Help me choose an HDTV?

StateofMind

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (94%)
I'm in desperate need of an upgrade for my bedroom TV, and I've decided to use a credit card for the first time in my life in order to build some credit. I got a card a Walmart that won't charge me any interest (I have the cash to spend now, so I'll probably pay it off in a month or two), and I'm currently trying to decide between the selection that they've got. My price range is $600-$700, and it looks like I've got some decent options.

Basically, these are the ones I'm trying to decide between:

Sony 32"
Samsung 32"
Vizo 37"
Toshiba 32"
Sharp 32"

I don't know much (anything) about the differences between them. It would be great if anyone could lend some advice. I'll be mounting the TV on my wall.

I'll definitely go to the store and look at them before I buy, but I know that there are probably a lot of variables like store lighting/TV settings that could throw an uneducated buyer like myself off.

Those TV's all seem similar in specs but the Toshiba is 1080p while the rest are 720p. The Vizio is larger however, but seems a bit weaker but those numbers are not standardized. I'd just check them all out at the store and see which one looks best to my eyes. When playing around with the settings you can just use a preset option in the menu; if there is a "movie" preset, that's probably the best looking one.

With Black Friday so close, why not just wait to get one? Also, you can probably find cheaper deals online instead of B&M if you just look around a little. Costco has a 32'' Westinghouse LCD for $399 if you are on a budget but I can't vouch for the quality.
This one is also nice: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

The same Samsung but slightly better specs and a generation ahead of the one you listed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16889102197

These aren't even that great of deals, you can score much better on Black Friday and during the holiday shopping season.

Get a Samsung LN32A450 for performance, the 330 if you dont really care. That Toshiba sucks, even with 1080P the black level on those are lame. The Sharp and Sony are decent, but id go with the samsung regardless. The A450 model has improved response time (for gaming), Contrast ratio, better processor, better sound.

I have a Samsung LN32A450 in the guest bedroom. It was under $560 on Amazon. It looks very good and has a lot of features. I'd recommend Samsung to most anyone.

I have an LN46A750 and I am quite happy with it.
I would start with measuring your wall/room and see what size would fit it perfectly.
It's always better to go big, but it's not gonna make sense if your TV is bigger than your room.
You might want to hold out a bit longer since they have gotten a lot cheaper in the past months (I've seen mine drop $200 since I got it 2-3 months ago).
Also consider what you're gonna use it for and what features you'll be interested in.
Picture quality is on the top of the list but you might want to consider sound and connectivity properties as well.

[quote name='StateofMind'] I've decided to use a credit card for the first time in my life in order to build some credit. I got a card a Walmart that won't charge me any interest [/quote]

don't expect that 0% interest to last forever bro!!!

Thanks so much for all of the great replies. I've heard only good things about Samsung before, and it looks like everyone here agrees with those sentiments. Since it's so close to the holidays, I probably will hold out just for another couple of weeks to see what happens...but I will definitely keep my eye on the Samsung.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I have a Samsung LN32A450 in the guest bedroom. It was under $560 on Amazon. It looks very good and has a lot of features. I'd recommend Samsung to most anyone.[/QUOTE]

My HDTV is Samsung as well, and it's very very nice.

As he said, go with Samsung.

bread's done
Back