Help Me Decide: PS3 vs. 360

DJ K8E

Banned
Okay, I have to get this out in the open. The last couple days it's felt like two lawyers arguing in my head (not fun) about what to do. So, in an oddball way allow me to present my (lawyer's) thoughts on the issues. Or in another words, the points I keep bringing up for each.

Lawyer #1: The PS3 Lawyer

* You are already a Sony fan girl of high caliber, and already have a pretty decent PlayStation library, and have had a PS2 since it's inception.
* The PS3 will have better graphics than the 360 almost out of the box, and if not it will before long.
* Being as you have always enjoyed the PlayStation exclusives, you will enjoy this generations as well.
* Free online play and content by and large. No paying to play online like the 360.
* You can get rid of your PS2 along with one or two games to get the PS3 thereby knocking the price down.
* You never liked the Xbox, or GameCube, you only had them for a short while, and only a couple of games for each, what makes you think this round will be any different?
* Motion sensor controller could be interesting down the line.
* Built in Blu-Ray player in case that becomes the next big format.
* It's fully backwards compatible all the way back to the PS1. So no need to throw out all your old games. 360 is not fully backwards compatible.
* 360 only has a couple of interesting games at the moment. Not worth it yet.
* You probably won't even keep the 360 long if you do get it, and that will ruin your shot at getting the PS3 as quick as you want.
* Our controller design is perfect.

Lawyer #2: The 360 Lawyer

* Our system is $200 cheaper.
* We have Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. (Big point. I played Morrowind, I wasn't heard from for weeks.)
* Better graphics than anything out currently.
* You can get it, pretty much, NOW.
* More developers are making games for the 360 than they were for the original Xbox.
* Your friends will be super-jealous and want to play it, and you can just be like... :shame:
* Original playlists for your sports games.
* People have said that the 360 is easier to develop for which may mean more exclusive games and/or quirky titles.

I don't want to incite any flames or wars or anything. I'm asking for quality analysis on what I should do. Right now, I can get a 360 and a game or two, OR wait for PS3 and do the same.

Sorry, but I'm going out of my head over here and need other people's thoughts & comments to help me decide. So thanks in advance.

The one I'm favoring is pretty obvious, so I'm not going to pretend I don't have a bias. I do own all 3 current-gen consoles, but I only just picked an Xbox back up for some of the quirckier titles and because the games are getting dirt-cheap. Anyway, here's some more food for thought.

1) $200 isn't THAT big of a difference if you're already considering dropping $400, and as you said you can make some of that up by dropping your PS2, not having to pay online fees, etc. Plus it's a one-time thing. Shouldn't be a deciding factor imo.

2) Allow me to point you to this article, dated yesterday, which says that it's very likely that Oblivion is in fact headed to the PS3. Apparently, EB/GS are showing a release date for it in November.

3) If you've waited this long, you only have just under 4 more months to go. In the meantime, lots of quality PS2 games still headed your way.

4) The biggest point, really. All bias aside, if you didn't care for the Xbox lineup, you're most likely not going to care for the 360 lineup. All signs point to the 360 having the same kind of titles available, with very little Japanese support (which is the main thing that set the PS2 & Xbox apart). You should always buy a system based on it having games that you'll like - if Oblivion is the only one that interests you, then as I said, it appears to be headed to the PS3 anyway.

Wait for games to come out that you like. You know, GAMES - the only thing that really matters in the decision.

The PS3 isnt going to have 100% backwards compatibility either. The PS2 doesnt have 100% PS1 compatibility.

Look at the exclusives. Do you want the first part Sony games or the first party Microsoft games? What about games like Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 4, or Metal Gear Solid 4 which will all likely be exclusive to the PS3? Or do you want Gears of War, Halo 3, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, and games made by Rare? I would guess that most third party games will come out for both systems, with the PS3 version looking just a little bit better.

You may want to wait a little while until you make your decision. Not everything is known about the PS3 at this point, so making a decision may be hard (for example we know PS3 online will be free, but will it be as good as Live? How much will the games be? The controllers? etc)

[quote name='DJ K8E']
* You never liked the Xbox, or GameCube, you only had them for a short while, and only a couple of games for each, what makes you think this round will be any different?[/quote]

I'm also going to take issue with this point regarding the Gamecube. Clearly a lot about their next round is going to be very different.

I'm in the same situation in a way. I want the 360 since its out now, but then I know for certain when the PS3 is out I'll regret getting the 360 and try to make some money off of it for a PS3.

I just thought of it this way: Do I want a console now that has maybe 5 games I'll want to play or wait for a console, that, while more expensive I will get a lot more enjoyment out of that will play most if not all of my PS1/PS2 games.

I hate that we are months from launch and still know very little of launch titles, online game play details, and of course availability. I too would recommend a wait and see approach. It's really a coke or pepsi choice.

[quote name='6669']PS3=$600 and Metal Gear Solid 4
Xbox360=$400 and Halo 3[/quote]
Don't forget RE: 5 for 360. It'll probably port later down the road tho.....so....nevermind.....

[quote name='DJ K8E']

* Free online play and content by and large. No paying to play online like the 360.
[/QUOTE]

Is this a fact ? I thought sony was being really shady about their online plan. At E3 it was something like "Profiles will be completely FREE!!!"

But didn't say anything about online play being free.

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Don't forget RE: 5 for 360. It'll probably port later down the road tho.....so....nevermind.....[/QUOTE]

RE5 is being developed side by side for both platforms. I'm sure they will release on the same day if not days of each other,

[quote name='argyle']2) Allow me to point you to this article, dated yesterday, which says that it's very likely that Oblivion is in fact headed to the PS3. Apparently, EB/GS are showing a release date for it in November.[/quote]
Thank you, that's the single most useful bit of info I've seen.

Right now, the only reason I'm looking at the 360 the way I am is because these upcoming titles I'm seeing, some are heading for the 360, and are looking and sounding great. Like Dead Rising, BioShock, Kane and Lynch, Gears of War, and such.

I know the PS3 will have it's share too, but I guess in the magazines I've been reading there's more 360 stuff being previewed and it's getting me all excited. I really haven't seen a lot of PS3 exclusives that I'm excited about yet that aren't going to be multi-platform besides returning favorites like Tekken, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid and so on.

[quote name='dberuvides']Just buy them both and problem solved. We are only talking about a few hundreds of dollars NOT THOUSANDS!!!! JESUS!!!![/QUOTE]
PS3+360 is $1000, and then the games... :lol:

[quote name='dberuvides']Just buy them both and problem solved. We are only talking about a few hundreds of dollars NOT THOUSANDS!!!! JESUS!!!![/quote]
$400+$600+games = > $1000

Edit: didn't see that^ was playing Halo >_>

[quote name='KingDox']Is this a fact ? I thought sony was being really shady about their online plan. At E3 it was something like "Profiles will be completely FREE!!!"

But didn't say anything about online play being free.[/quote]
Basically, it'll be like Live mixed with the PS2 setup in that it'll have many of the same features as Live, but be free unless the publisher/developer wants to charge for you to play online (for MMO's and such).

For me it's not a question of if, but when. I bought the PS2 first and had it for quite a while before I got an XBOX (there was a Gamecube purchase in between). I already have a 360 and plan to eventually buy the Wii and PS3. I think I'm going to wait until the 2nd or 3rd release of the PS3 so that Sony can work some of the bugs out.

What I don't understand is why people are comparing the $600 PS3 to the $400 360. It seems to me that the $500 PS3 is more comparable to the 360. On paper, the PS3 has superior processing capability and BluRay DVD player for the $100 difference which is not too bad. The $600 PS3 on top of that gets you HDMI, WiFi (I think), and a 60GB hard drive. If you purchase another 20GB (or 60GB when its offered) hard drive and the WiFi adapter for the 360, it would cost you $600 and you still don't have an HD DVD player. I don't put a whole lot of weight on the DVD player because we still don't know who will win the format war, but it's still a nice to have. I never even used my PS2 to play DVD's, but I might have to just to see the difference. I may be wrong about some of what's included, but the PS3 seems to be a decent deal for the money, but I know $600 is a lot to spend on a video game system. --> End Rant.

the Kidtendo wee wee is not sold at loss. thats means nintendo doesnt care about the costumers. i will buy PS3 when MGS4 is out for now PS2 is fine.

Buy both. Problem solved.

I love my 360 now. I do however think I'm going to wait a bit for the PS3. The money isn't the issue. I just have a huge backlog of games I want to enjoy for a bit.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Buy both. Problem solved.[/quote]

That's really not an option for me.

I just don't like having more than one console hooked up at a time. I like to focus my energy, and my money. So this is why I bring it up.

The Nine-Ten-D'OH! will not be a possibility, but I have just been having thoughts of entertaining the possibility of getting a 360. I'm probably going to stick with getting the PS3, since I'm such a PlayStation whore. Though I'm still entertaining the idea of getting a 360. I just wish their online was free to play for all, and pay if you want bells & whistles, that'd be a major point for them.

Still I must say the 360 lineup is looking better than the Xbox's so far. One major reason I didn't keep the Xbox was when I asked people what was good for it they were like... uhhh... Halo? Oh, yeah, and another one? Um... Halo 2... And another one? Then they would just pass out. Halo's great guys, but, it's just a shooter, call me when you have one excellent game for each genre, then we'll talk. Anyway, that's my take on it. Thanks for the help.

360. Systems are going to be equal in my opinion yet you'll have more money for the games.

Buy the bundle that supposedly comes out on Aug. 1st.

for the $600 you would need to get a PS3 you would get the 360 and 5 games or so for that same price with the 360.

Simple decision in my mind.

Just a quick question. Is the MGS series not every going to be on the xbox 360? I remember MGS 2 Substance for the xbox so im wondering if they would do something like that again with newer ones.

DJ,

Why do you want to "focus" your energy on one console? If it's a money issue, I fully understand. But, at the end of the day, both consoles will have exclusive games that are worth playing (just like this generation did). Why limit yourself just to "focus".

There may be many good reasons not to get both, but I don't think this is a good one.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I do own a XBOX 360.

I think the PS3 v. 360 debate is a good one.

However that being said, I probably will not be picking up a PS3 anytime soon. Why? because the next generation isn't about exclusives anymore as I seriously doubt that there will be any, save for the first party titles. Developers would be foolish to do so. Look at what the install base for the 360 will be by the time PS3 launches (8-10 million units estimated). That's a huge part of the equation in deciding exclusivity. (Assassin's Creed, anyone?) Another part is the $600 price tag...and all things being equal $200 is a big difference...a big enough difference to decide between 2 consoles with very similar features but different technologies. The final factor is the Wii...I find myself asking "for the price of a PS3, I can have almost BOTH a 360 and a Wii." Where do I sign up?

Ultimately I will be purchasing a PS3 for the first party titles along the line, so it's really a moot point for me, but if I didn't already own a 360, I would have go the route of the Wii60.

K8E,

it sounds like youve already decided on the PS3, so I think thats what you should go for.

If you have a decent PC, you could be playingv Elder Scrolls right now. It came out for the PC the same day and the 360.

As far as the PS3 being alot more expensive, look at it this way...

Premium PS3 = $600 thats comes with wifi built in and free online play.

Premium X360 = $400. Wifi adapter = $100, year of Xbox Live = $80

Kinda almost evens out dont it?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The PS3 isnt going to have 100% backwards compatibility either. The PS2 doesnt have 100% PS1 compatibility.[/QUOTE]

About a dozen games in the U.S. Nothing to get excited about.

Get a 360 and a Wii.

The only Japanese style gaming I like is that which Nintendo creates -- first or third party.

Wait, what was the difference between the two PS3's? WiFi, HDMI, and a bigger hard drive? Cause I don't think I need any of those, damn, I might be able to knock $100 off of it. Not looking as bad price-wise now.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Wait, what was the difference between the two PS3's? WiFi, HDMI, and a bigger hard drive? Cause I don't think I need any of those, damn, I might be able to knock $100 off of it. Not looking as bad price-wise now.[/quote]

The cheaper PS3 is missing the built in wifi, hardrive drops from 60gb to 20gb, no HDMI slot (no true 1080p) and theres no card slots (sd/cf/etc). Thats all that I can think of.

The missing HDMI connection is what kills it for me. With the 360, at least you can turn the cheaper one into the premium system. The cheaper PS3 sku is totally crippled without that HDMI.

[quote name='Puffa469']The cheaper PS3 is missing the built in wifi, hardrive drops from 60gb to 20gb, no HDMI slot (no true 1080p) and theres no card slots (sd/cf/etc). Thats all that I can think of.

The missing HDMI connection is what kills it for me. With the 360, at least you can turn the cheaper one into the premium system. The cheaper PS3 sku is totally crippled without that HDMI.[/quote]
Yeah, except I don't know what HDMI is, and my TV is old and has no such hookups, and I'm not inclined to get a brand new TV to take advantage of this. The WiFi, also don't care about, as long as there's a slot for broadband, it works for me, since WiFi is kinda pointless for me to have. The drop in memory isn't a big deal, 20GB is probably going to be enough for just about everything I can think of, especially out of the box, and if I find that down the road somewhere it isn't enough, I'm sure there will be some kind of way to upgrade the drive, by the time it becomes an issue for me.

Plus I have no reason for it to read flash memory cards unless that means that I can't use older PlayStation memory cards. Which leads me to another question on what will I do with my saves from older games? Do I keep the memory cards, will I be able to transfer them? Will my old peripheral controllers work on the new system (Guitar Hero/Taiko Drum Master/etc.)? So many questions I have. :dunce:

If you've got an old TV, you shouldn't really concern yourself over which system is going to look better graphically since you won't even be getting the best graphics out of each system without an HDTV to begin with.

It'll still look ok, it just won't be living up to its full potential.

HDMI is the connection you use to hook it up to a high def tv. If you dont have a hdtv, the HDMI slot wont concern you. But, if you think you might get one in the next 5 years, you may want to consider it.

I also have a crappy old tube tv. But I'll probably get a new one in the next few years, so if I ever got a PS3, it would have to have that HDMI connector on it.

Also, Im sure both models of the PS3 will have memory card slots.

[quote name='Puffa469']HDMI is the connection you use to hook it up to a high def tv. If you dont have a hdtv, the HDMI slot wont concern you. But, if you think you might get one in the next 5 years, you may want to consider it.

I also have a crappy old tube tv. But I'll probably get a new one in the next few years, so if I ever got a PS3, it would have to have that HDMI connector on it.

Also, Im sure both models of the PS3 will have memory card slots.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a high end HDTV, the HDMI slot won't concern you. Only the really expensive HDTVs support 1080p in the first place.

And if the standard PS3 is "crippled" because it doesn't have the HDMI port, does that mean both versions of the 360 are crippled?

i wish i could help you out but im in the same boat myself. i could possibly afford either at the end of the year but damn if the high ps3 price is too much. if anything id suggest you wait till all systems are out and see if the ps3 lives up to the hype . ive always been into sony games and systems but i love all games and i have to say the 360 is about to come into its own and i like what i hear about xbox live. and alot fo the games coming out for the 360 look amazing but id hate to miss out on all the ps3 games that will come up from the ps2 . if anything wait till spring of next year to see whats what.

[quote name='richbastard']the Kidtendo wee wee is not sold at loss. thats means nintendo doesnt care about the costumers. i will buy PS3 when MGS4 is out for now PS2 is fine.[/QUOTE]

What's this? Are you trying to say Nintendo dresses itself up because it doesn't care about costumers? Or like the people that wear costumes on Halloween? I'm lost.

[quote name='DJ K8E'][1]* The PS3 will have better graphics than the 360 almost out of the box, and if not it will before long.
[2]* Being as you have always enjoyed the PlayStation exclusives, you will enjoy this generations as well. [...] * You never liked the Xbox, or GameCube, you only had them for a short while, and only a couple of games for each, what makes you think this round will be any different?
[3] * 360 only has a couple of interesting games at the moment. Not worth it yet.
[4] * Our controller design is perfect.[/QUOTE]

I'd make a case against four points (technically 5, but two are very similar) that you made for Sony, as labeled here.

1. The fact that you believe PS3 will have better graphics by and large is mostly the hype machine that is Sony thus far. Any official numbers from developers and screens of comparable games make the graphical differences almost negligable.

2. This will not be a generation of numerous, high profile third party exclusives. Many firms, Square included, have made statements that they either are or are considering multiplatform strategies for all titles. It is just too damn expensive to make a game nowadays without maximizing the potential customer base. Sony is trying to hamper this by making their consoles increasingly complex to develop for - the Cell makes cross platform programming a nightmare - but, since most of the cost of a game's development comes from art and not code, I don't see developers steering towards exclusives because of portability issues.

3. What PS3 games will be out at/around launch that are interesting? The only games that most would argue right now will be very interesting for PS3 is FF13 and MGS4 - neither of which will be out until 2007 (my bet being fall 2007). On the contrary, 360 has a handful of promising second gen titles coming out this fall and the following spring. While it may not have the same appeal, the amount of quality titles for the two platforms will definitely be approximately equal in the future.

4. I would argue that Sony's controller is the jack of all trades, master of none. For now-last generation consoles, I'd say PS2's controller was my least favorite. For the 32-/64-bit generation, the Saturn's pad was by far my favorite. That's just this magicians opinion, as it is clear what yours is.

I don't know what this debate is for, though. You clearly will buy the PS3 no matter what happens because, even in your arguments, there is heavy Sony bias. Not that that's wrong, do your own thing. But, when one of your lawyers is saying "But you'll sell your 360 almost immediately anyway because it sucks", this lawyer will call for a mistrial.

[quote name='richbastard']the Kidtendo wee wee is not sold at loss. thats means nintendo doesnt care about the costumers. i will buy PS3 when MGS4 is out for now PS2 is fine.[/QUOTE]

Wahh, a company wants to make money.

Nintendo doesn't care about the customers? What about Sony, who says "Go get another damn job if you can't afford it, sucka"? I'd be more tempted to say the company that's trying their best to make their console affordable for the mass market on day one likes consumers more. But, hey, that's just me.

If I were you, I'd hold off on buying either system this year and just enjoy the last good holiday season releases for the PS2, especially if you like RPGs.

Aside from Dead Rising on the 360, the major Japanese-developed releases for BOTH systems aren't due until 2007 anyway, such as Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc. From the magazine coverage, it seemed to me that most of the playable PS3 games at E3 were either American- or European-developed.

If you absolutely must have a new system, you might want to pick up either a PSP or DS. I think MGS: Portable Ops is due this November and Ultimate Ghouls N Ghosts comes out soon as well. There is also a new Castlevania game on the way for the DS, as well as FFIII. Touch Detective from Atlus looks pretty interesting as well.

Good luck with your decision.

I plan to take the "Wii60" route as someone mentioned.
personally i dont really like the ps2 controllers, i prefer the offset analogs xbox has.
im sure ill probably pick up a ps3 maybe a year from now, if it lasts that long.

I have to agree with you about the PS2 controller DeathDealer. It's crazy that Sony didn't switch the positions of the left analog stick and the d pad for the PS3 controller.

[quote name='alongx']2. This will not be a generation of numerous, high profile third party exclusives. Many firms, Square included, have made statements that they either are or are considering multiplatform strategies for all titles. It is just too damn expensive to make a game nowadays without maximizing the potential customer base. Sony is trying to hamper this by making their consoles increasingly complex to develop for - the Cell makes cross platform programming a nightmare - but, since most of the cost of a game's development comes from art and not code, I don't see developers steering towards exclusives because of portability issues.[/QUOTE]

This is all speculation, of course, but personally I don't see this happening. If the 360 were selling better in Japan I could see it. But as it is, I don't see Japanese companies making games they expect to mainly appeal to Japanese gamers and porting those onto the 360. So I still don't expect to see that many RPGs and other mainly-Japanese style games on the 360. It just doesn't make sense.

As for the Wii, Nintendo have pretty much designed the system to not be port-friendly, for better or for worse.

EDIT: And as for controllers, I personally much prefer the DS over any other controllers available. It makes sense to me to have the 2 sticks parallel to each other, and I'm very glad Sony didn't change this.

I'm in a similar situation as you DJ. The simple fact of the matter is that I'm not going to buy a new PS2 when my current PS2 breaks, and I'm not going to give up the 100 games or so I have for the system already. The PS3 is a more practical upgrade for me because of the amount of games I already own made from Sony and the fact that there'll be PSP connectivity, and wouldn't you know it, I've got one of those too! That being said, I'd avoid picking it up at launch and go the Overstock route to get a noticeble discount on the system (essentially a free game if you do the math of the 10% discount). Also, Sony's first run of products usually have some bugs that are hammered out by the third shipment or so. Again, if I were you, I'd enjoy the holiday offerings of the PS2, rolls your pennies, and pick up a PS3 in March/April once the initial demand burns out.

Edit: So I suppose I'm a supporter of the WiiS3 route even though I have somer serious problems with Sony.

Yeah i'm in the same situation kinda. I'm leaning towards the 360, due to the games that are coming out. I'll most likely get a PS3 eventually, but that'll happen a while down the line.

Easy way for chicks to get something. Get a boyfriend, then complain that you want a Ps3 so bad but you don't have the money to buy it, next always mention something you like about Ps3,after that buy some accessories pre-launch but mention that you still can't afford the system but you wish you had one, finally sit and wait while your boyfriend claws away at the crowd battling for a Ps3 on launch day to please you. After all this is said and done tell him you want to see "OTHER PEOPLE"

Problem solved.

[quote name='Doom Gaze']Wii60 FTW. You can't ignore the Wii, and 360 is essentially the same experience as a PC but cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

bread's done
Back