Help fund Double Fines next game!

Double Fine is asking people for donations via Kickstarter to make a classic point and click adventure game. For those who are familiar with point and click adventure games they will be happy to hear Ron Gilbert, who wrote and directed Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island, and more recently Death Spank will be helping. The game is going to be exclusivly on steam but if they get enough money they will port it to other platforms. They are also making a documentary about the whole process. The minimum donation is $1.00 but the more you donate the more prizes you get. This just went up around 6:00 PM on 2/8/2012 PST and as of 8:11 PM 2/8/2012, they are well over $100,000. Here is the link that explains everything in great detail. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure
If you love Double Fine this one is a no brainer. Also if you donate a minimum of $15 you get a copy of the game when it is released!

Update: 3/12/2012 I have been crazy busy with school and been a negleftful to this post and I apologize. There are 24 hours left for those who are debating on backing this project or those who want to throw a couple more dollars in! I want to thank all of you for keeping this thread on the front page of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

less than an hour ago, there were about 800 backers and about $48,000 pledged.

This is crazy, its already at $135,000.

[quote name='mitnosi']Hope its not Brutal Legend 2![/QUOTE]

I'd plop down my $15 in a heartbeat if it was.

I'd drop the $30 without thinking if they said it was a follow-up to Psychonauts.

Donated. If you haven't checked the link yet, you should know you get the full game when released for a minimum pledge of $15.

Funny video, kinda interested buuuuuttt....

-I don't like how a hundred-friggin thousand dollars, i.e. a quarter of their goal is going towards financing the doc. A documentary is nice, but that seems like alot money that could be better spent on the game. Here's an idea: buy a P2 camera, a boom mic, and get an EMF major to do it for 10k to spare yourself the costs of hiring a high-profile production company like... the guys making a documentary about Notch?

-Tim mentions more than once about how it could go well or it could be a huge failure.... not a good confidence builder for a potential investor.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']point and click is weaksauce. It should have been a succesor to Brutal Legend or a cool action platformer[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they would need a lot more than 400k for that.

[quote name='mkaliaz']Donated. If you haven't checked the link yet, you should know you get the full game when released for a minimum pledge of $15.[/QUOTE]

Updated post to reflect this. Thanks for pointing it out!

Got a kick out of the higher tier awards:

Pledge $15,000 or more:
Dinner with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $20,000 or more:
Dinner and BOWLING with Tim Schafer and key members of the dev team.

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $50,000 or more:
Become an actual character in the game.

Pledge $150,000 or more:
Tim Schafer (that’s me) will give last four remaining Triangle Boxed Day of the Tentacles, in original shrink-wrap.” (Limit of 1) (Holy crap, what am I thinking? I only have four of those!)

Given how people (or, one person, rather) have offered large sums of money to fund their ports to PC and how Notch was offering to fund Psychonauts 2, I feel that Double Fine's debut on kickstarter was inevitable.

I am making a pledge just so maybe we can see this happen more often with higher-profile developers. I am pretty sure a lot of interesting game ideas (particularly the more creative and original ones) by people within a development studio do not come to fruition simply because the publisher thinks it wont recoup the development cost. With this model, they can prove it will be a worthwhile endeavor.

[quote name='RavenousBear']Given how people (or, one person, rather) have offered large sums of money to fund their ports to PC and how Notch was offering to fund Psychonauts 2, I feel that Double Fine's debut on kickstarter was inevitable.

I am making a pledge just so maybe we can see this happen more often with higher-profile developers. I am pretty sure a lot of interesting game ideas (particularly the more creative and original ones) by people within a development studio do not come to fruition simply because the publisher thinks it wont recoup the development cost. With this model, they can prove it will be a worthwhile endeavor.[/QUOTE]

I agree. This is put up or shut up. People want creative and awesome games, then it is time to pony up and let the team at DF do it. If not for this game then, for the great ideas that come after it.

Does anyone know if the "special thanks" in the credits would actually be your name or do you think it will just be a general mention like "everyone who donated".

[quote name='Spokker']Why not just make it, and then sell it, you know, like everything else?[/QUOTE]

Is that a serious question? This is them raising money to make it. They're not going through a publisher. Few games are self-funded.

[quote name='slowdive21']Does anyone know if the "special thanks" in the credits would actually be your name or do you think it will just be a general mention like "everyone who donated".[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure it is your individual name, although email to make sure. It seems extremely weak if it was just a general mention considering that can mean everyone, including the people donating a $1.

[quote name='louiedog']Is that a serious question? This is them raising money to make it. They're not going through a publisher. Few games are self-funded.[/QUOTE]

In what world do you think it's a good idea? We already have people who buy games before they are released. Are we going to start a trend in which we buy games before they are even in development?

[quote name='Spokker']In what world do you think it's a good idea? We already have people who buy games before they are released. Are we going to start a trend in which we buy games before they are even in development?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not going to get trolled tonight.

Wait... why do you have to pay for them to make the game... aren't they supposed to make the money after the game comes out? I am so confused... why don't they get a loan... idk... double fine is weird...(and that's why I like them...)

[quote name='Brutal Fates']Wait... why do you have to pay for them to make the game... aren't they supposed to make the money after the game comes out? I am so confused... why don't they get a loan... idk... double fine is weird...(and that's why I like them...)[/QUOTE]

You don't get loans to make games. You get investors. That's basically what they are doing. Publishers, the typical source for money, don't finance point-and-click adventure games. This isn't a pre-order or something like that. This is people telling Double Fine that they want this type of game that isn't being made much anymore. It may go poorly. The project may be a failure. By buying you're taking a risk.

They will sell the game when it comes out. This is money to get to that point.

[quote name='Brutal Fates']Wait... why do you have to pay for them to make the game... aren't they supposed to make the money after the game comes out? I am so confused... why don't they get a loan... idk... double fine is weird...(and that's why I like them...)[/QUOTE]

If a publisher puts up $400 thousand to fund the game, they are taking a risk in order to reap a potential return on their investment. This is why point and click adventure games don't get made, because you won't buy them.

This new venture means that any amount donated over $15 (since $15 gets you the finished product, which may or may not be good) is a pure loss.

Why don't they get a loan? Because that involves a risk, a risk Double Fine, the company that creates such glorious games that nobody buys (and I say that as a huge Psychonauts fan), doesn't want to take. A project like this is supposedly in high demand, yet they don't want to risk their own money on a point and click adventure game any more than the average publisher does. They can pass on all risk to naive users and they will reap any profits.

I agree with you. Take out a loan to self-finance the game. If they truly believe in the project, then they will be willing to bet that people will go plunk down $15 for the game on Steam if point and click adventure games are in such high demand.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a modern point and click adventure game, but this is the wrong way to go about doing it.

[quote name='Spokker']In what world do you think it's a good idea? We already have people who buy games before they are released. Are we going to start a trend in which we buy games before they are even in development?[/QUOTE]

Sure we are...oh wait no. Big publishers will continue to churn out shit games for mass consumption. This, however, is a chance to get some quality and original games out there. Double Fine makes great games and I have no doubt that this will be a quality and interesting title. I personally am not a big fan of point and click, so I'm not donating, but if it comes to them doing this for Brutal Legend 2, or Psychonauts 2, then I am in with no questions asked.

[quote name='louiedog']You don't get loans to make games. You get investors. That's basically what they are doing. Publishers, the typical source for money, don't finance point-and-click adventure games. This isn't a pre-order or something like that. This is people telling Double Fine that they want this type of game that isn't being made much anymore. It may go poorly. The project may be a failure. By buying you're taking a risk.

They will sell the game when it comes out. This is money to get to that point.[/QUOTE]

I meant loan as in a publisher footing the bill..
[quote name='Spokker']If a publisher puts up $400 thousand to fund the game, they are taking a risk in order to reap a potential return on their investment. This is why point and click adventure games don't get made, because you won't buy them.

This new venture means that any amount donated over $15 (since $15 gets you the finished product, which may or may not be good) is a pure loss.

Why don't they get a loan? Because that involves a risk, a risk Double Fine, the company that creates such glorious games that nobody buys (and I say that as a huge Psychonauts fan), doesn't want to take. A project like this is supposedly in high demand, yet they don't want to risk their own money on a point and click adventure game any more than the average publisher does. They can pass on all risk to naive users and they will reap any profits.

I agree with you. Take out a loan to self-finance the game. If they truly believe in the project, then they will be willing to bet that people will go plunk down $15 for the game on Steam if point and click adventure games are in such high demand.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see a modern point and click adventure game, but this is the wrong way to go about doing it.[/QUOTE]
I didn't realize you get the final game with a $15 donation, so its like a pre-order.

Anyways their are much better things that you can donate your money towards, that can help people/animals that actually need help... idk... w.e hope they make a good game...

I love these two rewards from Double Fine's website:

Pledge $30,000 or more:
Picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

Pledge $35,000 or more:
Undoctored picture of Ron Gilbert smiling.

[quote name='sylveranking']Sure we are...oh wait no. Big publishers will continue to churn out shit games for mass consumption. This, however, is a chance to get some quality and original games out there. Double Fine makes great games and I have no doubt that this will be a quality and interesting title.[/QUOTE]

Not even Double Fine has enough faith in point and click adventure games to fund the game themselves either by taking out a loan or digging into reserves. No publisher wants the risk, and neither does Double Fine.

It's unfortunate to see a company I like engage in such shenanigans. Schemes such as Kickstarter are only going to further stigmatize these types of games. They will be seen as even less commercially viable because they require being propped up by donations. Child's Play is a charity. Double Fine, or any other developer for that matter, is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that I was supporting their ability to make future games by buying the games they already had put out. Silly me. I know everyone loves DF, but this isn't some little indie studio trying to make their first game, it's a very well established group playing with someone else's money...your money. Maybe I'm cynical, but good luck to them.

[quote name='Spokker']Not even Double Fine has enough faith in point and click adventure games to fund the game themselves either by taking out a loan or digging into reserves. No publisher wants the risk, and neither does Double Fine..[/QUOTE]

How do you know they are not doing that? 400k barely pays for the salary of a handful of developers (and judging by the photo on the site, they have more than a handful.)

They obviously need other sources of funding to get make the game.

The way I see it, this is to gauge the public interest of the genre, and to stir up some publicity (aka publicity stunt).

Not. A. Deal.

Yes I am going to be that guy. I like Double Fine well enough but Psychonauts and BL just were not great games. Plus, hero worship of this magnitude is absurd and I sure as hell don't want the deals front page to be open to whatever non-deal indie cult of personality fad is going on.

If Doublefine wants my money, they need to do what every other developer does: Present me a game that looks worth my money. Panhandling to hipsters on the internet just is such an annoying smug self-satisfaction feedback loop that I can't take it.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']point and click is weaksauce.[/QUOTE]

That's heresy! :D

I know everyone loves DF, but this isn't some little indie studio trying to make their first game, it's a very well established group playing with someone else's money...your money. Maybe I'm cynical, but good luck to them.
Personally though I think that's a plus... I'd trust an established company like DF more than some random dude and his indie project. I paid Wolfire $30 three and a half years ago so they could make Overgrowth, and there's still no real indicator when it will be done. DF however, has a tentative date, and to be honest alot more to lose if they botch this.

Also, I agree this should be moved, it's not really a deal.

[quote name='Araex']How do you know they are not doing that?[/QUOTE]If they were doing that, wouldn't potential "investors" be able to make a more informed decision if they knew what Double Fine was putting up?

When I invest, I want to see financial statements, balance sheets and other information to gauge whether or not I think it's a wise decision. In this case the return on investment is capped at 0.00%, but knowing more information will help people decide whether or not they think this is going to be a success or not.

How about a budget or a timeline or something? At the very least, a business plan more substantial than "pay this much and meet tim schafer and he'll fart in your face" would be appropriate.

That this information is lacking is even further evidence of what this company actually thinks of you.

Why do people think this is an investment? Its a freaking donation thats the whole point of kickstarter. This game would not even be made otherwise since Double Fine doesn't have the money or backing from any Pub to do this. Really some people are just :roll:.

Also probably donating $15, course they probably wont need it by the time I donate :lol:.

Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure.

Temper your expectations.

And remember that these guys also gave us Trenches, Stacking, and Costume Quest. I did not find any of those worth the effort but YMMV.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']Why do people think this is an investment? Its a freaking donation thats the whole point of kickstarter.[/QUOTE]

Because Kickstarter doesn't allow charity.

No, it's not an investment and it is more like charity, but they pretend that it's some kind of venture capital situation.

Finally they can get out from under the yoke of publishers who would force them to do console releases first and wait a year for PC releases.

[quote name='Spokker']Because Kickstarter doesn't allow charity.

No, it's not an investment and it is more like charity, but they pretend that it's some kind of venture capital situation.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe anyone else besides you see it as a 'venture capital situation,' -- there is very clearly no return of investment (I surely hope everyone can see that). It's a publicity stunt, and it's working since we are having a discussion on this.

[quote name='Spokker']Because Kickstarter doesn't allow charity.

No, it's not an investment and it is more like charity, but they pretend that it's some kind of venture capital situation.[/QUOTE]

And ur point is? Double Fine wants to make the game but they can't do so otherwise since they don't have the money or Publisher backing and if u think its so easy to make a game through a loan then :lol:. Like right now the only reason Psychonauts 2 is even a possibility is because Notch has personally offered to invest and make the game happen.

They're doing this because they want to make the game without the aid of a Publisher since no Pub thinks Adventure games do well and if no one wants to invest then they can't make the game. Not to mention they'll have complete control and now thanks to this input from fans who want to see it happen.

bread's done
Back