5.1 or my only option is 2.0?[/QUOTE]

You just need to upgrade your receiver. Usually from what i have seen the home theater systems that have all the DVD and some of the older models didnt have one. I upgraded my reciver and Love it. You can but a good reciver for about 100 bucks or so. The optical on the Tv usually is an out. So with that said you should look for a reciver that might have 2 opticals so youdont have to mess with the changing the wire when you wanna hear the hd programs in 5.1.

Yeah, get a new receiver. You then can get 5.1 sound from your XBOX 360 and TV since it has optical out.

Basically, you hook the optical cable into the component cable with the 360, the plug the other end into your receiver. You should be able to use all your speakers that you have. Do they connect to the receiver with normal speaker connections or are they plugs? If plugs, you may have to do some splicing.

It's really easy to get 5.1 surround.....

i recenly got the 5.1 setup through my 360 with the optical cable. Man was it worth it. I also have a all-in-one jvc player. Unfortunately it does not have many inputs. 1 optical and 1 rca input i believe. Obviously i have my 360 using the optical but im trying to figure out how to have all my other systems connected to the rca. I wish i had another optical in so i could connect my pc to it.

[quote name='guyver2077']i recenly got the 5.1 setup through my 360 with the optical cable. Man was it worth it. I also have a all-in-one jvc player. Unfortunately it does not have many inputs. 1 optical and 1 rca input i believe. Obviously i have my 360 using the optical but im trying to figure out how to have all my other systems connected to the rca. I wish i had another optical in so i could connect my pc to it.[/QUOTE]

You can get an OPTICAL SPLITTER. Check Ebay or Monoprice. I never used one, but it should work fine. I believe you can only have ONE source running at a time.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Frizo, just a check - did you try fiddling with the sound options in the 360 dashboard?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

The odd thing is that I've been using 5.1 since I got the 360 and first hooked it up in April and it just recently went out on me. I've played with all the settings on the 360 and the receiver and I can't get it to come back.

So, either the opitcal cable is somehow fried or the input on the receiever is dead. I guess it could be the audio/video cable output from the 360 itself, but I personally find that unlikely as I would tend to think I'd be having other issues with the 360 as well and I haven't. I could be wrong though.

Oh well, it's not like it's the end of the world. It's not like Pro Logic sounds bad or anything. I'll just need to spend some more time (and maybe money) trying to figure this out.

bread's done
Back