Help me find a good WESTERN RPG!

Wezzles

CAGiversary!
Okay, I love RPGs but HATE JRPGS.  Please help me find a good one to purchase with at least some detail on the game(s).

Western RPGs I've enjoyed:

-KOTOR I & II

-Mass Effect I, 2, 3

-Skyrim

-Dragon Age: Origins 

-Fallout New Vegas

-Borderlands 2

I prefer the Bioware playstyle (especially the KOTOR/Dragon Age: Origins style) over the Bethesda playstyle but w/e.  As long as I can choose between some sort of good and evil and have a good time.  Help me out fellow CAGs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I'm good with waiting for Red Dead Redemption 2 in that genre :p

Kingdoms of Amalur

Oblivion

Fallout 3
I could never get into Fallout 3 like I did with New Vegas and Oblivion just feels too dated with Skyrim. I looked at some videos for Kingdom of Amular and it seems to just be more gameplay focused and less story/morality driven like KOTOR and Mass Effect ;/

Ummm... KOAR is VERY story driven, though morality isn't THAT important to the story.  But, I second Kingdoms of Amalur.

Fallout 3 is way better than New Vegas, but it has a pretty slow beginning. Once you finish killing giant ants, it gets pretty good. Its my favorite game as you can see by my profile picture :)

I would also suggest Skyrim and Morrowind. Morrowind is pretty old but is arguably the best of the series.

Borderlands 2 was my favorite. I don't really play a lot of RPGs. If you don't mind playing online you might give Defiance a shot, it's not great but it should tide you over until Diablo 3 comes to console.

Ummm... KOAR is VERY story driven, though morality isn't THAT important to the story. But, I second Kingdoms of Amalur.
Like I make decisions or it's pretty linear?

Fallout 3 is way better than New Vegas, but it has a pretty slow beginning. Once you finish killing giant ants, it gets pretty good. Its my favorite game as you can see by my profile picture :)

I would also suggest Skyrim and Morrowind. Morrowind is pretty old but is arguably the best of the series.
Might have to give Fallout 3 another chance. I had the GOTY edition for Xbox and basically did the Alian DLC, went to the Atomic bomb town, tried to do stuff there, and got bored. When I tried to venture further into the story I got killed by insanely powerful monsters trying to get to the objective

Have you considered Dragon's Dogma? With the exception of the travel system, it should keep you satisfied based off that list you provided.

Have you considered Dragon's Dogma? With the exception of the travel system, it should keep you satisfied based off that list you provided.
I just watched a video review. Looks great besides the whole "nighttime you're fucked" and how the reviewer (IGN) described it as boring story/quests...is it a hard game?

Your decisions in KOAR don't really affect much, but there is very little to no linearility (sp) to the game, yeah you should stay in certain areas until you're a certain level, think of it kind of like an MMO, but no multiplayer.

I just watched a video review. Looks great besides the whole "nighttime you're fucked" and how the reviewer (IGN) described it as boring story/quests...is it a hard game?
I wouldn't call it hard if you are an RPG guy. The traveling, like I mentioned, can get rather long and boring at times. It can be pretty long when you're exploring a world during nighttime because you're bothered so much by different sorts of creatures. This sucks when all of a sudden you pick up a quest and then notice that you're half a world away and need to make the hike...Eventually in the game you get what are called ferrystones to help you travel, but even then you have to buy them so you have to throw that into your budget management.

I wouldn't call it hard if you are an RPG guy. The traveling, like I mentioned, can get rather long and boring at times. It can be pretty long when you're exploring a world during nighttime because you're bothered so much by different sorts of creatures. This sucks when all of a sudden you pick up a quest and then notice that you're half a world away and need to make the hike...Eventually in the game you get what are called ferrystones to help you travel, but even then you have to buy them so you have to throw that into your budget management.
Not if you download the expansion dlc or buy it as a complete package. You get the unlimited Ferrystone and its adds a port crystal (free of charge) to the starting town.

bread's done
Back