Help me get back into gaming with a 360

TJordan522

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (88%)
Hey guys,

I used to post here regularly when I was in high school, but when I went away to college, I sort of lost interest in video gaming. Now it's 4 years later I have the itch to get back into it.

I used to have a 360 but being that I share it with my brother, I need to buy one to have on my own.

With Black Friday fast approaching, I'm trying to decide on a plan of action.

Will a $199 Arcade suffice? Or should I go for a $299 Elite?

Also, I came across this deal on eBay. It's a refurb but it comes with a Microsoft warranty: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390123163257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thoughts?

Are there any great Black Friday deals on a 360 that I could take advantage of?

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!!

Jordan

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']get a 199 arcade and a used 20 gig hardrive from here and your all set![/QUOTE]

Are there people on here selling hard drives? Or do you mean there are deals for hard drives posted?

Thanks!!

Don't ever buy a refurbished 360 unless you know the person and know they haven't tampered with it.

Buy an arcade, get a genuine 360 hard drive off ebay or in the trade/auction section here. I have two genuine drives right now up on ebay, check siggy.

Thanks, that's what I'll do then. When it comes to the Arcade, are there any versions I should specifically try for or avoid? What's this "Jasper" talk?

[quote name='TJordan522']Thanks, that's what I'll do then. When it comes to the Arcade, are there any versions I should specifically try for or avoid? What's this "Jasper" talk?[/QUOTE]

Jasper is just the codename for the XBOX's latest internal hardware. Designed to run cooler and also comes with 512mb onboard memory, a 1/3 or 1/2 of which will be dedicated to the new dashboard (NXE - New XBOX Experience). You won't find anything but Jaspers if you buy new.

Easy way to tell is by the sticker on the back of the 360 itself, where you can see inside the retail box through the slot. It will say 12.1V rating. If you are looking at used, same thing. Also, the power supply will be 150w. They used to be 175w and before that 225w.

Thanks again! And if I buy an Arcade, will I still be fine to play Live and save a few games on the built in 512mb while I look for a 20gb hard drive to buy?

Is there a reason you are looking for a 360 only?? I would guess because of games with your brother, but with the lineup the PS3 has in store for next year and ports of NMH/International editions of RE5 and Star Ocean:TLH, I am glad I got my PS3 today from Best Buy with Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank!

[quote name='TJordan522']Thanks again! And if I buy an Arcade, will I still be fine to play Live and save a few games on the built in 512mb while I look for a 20gb hard drive to buy?[/QUOTE]

The onboard memory is PLENTY for game saves and profiles. However, don't plan on downloading much (if any) XBLA titles. Now, you can install your retail games directly to the hard drive (if you have one -- about 4-6gb per game) and play from that -- giving your 360 dvd drive a nice vacation ;)

Not to mention how much quieter it is!

Amazon will have a couple deals on 360s tomorrow as well as every other retailer -- but no tax and free shipping for me there.

bread's done
Back