HELP Ebay bidder wants $$ back!!!

cag1000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Hey what's up guys, I just need to poll Cags on what to do in this situation...I sold a Camera on Ebay and I thought I looked it over and it appeared clean everywhere. I did not test the camera and stated that it was being sold untested. The buyer contacted me before purchase and asked if it was clean and I said yes. I get an email and he says that the battery has corroded the compartment and it can't even be opened. I stated no returns in the auction and will probably get a negative feedback either way. They want their $$ back of course, but first how can I be sure that it wasn't swapped out with another camera, and second should I expect them to clean it. A quick Google search says that Baking soda and water do the trick. What are my options here? What would you do?

They will open a complaint with ebay and you will automatically lose. Pretty sure in their fine print somewhere it states you cant sell something 'as is untested', just like the got rid of posting 'like new' for video games.

I would say just tell them to ship the item back and refund the money once the camera arrives back.

Ooo really automatically loose a complaint? That sux dam it's looking like I'm gonna have to eat this dam auction.

First check his feedback and see if has a history of doing the same thing.

If has no history, I would refund his money after getting back the camera. I would also put him on my block list.

If he gives you a negative, just reply in calm honest manner stating the facts.

[quote name='Steggy']They will open a complaint with ebay and you will automatically lose. Pretty sure in their fine print somewhere it states you cant sell something 'as is untested', just like the got rid of posting 'like new' for video games.

I would say just tell them to ship the item back and refund the money once the camera arrives back.[/QUOTE]

I also believe that is the current situation. No as is, or untested. You would have to test it, say its broken and only for parts or something.

The right thing to do is also the hardest thing to do and that's to give a refund, intentionally or not that person got ripped off by you !!!

They are now returning the camera good call on not paying return shipping but that didn't even come into play so I guess I got lucky there. When I get this bitch cleaned out and relist I guess I should state that it's for parts since it's vintage and who the fuck knows where to find whatever kind of batteries it takes. Thanks for all the responses, after 13 years of Ebay selling this is the first refund I have ever had to make.

[quote name='dafoomie']Offer a refund but don't pay the return shipping.[/QUOTE]
bull crap.

if you were sent a defective item i would think you would want all your money back. why should the buyer pay for all the hassle for the sellers faults?

Some cameras have serial numbers, so in the future document that info to make sure someone doesn't swap cameras on you.

Also, the eBay buyer protection policy trumps "no returns" claims as long as it's a legitimate complaint. If their claim is true, then they have the right to return it.

If they file a complaint they will get their money back because paypal will just refund it, even if you dont want to let them, you will get a negative feedback.

About 6 months ago I sold a stethoscope on there that had the ability to amplify itself with a push of a button. I said in the auction it did not work and I said in my auction no refunds. Guy wins it, gets it, says the amplification doesnt work and wants a refund. I say no because I said in the auction the amplification didnt work and that I said no refunds. So he files a complaint and paypal refunds him his money out of my account and closes the case. He also left me a negative feedback because sellers do not have the ability to leave negatives for buyers. At the time I had over 1300 positive feedbacks, 2 negatives, the guy who bought it had 3 feedback total and they still didnt care I had sold over a hundred things this year alone and all were positives.

I sold a broken laptop on ebay also last month and it said in the title broken in caps. Person wins it, emails me to say they dont want it and they never pay me. So I file a complaint with ebay and 4 days later they refund my like .35 cents for listing it and do nothing to the seller, they are still running around with no negative because I cant give them one for not paying.

Ebay/paypal do not care about sellers because if someone complains they will automatically take the buyers side and punish you regardless. Ebay is ok to buy on but it sucks to sell on because you can get complaints filed against you for anything and have nothing you can do about it except suck it.

^ PayPal should have sided with you. That's wrong that they forced a refund when your product description was accurate.

bread's done
Back