Help me choose a job. Options given.

Swift900

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Alright, here is my situation. I'm a poor college student (aren't we all?), and next week I will be signing a lease for an apartment, which will require me to pick up an additional job this summer. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep this job on into the school year, so it must be flexible in terms of my work schedule. Below I have listed my local mall's offerings minus the places I refuse to work.

Beauty & Health
GNC
Sunglass Hut
Vitamin World

Department Stores
Bon Ton
Burlington Coat Factory
JCPenney
Macy's
Sears

Entertainment
Cinema 6 (movie theatre)

Home Accessories
Furniture Max
Gadgets & More

Men's Fashions
Abercrombie & Fitch
Aéropostale
American Eagle Outfitters
Champ's Sports
Dick's Sporting Goods
Eddie Bauer
ExpressMen
Foot Locker
Gap
Hollister Co.
Old Navy
PacSun
RavenRock Workwear
Steve & Barry's University Sportswear
T.J. Maxx

Music, Video & Electronics
Borders
fye-for your entertainment
Radio Shack

Restaurants
Max & Erma's
Outback Steakhouse
Red Lobster
Ruby Tuesday
Smokey Bones

Shoes
American Eagle Outfitters
Champ's Sports
Dick's Sporting Goods
DSW Shoe Warehouse
Finish Line
Foot Locker
Journeys
Lady Foot Locker
Meeker Marshall
Payless ShoesSource
The Shoe Dept.

Specialty Stores
A.C. Moore Arts & Crafts
All Custom Re-Bath
Dollar Blitz
Hat World
KaBloom
Michaels
OfficeMax

Sporting Goods & Apparel
Champ's Sports
Dick's Sporting Goods
Finish Line
Foot Locker
Gander Mountain
Hat World
The Pro Image

There are a couple more options I have, which I'll list a little later. If you guys have any experience working at any of these places I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thanks a lot!

6 years at RadioShack. You can make quite a bit of money at a mall store, but you have to be comfortable in a pressure sales environment. But, you might apply for the mall and get placed at another store, unless you impress the mall store manager.

I actually used to know a guy who managed a RS not too far out of erie, he's been out of that company for a few years now though.

Good luck.

I would suggest working somewhere that allows you to wear your own clothes. Working in a mall job is much less demeaning when you dont have a matching uniform to go with it.

Borders
A&F
Hollister
PacSun
GNC

All of these would probably be good since you would get a nice discount to offset the crazy prices .

Restaurants will prob. get you the most dough, but will usually require the most work.

Other places: GNC (i've never seen ANYONE go in), Sunglass/watch/hat, officemax ( know people who worked at staples, loved it). I would overall say Outback.

Don't do the Movie Theater. I have a few friends who have worked at one around here and the hours are not flexible in the least(Obviously weekends are when they need a shit ton of people, which is when you don't want to have to work as a college student), and it's just a shitty work environment because most people hate it.
On the other hand, I knew a few people who worked at pacsun and really enjoyed it.
To each his own.

The most important thing is to go with a store that you feel very comfortable in. That you know your way around, have knowledge of most things in the store, and can be very helpful. If you enjoy your surroundings the day will go by quicker and would involve much less pain. Also, the smaller the store, the better it generally is.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I would suggest working somewhere that allows you to wear your own clothes. Working in a mall job is much less demeaning when you dont have a matching uniform to go with it.

Borders
A&F
Hollister
PacSun
GNC

All of these would probably be good since you would get a nice discount to offset the crazy prices .[/quote]

I agree, not only do you get to wear your own clothes, but the girls kinda make up for the rather shitty pay.

Work at a restaurant dude. The nicer the better. Sure putting up with peoples shit all the time sucks, but 20$ an hour on a good night is a hell of a lot better than 7$. Once you become familiar with the restaurants processes and menu, its an easy job too. If you dont think you can be a server or bartender, try to do room service at a nice hotel. I worked at a hotel on the beach as room service guy in high school, and it was the best fucking job ever. You see so many weirdos, get weird tips (drugs) and make awesome money.

Depends on your interests. You can make good scratch at a resteraunt as a server, but then again you work horrible hours... while your friends and family are out having fun, you're working.

I'd say go for a retail position at the place that has the most stuff you'd want to buy on discount. Stick with it too and try to get some assistant management experience, future employers like this.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with retail. My father worked his whle life in retail and probably regrets it.

Work at a restraunt. It's work, but it's better that working retail.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i vote for Dick's Sporting Goods so you can answer the phone "DICKS! How can I help you today?"[/QUOTE]
something tells me the telephone greeting at Smokey Bones is even more bone-larious

Im telling ya now, don't work at hollister, a&f, american eagle if you're going to be paying rent and shit on a monthly basis, they're always ''looking for fresh faces'' which means, if you're not anbest buddy with the managers, or MIT's, you'll work good hours for a month, then get the shaft with a day or two of work each week after that. I hated A&F, but my sister hooked me up with the job cause she was a MIT... so it ended up being alright, but once she left, the new MIT started scheduling me for just weekends.

but then again, the upside about these jobs are
a) the girls.
b) 50 percent discount on a set outfit at the beginning of each season.
c) these kinds of jobs are TOO easy to find.

and wearing 'whatever you want' doesnt mean nintendo shirts, shirts with other logos and shit on 'em... it means, wear a t-shirt with NOTHING on it.. or wear [insert where you work here].

work at a department store, or telemarketing... easy money.

I see that GS/EB/whatever you have at your mall was left off the list, perhaps intentionally. This is good. You do not want to work there.

I agree with GNC. No one goes in there except for my boyfriend, and he's currently in Guam, so you'll never have any customers.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I see that GS/EB/whatever you have at your mall was left off the list, perhaps intentionally. This is good. You do not want to work there.
[/QUOTE]

In case they were unintentionally left off, I'm quoting this so you see it. Trust her, shit, trust ME....it's...terrible.

Reality's Fringe;2673385 said:
In case they were unintentionally left off, I'm quoting this so you see it. Trust her, shit, trust ME....it's...terrible.

Would anyone really want to work for this guy anyway?
steve_morgan.jpg

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Would anyone really want to work for this guy anyway?
steve_morgan.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Directly? Sure. Marketing for EB/GS would be tight. In terms of game-store-work-slave-bitch, fuck no.

[quote name='jPoD']Directly? Sure. Marketing for EB/GS would be tight. In terms of game-store-work-slave-bitch, fuck no.[/QUOTE]

Their marketing right now blows ass. I would welcome any new ideas you would have, honestly.

My recommendation would be to pick the job that would be best suited for your future goals.

For instance, if you wanted a career involving computers, a job at Office Max, CompUSA, etc. would be better than a job at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. You'll gain product knowledge and start to have some (somewhat) related work experience. Sure, it's still ultimately retail and will still likely suck ass, but it will look a bit more impressive on your resume later down the line.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Their marketing right now blows ass. I would welcome any new ideas you would have, honestly.[/QUOTE]

exactly ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Would anyone really want to work for this guy anyway?
steve_morgan.jpg
[/quote]

I would. I bet I could grift him good. He has that unaware douchebag look with a combination of possible lazy eye in the not too distant future.

Alright, retail jobs suck, all of them, picking one that sucks less is like picking which nut you want to get punched in.

Unless you plan on doing school work while you work you don't want to sit around and do nothing, as great as it sounds to sit on a stool and get paid all day, that shit sucks, you'll go crazy.

Take the server job at a restaurant, as long as you're somewhat personable and got your head on right you can make decent money, let's look at what you listed.

Max & Erma's
Outback Steakhouse
Red Lobster
Ruby Tuesday
Smokey Bones

You want to get in a place that has a high check average, so your tip is higher, on average. I never heard of Max and Ermas but right on the front page they got some 13.99 deal for a full meal, stay away from them, you're lookin at 6 bucks per couple and I'm sure there's a lot of them in there.

You also want to stay away from places that send out lots of coupons because most people tip on the total after the discount. So that takes Outback and Red Lobster off the list.

Ruby Tuesdays sucks. They think their better than Applebees, they're not , they're the same fuckin place.

Smokey Bones actually has pretty decent food, and everyone loves ribs and by looking at the menu you're looking at a Per Person Check Average of around 22 bucks, which is around 8 bucks per table tip, 5 table section, 40 bucks per hour on the floor. Not too shabby.

steve_morgan.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Look at those eyes. They just scream "Bust your ass to make me money so I can cut your hours arbitrarily!"

Also, you know no one at GS corporate plays video games. It's like the CEO of Red Lobster eating at one of his own restaraunts.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Smokey Bones actually has pretty decent food, and everyone loves ribs and by looking at the menu you're looking at a Per Person Check Average of around 22 bucks, which is around 8 bucks per table tip, 5 table section, 40 bucks per hour on the floor. Not too shabby.[/QUOTE]

Moreover, I never worked in a ribs joint, but I imagine with ribs that, since cooking them doesn't allow for that kind of customizability (I want it medium rare, or sauce on the side kinda picky bitches) your life there will be much easier than at other joints.

Best part? Since most restaraunts work on a rotation schedule, you're not obliged to put in 8 hour + shifts (save for the weekend doubles from time to time). One night, $120+ in hand out the door? 6-8 hours. Shitty night, slow business? You're fillin' up salt shakers and back home by 7:30PM. The flexibility of hours is a beauty and a burden in the restaraunt biz. You get more money per hour, work fewer hours per week and per day, but you also say to your friends "well, if you're partying this weekend, I'll be there at 1AM." Not a bad tradeoff in the slightest.

bread's done
Back