Help! Corrupted HD

LFLFM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hi there!

I used HDClone to create an image of my PS3's HD and let the PS3 format it; but when I restore the image, PS3 doesnt recognize it and says it must format! I lost all my savegames!

Yes I should have backed up, etc.. etc..

Anyone know of some way to fetch the savegames from the HD's image or restored HD?

I noticed the first sector of the HD is very different after restore than a newly PS3 formatted HD, so I tried copying just the first sector over from a new format to the restored HD and the PS3 just says the disk is corrupted and will try to restore, but then informs me that it cant restore, so it will format....

Please help! :whistle2:(((

Thanks!

You're sol. PS3 uses different type of file system than your computer. Backup ultility on the PS3 is the only way to back up PS3 files.

No need to buy a new one, PS formats it just fine... I just want my savegames back :whistle2:(

The main problem is that stupid HDClone "SHOULD" create a 1:1 image of the drive, so the PS3 wouldnt even know the drive was touched.... but the stupid thing changed the hard drive's partition table, MBR and maybe other things.

What I need is to know which sectors are important for the PS3 to accept the HD, even if it needs to rebuild HD database or whatever stuff it does sometimes, when a HD is defective...
=/

Well I guess the thing is that the PS3 write data and partition the internal HDD differently than the PC no matter what software you may use. It's kinda like how .exe files won't work on a mac even though it contains the same exact codes in the program with the mac version of the program. What you could do is download gamesaves from the internet to get back what you lost (if not more) I guess. There will be no way to make the computer clone the HDD to make the PS3 recognize it as it is unless ofcourse someone crack the encryption on PS3 OS and know how it works

[quote name='Access_Denied']Just mount the image on a PC and copy your save game files over to the new hard drive.[/QUOTE]
What make you think that'll work? Unless you know how the PS3 OS work and can make an OS that replicate it so your PC can emulate the files.

luan87us is right, I cant simply copy the savegame files from PS3 disk image, since its not the same file system as windows.
My only hope is if I can get the partition "less broken" enough for the PS3 to at least let me boot it up. In the lack of this possibility, I am already looking for some savegames:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239007

Its very easy to find completed game saves on the web, but whats the point in that? So i'm reaching out to the community in the hopes that someone's playing through these games might have a save that will fit me.

Good luck man. I know how it feels to loose all your save data lol. Happen to me all the time on PS2 when I accidentally format my MC lol.

First of all, where did you put the image? On what type of media? Surely you didn't image it to itself, so the image has to be on another type of drive. Have you tried extracting anything from the clone and just let the PS3 format itself?

[quote name='Sakkuriru']First of all, where did you put the image? On what type of media? Surely you didn't image it to itself, so the image has to be on another type of drive. Have you tried extracting anything from the clone and just let the PS3 format itself?[/QUOTE]

He isn't having problem with the PS3 formatting the drive. The problem is the PS3 won't recognize the back up image he cloned. And this image is very different from what you guys are thinking. The file system is totally different.

[quote name='luan87us']He isn't having problem with the PS3 formatting the drive. The problem is the PS3 won't recognize the back up image he cloned. And this image is very different from what you guys are thinking. The file system is totally different.[/QUOTE]

That's my point, though. If he can browse the image at all, can he not extract his files? Unless you're talking some proprietary image. Then he couldn't even open it. I think I see what you mean.

Ah well.

[quote name='Sakkuriru']First of all, where did you put the image? On what type of media? Surely you didn't image it to itself, so the image has to be on another type of drive. Have you tried extracting anything from the clone and just let the PS3 format itself?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Sakkuriru']That's my point, though. If he can browse the image at all, can he not extract his files? Unless you're talking some proprietary image. Then he couldn't even open it. I think I see what you mean.

Ah well.[/QUOTE]

Its impossible to create the image on the drive itself for 2 reasons:
1. its impossible (hehe, yes, no disk image program will ever let you do that)
2. I used windows to create the image, the PS3's hard drive is formated with a partition system thats actually *illegal* in computer terms (not law illegal), so no normal operating system will recognize it, nor ever write or read any files from it.

**What makes it illegal? Its partition table contains "0" (zero) in the Starting Sector property of the partition table; which by concept, cannot be done; I'm guessing the PS3 ignores this property when reading the drive's contents.

By the second reason why its impossible to create the image on the drive itself, you can also understand that you cant use windows to extract files from it. The only way to extract files is if someone actually understood how the PS3 file system works and created some sort of browser program for it; which I've looked around google and found nothing; so I'm guessing people haven't cracked it yet.

Again, it IS a proprietary PARTITION type; the image is just a copy of it on my hard drive; problem is... the program I used to create the image is stupid and tried to "fix" the partition before creating the image (without asking me, by the way)...
Someone please tell me what happens when you try to fix something that's not broken, you just don't understand it? That's right, you break it! Stupid, crappy HDClone. :cry:

Yeah Sony went extreme with the PS3's OS to prevent it from being hack. I guess one of their counter measurement is using the 0 starting sector to make normal PC unable to exploit the contents lol. I would think that no matter what program you used to clone the HDD it would not work unless previously stated someone cracked the PS3 OS and made some kind of browser for it or something. Sony really stepped up from the PSP XMB hehe. Kudo to Sony!

Normal cloning programs will work; as long as they CLONE the disk; this one tried to "fix" it first. All of the HD's information can be written in low-level; including the "0" stating sector; problem is that the PS3 probably uses some other validating data in sector zero which I cant find... And even if I find it, I probably wont be able to calculate the correct value to put in :whistle2:/

I used HDClone cos its free and I also read somewhere that someone used HDClone for their PS3 HD and it worked. I'm guessing they might have used an older version of HDClone that didnt yet have the "feature" of "fixing" the HD's primary sector (sector zero) while cloning.

bread's done
Back