Help - Ipod won't turn on...

Wlogan31

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
So I got an Ipod for Christmas and I am JUST NOW getting around to using it (super busy at work this year, etc). I used it once prior to now with no problems, but I go to finally load some music on it and it won't turn on. I connected the USB cord to the computer, but the computer didn't even recognize the Ipod (which it did before when I loaded a movie). If it makes a difference, I have the 30 GB Video model.

Any ideas what to do?

The battery may have died...try and leave it charging for a few hours before trying to operate it...ideally if you have the power charger adapter use that instead of the usb cable.

I had a similar problem, once the battery goes completely dead it takes a while before it is charged enough where it will play. Just a thought

[quote name='Scorch']power cycle it.. hold the power button down for like 30 seconds.. or let it charge overnight[/quote]

I'm a total NOOB - which one is the power button?

[quote name='loserboy']The battery may have died...try and leave it charging for a few hours before trying to operate it...ideally if you have the power charger adapter use that instead of the usb cable.

I had a similar problem, once the battery goes completely dead it takes a while before it is charged enough where it will play. Just a thought[/quote]

I think my USB cable somehow died since using it for the first time b/c the computer isn't even seeing it when I plug it in. I guess I need to buy the charger thing...

[quote name='Wlogan31']I think my USB cable somehow died since using it for the first time b/c the computer isn't even seeing it when I plug it in. I guess I need to buy the charger thing...[/QUOTE]

That happens when the iPod freezes up, so I doubt anything is wrong with your cable. Just try the reset and see if that works.

[quote name='norkusa']Hold down the center button and the play/pause button at the same time. That usually fixes it.[/quote]

Crap...that didn't work.

Any chance the ipod died while just sitting on my desk for 6 months?

What version iPod do you have? 5th? I know that reset trick worked on my 4th gen iPod but maybe it's a different button combo with the newer ones.

Do you have the manual? It'll say what to do/press when your iPod freezes and locks up. Guess it's a common problem. Or try pressing the center button + menu (up). It's been a while since I had to do it so maybe I gave you the wrong info.

[quote name='norkusa']What version iPod do you have? 5th? I know that reset trick worked on my 4th gen iPod but maybe it's a different button combo with the newer ones.

Do you have the manual? It'll say what to do/press when your iPod freezes and locks up. Guess it's a common problem[/quote]

No clue what version - Just know its a 30gb video ipod that i got sometime between jan and feb of this year

So it's a 5th or 5.5 gen then. How long are you holding the center & play/pause buttons down for? I remember with mine, I had to hold it for maybe 5-10 seconds before it reset.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it is a bad battery.

[quote name='norkusa']So it's a 5th or 5.5 gen then. How long are you holding the center & play/pause buttons down for? I remember with mine, I had to hold it for maybe 5-10 seconds before it reset.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it is a bad battery.[/quote]

Yeah - I tried it for like 30 seconds...I really hope its the cord and not the ipod or battery, etc as it has been over 6 months since purchase and I think I threw out the receipt :(

Thanks for trying!

[quote name='norkusa']Hold down the center button and the play/pause button at the same time. That usually fixes it.[/QUOTE]

You have to switch the hold switch on hold , and then off hold , prior to doing this .

bread's done
Back