Help: Halo ODST Pre-order Bonus

KILLER TREKKY

CAGiversary!
Hello everyone,

I'm coming to you all for help with a problem I've encountered. I pre-ordered Halo ODST on Sepetember 13. I went in today to pick it up, and I was dismayed to find out, I'm not eligible to receive the Sgt. Johnston token because I pre-ordered it after the 9th. I was never told of this, and it is not advertised on the website. As far as I was told at time of pre-order I'd be getting it. Is this a widespread thing? Or is it a greedy manager trying to get some extra codes for eBay? I'm very dissapointed and am hoping someone on CAG would know more about it. :cry:

Damn! Thanks, I gotta go back and talk to that manager, I've known him for a long time, since the store opened, and he recognizes me whenever I come in, and even knows what systems I have by heart. I never thought he'd do this to me.

Hey KILLER TREKKY, my EB actually gave me two codes, one when I preordered and another when I picked the game up. So in other words, PM me and Ill give you the extra code when I get home from work.

I've sent mail to Bungie, posted on the Bungie community, and am going to contact EB's head office to get to the bottom of this.

[quote name='snuter']Hey KILLER TREKKY, my EB actually gave me two codes, one when I preordered and another when I picked the game up. So in other words, PM me and Ill give you the extra code when I get home from work.[/QUOTE]

That would be amazing! :D If you want any proof I can mail it too you aswell, just so you know you're not getting lied to by someone who didn't pre-order. Thank you so much! You're amazing!

The thing about the code is that its a first come first serve basis even if you preordered the game. So if you arrived at the store late, they might have ran out of cards.

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']Damn! Thanks, I gotta go back and talk to that manager, I've known him for a long time, since the store opened, and he recognizes me whenever I come in, and even knows what systems I have by heart. I never thought he'd do this to me.[/QUOTE]

Sigh, again the very vocal minority will shit on a retail store and then I'll have to deal with the bullshit that comes with people complaining about not getting preorder bonuses (it's like people constantly complaining viruses on PCs, vocal minority). But bad training and foresight from the employees is at fault as well.

1) If you preordered AFTER the game has shipped (which is different for every store) then you are NOT guaranteed a pre-order bonus. The head office sends the exact amount of preorder bonuses along with the number of preorders there are (plus a few extras just in case).

Ex: 90 Halo ODST preorders by X shipment day, then 95-ish Sgt Johnson codes. Any preordered after X shipment day you are not guaranteed in case you go in early enough day-1.

Sometimes they'll send in some more (like NFS: Shift we got a few more codes after shipement day) but in those cases the promo codes printed out exceeded the amount of copies actually preordered (like NFS:Shift) so they send extras. Uncommon, but it happens.

Ex: Wolverine, I think my store still gets some sometimes, we dump them with the used games, it's the only way we'll get rid of them.

2) It's a first come first served basis for any extra codes, the early bird catches the worm no? It's only fair after all.

Ex: IL-2 Birds of Prey, we got a few t-shirts, no preorders, but the first three people that bought it got t-shirts, they were happy, done. No more.

3) The manager's there to KEEP your business, if he knows you as well as you think he does he would have kept a code for you had he the choice, that way you're happy and you keep going back there. So maybe he had his hands tied behind his back? Way to jump to conclusions.

4) When you were told you were getting one you were misinformed, deal with it. It happens, it might have been just a part-timer who didn't know, or whatever, but again, it happens. Get over it.

5) The manager MIGHT have taken one, or it might have been one of the part timers, again, refer to numbers 4 and 5.

EDIT: 6) Some stores give out codes when you make the preorder, and when they come pick up the bonus code/whatever they say "didn't get one" to sell/trade the next one, this gets abused a lot, I've been giving codes out WHEN THE GAME IT RELEASED, just so there's actually enough codes for everyone. This is another way some stores may run out of codes and maybe they gave you a crappy excuse on "we fucked up".

It really puts it in a rational light once you calm down and stop calling for a waahmbulance doesn't it?

Lesson in all this? Preorders your shit early. Don't go waiting for the last day.

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']I've sent mail to Bungie, posted on the Bungie community, and am going to contact EB's head office to get to the bottom of this.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can't believe people get this antsy about playing as a supporting character in a survival mode. C'mon guys the novelty will wear off the second you join in a server and half the people are using the Sgt. Johnson skin.

That really nice of you Snuter!

I just picked up mine tonight and they have ran out of codes but luckily I had been given mine by the manager a few weeks ago. They did not have enough to cover all the pre-orders and already phoned head office to see if they can get more.

when yer paying 80$ for a game the least you can get is something free with it. Or you might've well have waited a month or two and got it for 60$

[quote name='Princess Zelda']That really nice of you Snuter!

I just picked up mine tonight and they have ran out of codes but luckily I had been given mine by the manager a few weeks ago. They did not have enough to cover all the pre-orders and already phoned head office to see if they can get more.[/QUOTE]

Ah added point #6 to the list, thanks for indirectly reminding me :3.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']I just picked up mine tonight and they have ran out of codes but luckily I had been given mine by the manager a few weeks ago. They did not have enough to cover all the pre-orders and already phoned head office to see if they can get more.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. I got my code when I pre-ordered, but there were none left when I picked up the game. The clerk (EB Games) said they expected more codes in on Friday ... I guess they sold way more pre-orders than they expected.

Considering EB states that if you pre-order the game you will get the bonus it shouldnt matter how late you pre-order the game. If they want to have a cut off date they need to tell the customers about it. So Kathos you are telling me it is fine that EB has a sign up say two days ago saying "pre-order Halo 3: ODST and recieve free shit" but really they arent planning on giving it to you.

EB games really badly need to get their acts together when it comes to pre orders. They keep alienating thier custumers with their pre-order shenanigans. There should be no excuse for this and as the customer killer trekky should raise hell about it. Its not like he is a RFD'er crying because they wont price match their photoshoped ad they brought in.

P.S. Best Buy is giving away the codes with every game they sell so check out there to see if you can get one. Maybe if you are nice they will give you one. Or you can buy the game, keep the code and return the game.

[quote name='killmak']Considering EB states that if you pre-order the game you will get the bonus it shouldnt matter how late you pre-order the game. If they want to have a cut off date they need to tell the customers about it. So Kathos you are telling me it is fine that EB has a sign up say two days ago saying "pre-order Halo 3: ODST and recieve free shit" but really they arent planning on giving it to you.[/QUOTE]

All I'm saying is, shit happens. Sometimes it's out of our own control, out of even a retailer's control. If this was a "receive 1400 Microsoft points with every ODST purchase" or "free game with purchase of ODST" or I would have been all behind KILLER, but sadly, it's a piddly code for a skin (a shitty, unrealistic skin at that, who the fuck wears a cap in a massive firefight?). Nothing to fret about. Seriously, I know enough people who make mountains out of molehills to say this: don't sweat the small stuff, or you'll see yourself complaining about every single godamned thing that doesn't go your way.

I guarantee you Best Buy won't have codes for every single copy of ODST either, of course it's at-purchase deal (as opposed to EB's preorder deal), you could just as easily go in there and complain.

Hell, I know I'm going to Best Buy for their Brutal Legend LP deal, I've been calling like once a week.

I know this site is a CHEAP Ass Gamer, but if we kill ourselves over stupid shit we'll end up just like RFD.

[quote name='kathos']I know enough people who make mountains out of molehills to say this: don't sweat the small stuff, or you'll see yourself complaining about every single godamned thing that doesn't go your way.

but if we kill ourselves over stupid shit we'll end up just like RFD.[/QUOTE]

if he thinks it is more than a molehill, so be it.

who are you to say it isn't?

Well, it looks like someone else was nice enough to send him an extra code. I know I'd be kinda mad if I didn't receive something that I was supposed to get, even if it could be something as trivial as a download skin. I know that he started this post asking for help and I'm glad someone was nice enough to help him.

So anyway, I've still got an extra code if someone needs it because they didn't get it for whatever reason.

On a side note, I'd suggest finding a not-so-busy EB to preorder at. The one I use has pretty good employees and the location isn't too busy for preorders so they have alot of extra preorder stuff just lying around. I'm pretty sure my location had over 2 booklets of extra Stg. Johnson codes. (Perhaps another benifit to living out West: only 5% GST and preorder bonuses for all!) ;) Last week when I picked up this ODST preorder bonus along with my Uncharted 2 preorder demo, they gave me some of their extra preorder leftovers: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Juggernaut code, Brutal Legend early demo, Final Fantasy Dissidia slip covers, NHL 2k10? package of 24 wii remote team skins, SFIV headband and some other stuff.

[quote name='snuter']Well, it looks like someone else was nice enough to send him an extra code. I know I'd be kinda mad if I didn't receive something that I was supposed to get, even if it could be something as trivial as a download skin. I know that he started this post asking for help and I'm glad someone was nice enough to help him.

So anyway, I've still got an extra code if someone needs it because they didn't get it for whatever reason.

On a side note, I'd suggest finding a not-so-busy EB to preorder at. The one I use has pretty good employees and the location isn't too busy for preorders so they have alot of extra preorder stuff just lying around. I'm pretty sure my location had over 2 booklets of extra Stg. Johnson codes. (Perhaps another benifit to living out West: only 5% GST and preorder bonuses for all!) ;) Last week when I picked up this ODST preorder bonus along with my Uncharted 2 preorder demo, they gave me some of their extra preorder leftovers: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Juggernaut code, Brutal Legend early demo, Final Fantasy Dissidia slip covers, NHL 2k10? package of 24 wii remote team skins, SFIV headband and some other stuff.[/QUOTE]

If you still have it, I'd appreciate the code. I preordered it at TRU and picked it up today. Got the figurine and a $20 GC, but no code for Sgt. Johnson anywhere. Pretty lame.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']If you still have it, I'd appreciate the code. I preordered it at TRU and picked it up today. Got the figurine and a $20 GC, but no code for Sgt. Johnson anywhere. Pretty lame.[/QUOTE]
I thought that was for US TRU, I had no idea we were doing that too
EDIT: nvm, your American :S

Also wouldn't mind an extra code if anyone has one to spare. I managed to get the code, but we didn't get one for my wife's copy. I pre-ordered my copy at the EB I always frequent, and the manager there who knows me quite well taped his last code to my copy to ensure that I got one. However, since he only had one code left, I had to pre-order my wife's copy at another EB. The manager there told me they were just going to be giving them out to people as they picked up their games, but that they had "plenty" and getting one shouldn't be a problem. I am sure you can guess how this story ends..

So anyhow, if any benevolent soul has an extra code, it would be much obliged!

I pre-ordered ODST at the beginning of August and they said I would get the code when I picked it up. Then when I got there they didn't have any left and said it was first come, first serve and that I can take it up with Microsoft.

I find it kinda funny that they couldn't produce enough of the Pre-order bonuses, which is just a little piece of cardboard, but they had no problem at all making a ridiculous amount of Halo 3 Legendary editions, which include a freaking MC helmet, that are still taking up space in quite a few of stores 2 years after the release. Good management Microsoft/Bungie.

I pre-ordered and didn't receive a code either. However, I called EB's customer service line (1-800-883-8895) and they're sending me a code via e-mail. They asked for some numbers from the receipt, my name and email. They said I should receive the code in 24-48hrs. Hopefully it works!

[quote name='dawsonn']I pre-ordered and didn't receive a code either. However, I called EB's customer service line (1-800-883-8895) and they're sending me a code via e-mail. They asked for some numbers from the receipt, my name and email. They said I should receive the code in 24-48hrs. Hopefully it works![/QUOTE]

Maybe I should do that, then give the code out on the forum to someone else who didn't get it.

And I'd like to send big thanks to snuter and tahoesnowboarder for offering the codes. :D

I had an extra code but offered it up to my Xbox LIVE Friends list. Needless to say, it got snatched up pretty quick! Nice to see people sharing with their fellow gamer rather than hording codes and peddling them on eBay...

I pre-ordered my copy the 19th at HMV and got my pre-order Sgt. Johnson. Although when I did pre-order I was told that they were sold out of the CE version of ODST so my guess is that only a certain amount of codes were handed out.
Why they didn't say that though is messed up though...

even the code has limited stock. For example, if only 50 codes are available at a store and 70 pre-orders were made, the last 20 pre orders wouldn't get it even if they pre-ordered it. Sometimes, less than 50 preorders were made so even those who didnt preorder got it as well. It does stay 'while stock lasts'.

[quote name='neksus']Umm. Figurine + Gift card > Sgt. Johnson code.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but a lot of people are self-entitled, greedy, smug little consumer-power pricks.

[quote name='Adamantum']I had an extra code but offered it up to my Xbox LIVE Friends list. Needless to say, it got snatched up pretty quick! Nice to see people sharing with their fellow gamer rather than hording codes and peddling them on eBay...[/QUOTE]

I still can't see how people are making money off shit shit, like 2 bucks a code even and for what? Hours of hoarding?

bread's done
Back