Help me invest in a fine HDTV.

controlcommerce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Hello everyone,

I got my taxes back and works been good lately, so I'm thinking of purchasing a HDTV and PS3. Thanks to my cheapass roots, I refuse to go to best buy. I want an unbeatable price with free or low shipping and no tax. I don't need the product to be the best on the market, I care more about price. I also have a lot of time to reach my goal (MGS4 does come out for a few months).

Here is what I have so far:

-TV #1 Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV HP-T5064
Cheapest price: $999.99 (with $99.99 shipped)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102147R

Pros: I'll let you watch the review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-hp-t5064/4505-6482_7-32331280.html

Cons: It is only 780p. Now I've heard that if your watching from 6ft away, you can't tell the difference between 1080p and 780p unless you useing it as an monitor. If someone disagrees or wants to add, please do. Another thing, the $999.99 price point is for an open-box set.

Notes: This TV was top of the line a year ago. I love the 50"... a lot. $1100.00 is a little more than I want to spent. But I can always eat Taco Bell and pick up extra shifts. ;) Also it being open-box is a little risky.

-TV #2 SCEPTRE Black 42"1080p LCD Monitor Model X42GV-Naga
Cheapest price: $899.99 ($749.99 after $150.00 Mail-In Rebate) Shipping $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112180

Pros: It's a 42" 1080p TV for $749.99, come on! Picture looks great.

Cons: Cheap built Chinese TV. Only one HDMI and Component port. Needs a media box.

Notes: Though it does need a media box, newegg gives you the $599.99 box for free. The reviews seem to be great (all the negative one focus on the media box). Were else can you get such a great deal. Also, I have no problem buying off brand.

-TV #3 Toshiba REGZA 42" 1080p Full HD LCDTV w/ CineSpeed
Cheapest price: $1,199.99 ($1,499.99 thanks to a snazzy $50 coupon) w/ free shipping.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=90671

Pros: Pretty good price. Brand name and well built. More plug-ins than a blow up doll.

Cons: Can't find a review (yet, link me). Price is a tad bit over my budget. But I can alway ebay my goods for a quick buck.

Notes: Now this was add pretty fast so my pro/con lists are short. I'm sure to add to it. This is a legit TV and I'm not cutting corners like the first two to save a buck. But like I said before, I have no problem with that. This might be the TV I jump on, given the right response.

This is all I got so far. I'll add more TVs to the list via everyone suggestions. Please let me know your opinion.

That TV was not the top of the line a year ago.

Also, Best Buy beats that crappy open-item price when it's on sale (like it was last week), but you, the savvy consumer, has already decided who will offer the best price, so why bother even looking at BBuy, right....?

WHY WOULD YOU EVER BUY AN OPEN BOX PLASMA? Would you believe a sales person who tells you "Oh someone bought it and returned it the same day. It surely hasn't been up on display at max brightness for 12 hours a day for the last 4 months!" I like Newegg, but I still would never, ever buy an open box plasma.

If you're looking at SCEPTRE brands (I don't have the time or energy to go through that TV you linked and tell you why it sucks just based on the specs) and TVs with only one HDMI port, you really need to do some more research on flat panel TVs before you go shopping for one. No one can help you when you're at this point.

Between buydig.com, amazon, and tigerdirect, you should be able to find a name brand 1080p well within your price range.

I got my TV from onecall.com after Christmas. I got a JVC (Model number escapes me) 42" 1080p for 899.99 and 149.00 for shipping and no tax. At the time the TV that I got was listed everywhere for at least 1350, so.... try onecall.com

[quote name='hardwo0d']I just went on there and they have a really nice LG 42" 1080 plasma for 949.00 with no tax and free shipping![/QUOTE]

Wow, someone that helped me and instead of being a douch. ;) Thanks, I don't have time to search the site, I'm about to head to work. Could you please link it. If not, I'll find it when I get home. That's a price I can't beat!

[quote name='controlcommerce']Wow, someone that helped me and instead of being a douch. ;) Thanks, I don't have time to search the site, I'm about to head to work. Could you please link it. If not, I'll find it when I get home. That's a price I can't beat![/quote]

Yeah, I'm a douche for telling you that you're just about to blow 1k on a product you have no clue about and haven't done any research on. Clearly. I'm the douche. I'm not the one going to end up with the mediocre TV. Enjoy your purchase.

Checked out the site and the TV you talking about is720p. But this might be the place where I buy. The have a Spring coupon in effect, $25 bucks off $949.99 and under and $50 off over $999.99. Also they have good warranty plans starting at $99 for 2 years.

I was first looking at this:
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87896
The reviews seem terrible though.

But then this came a long:
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=90671
I'm going to add this baby to the list. I can't seem to find to many review on it though. If anyone has something negative about it let me know.

[quote name='controlcommerce']TV #3 added. Let me know your thoughts.[/quote]

No reviews... I would stay away. Its most likely not being reviewed because its considered a lower end set and most sites don't have the means to test every tv made. This is one was forgotten I would assume.

Overstock has it cheaper and I dont know there shipping prices:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Toshiba-42RV530U-42-inch-REGZA-LCD-HDTV/3042824/product.html

You never really stated your budget, what is it?
SO maybe people can suggest items etc.

I'd skip the open box plasma. Plasma's have issues over time (something about the phosphors dimming over prolonged use). Plus, they all have glass on the front, and I'm not a fan of glossy television displays. Plus it adds a ton to the weight.

I'm getting a refurbed Samsung from Amazon, and normally I wouldn't get a refurb, but you get the full Samsung warranty for it.

[quote name='Lice']No reviews... I would stay away. Its most likely not being reviewed because its considered a lower end set and most sites don't have the means to test every tv made. This is one was forgotten I would assume.

Overstock has it cheaper and I dont know there shipping prices:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Toshiba-42RV530U-42-inch-REGZA-LCD-HDTV/3042824/product.html

SO maybe people can suggest items etc.[/QUOTE]

How exactly is it cheaper at Overstock.com?

Overstock: 1,279.95 + No Tax + Unknown Shipping
Onecall: 1,149.00 (w/coupon) + No Tax and Free Shipping

I was looking at the Regza before I bought mky JVC back in December. I actually went to a Tiger Direct store (we have these in Miami) and saw the TV up close. They are a great value and you really do get a good picture, plus you are getting a good brand name. In y humble opinion, however, I believe that pound-for-pound and buck-for-buck you will never go wrong with a Samsung LCD, you may pay a little more now, but you will more than make that up with the great quality.

[quote name='Lice']
SO maybe people can suggest items etc.[/QUOTE]

Your right Lice, my budget is round $1000. Every hundred over is a big deal.

[quote name='espy605']I'd skip the open box plasma. Plasma's have issues over time (something about the phosphors dimming over prolonged use). Plus, they all have glass on the front, and I'm not a fan of glossy television displays. Plus it adds a ton to the weight.

I'm getting a refurbed Samsung from Amazon, and normally I wouldn't get a refurb, but you get the full Samsung warranty for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after talking to a few friends about buying an open box TV, I probably will not pick that option. I'm a risk taker and have bought open items before but they were from stores I could drive back too. That's a bit different risk from buying one online.

BTW, link me the refurbed Samsung your talking about.

[quote name='hardwo0d']I was looking at the Regza before I bought mky JVC back in December. I actually went to a Tiger Direct store (we have these in Miami) and saw the TV up close. They are a great value and you really do get a good picture, plus you are getting a good brand name. In y humble opinion, however, I believe that pound-for-pound and buck-for-buck you will never go wrong with a Samsung LCD, you may pay a little more now, but you will more than make that up with the great quality.[/QUOTE]

If I find a Samsung LCD in my price range I'll jump on it. I hope some more summer sales pop up. I'm going to Sam's Club tomorrow to do some more price watching.

This Regza I'm excited about though (despite I can't find a professional review). But I'm in no rush. I'll take my time and pick the best that suits me. And thanks for the interest.

[quote name='hardwo0d']How exactly is it cheaper at Overstock.com?
[/quote]

Because... You see....

::Throws glitter in hardwoods eyes and runs::

I'm surprised a lot of you didn't go through the Best Buy HDA route- got my 720p 42" LG LCD for $399.99, and covered it with a 4 year "$999 store credit back lemon policy" service plan for another $130. Sweetest tech I've sprung for in a while.

Do a price search on ANY tv model you might get... thats how when I was in the market for a kick ass 1080p tv I went and looked at the RPTV's, then narrowed it down from reviews and specs to either Sony and JVC, which depending on the reviews were almost equal. Price searches on both yielded the info that the jvc's were MUCH cheaper in comparison, did some more reasearch and price comparisons, got it shipped free and with no tax from a dealer with good reviews. The same tv at Best Buy would have ran me 600 extra when it was ON SALE, BEFORE taxes which here are 9%

To top it all off... on a whim I stopped by a local salvage shop... they had a stack of nice new stands which could accomodate my new tv... only paid 60 for it when I could have easily shelled out a few hundred for one...

For such an important purchase (something which will be used daily like a tv.).. best to overdo it with the reasearch

[quote name='espy605'] Plasma's have issues over time (something about the phosphors dimming over prolonged use). [/QUOTE]

Yes, Plasma does dim over time, but the half-life of new model plasma is around 60,000 hours. Which if you left the TV on for 24 hours a day, you would reach it in 6.8 years, meaning that the picture would be half as bright as it was the day you bought it. If you have more normal watching habits, you won't hit that point for 20 year (which you will have most likely replaced the TV)

Now as for recommendations, I really do like Vizio or Westinghouse (I have a WH 42" plasma in my living room) but Newegg is not the best place for either brand. I agree with the other posters who recommend Best Buy or local retailers, since not only can you return it easily and freely (I think Newegg charges a 15% restock) but you can set it up and evaluate it, with Newegg you can not allow the delivery guy to leave until you unbox it and check it (a clause in there white glove service).

[quote name='zman73']Do a price search on ANY tv model you might get... thats how when I was in the market for a kick ass 1080p tv I went and looked at the RPTV's, then narrowed it down from reviews and specs to either Sony and JVC, which depending on the reviews were almost equal. Price searches on both yielded the info that the jvc's were MUCH cheaper in comparison, did some more reasearch and price comparisons, got it shipped free and with no tax from a dealer with good reviews. The same tv at Best Buy would have ran me 600 extra when it was ON SALE, BEFORE taxes which here are 9%

For such an important purchase (something which will be used daily like a tv.).. best to overdo it with the reasearch[/QUOTE]

I'm slowly but surely going down this road. I did nothing today but search for TV deal and read reviews. But I'm doing it ass backwards from your way. I'm looking for the deal first, then looking up reviews to see if they're any good. This way ends in a lot of frustration. I've done a good amount to research since is threads begun (thanks again everyone for your help). But I have been off track at points (been doing research on how to get the best picture once I get the TV) and I need to keep my eye on the prize. I guess I start to start to do thing in the right order. ;)

P.S. link me that JVC you bought.

check out the reviews at avsforums. Pretty much every tv is reviewed.
I have a sharp 42" and love it but when I was looking for mine I was impressed with the vizios for the price

Yeah, I've been chating it up at the avsforums. Great guys over there. I've been looking up info on that LG Best Buy has on clearance right now and my #3 (which is still hard to get info, even on there). I was also surprised that the Insignia (BB's budget tv) has gotten some praise in it's thread. Made me think twice about it. I'm also happy that the people looking at the same models as me are like-minded. We expect great thing from these 1k 1080p tvs but know they can't be compared to a Sony or Samsung.

[quote name='controlcommerce']Yeah, I've been chating it up at the avsforums. Great guys over there. I've been looking up info on that LG Best Buy has on clearance right now and my #3 (which is still hard to get info, even on there). I was also surprised that the Insignia (BB's budget tv) has gotten some praise in it's thread. Made me think twice about it. I'm also happy that the people looking at the same models as me are like-minded. We expect great thing from these 1k 1080p tvs but know they can't be compared to a Sony or Samsung.[/quote]

I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'm begging you to go do your research. You forget that anyone can post an opinion on the internet (see: people who like Insignia or Westinghouse TVs).

My roommate and I spent about 3 weeks researching 2-3 hours a day to buy 2 plasma TVs and to this day, I know I got the very best TV at the best price for both the living room and the bed room. If you don't even know how long a plasma TV lasts (hint: it's not 60,000 hours in all cases), don't know which brands use which screens in LCD/Plasmas, and haven't once referenced an independent laboratory in your findings, how can you feel you're even close to buying a TV?

Like I said in my original post, I don't think you're close to buying a TV properly, but I will tell you this just so you know it's out there- I know exactly which TV I would buy for $1,000, and it hasn't come up once. Not. Even. Close.

You're going to spend $1,000 on a product without understanding it, and from what I understand from your posts, you can't possibly afford this purchase to fail. Do some work. Don't trust random internet forums. Get up and research. You'll feel more rewarded when you do.

I made this thread so people could help me. I've been researching for 2 days. You did 3 weeks, so let up if I'm not as sound as you. I ask for opinions. I ask for kindness too. If you know of a TV I should be interested in, let me know. Don't let your week 3 worth of work become selfish. And no, I'm not still no considering my first two TVs anymore. So even though little progress has been made in your eye, still progress has been made.

Edit: If I give myself 3 week like you said for research, I could also afford a costlier TV. Done. I'll give myself the time. Give me sites to read.

Go to your local library and look up either the Nov or Dec 07 Consumer Reports, and then look to see if any updated issues have been done with home theatre or flat-panel TVs. You'll find a lot of information about product reliability and brand quality there.

From there, do some Google-ish research on the difference between Plasma and LCD. Also pay attention to the date on any article you read. Some may be old enough to be outdated and give wrong information. The TL;DR of Plasma vs LCD- Plasma has a slightly better picture due to deeper blacks and is fine for action and moving images; LCD last longer, are better on power consumption, 1080p sets can be used for monitor substitutes, but you want 120hz for any sports or quick moving images.

Then check out CNET for their evaluations of the 08 plasmas if you haven't already, and then check out information about 720p vs 1080p, viewing distance, etc... It'll give you a lot to think about. Also check out Tom's Hardware as to why your decisions may change based on the fact that you will use this TV for gaming.

Do this on your free time. If you could work more hours and afford a better TV and that's important to you, then you should also understand that $1,000 is very important to you and you should do what it takes to make sure it isn't wasted.

Once you have your priorities straight on exactly what you're going to use the TV for and identify what size and type of TV you want, you can then start shopping. My advice is that if you're really under a budget, Vizio seems fine, but I'd be very careful about which specific set I bought. If premium brands are important to you, that Consumer Reports article should be of great help in deciding which brands are most reliable and still give a great picture.

After a few hours of research I have come to the conclusion that 720p is perfect for me. I want the TV for watching HD programming, gaming, Blue Ray movies and I'm going to be viewing from at least 8 feet away. I'm not going to get a TV over 50 inches or use it for a monitor. Thus it's pointless for me to spend that extra money for 1080p.

I have yet to fully study LDC vs plasma. Based on professional reviews I'm leaning toward plasma. Mainly because of it's small advantage on deeper blacks and colors in general. Also, 60,000 hours of life is find for me. That's going to last me over 5 years. I do need to do a lot more research to make a final decision.

I have yet to read Tom's Hardware, I'll check that out next.

Edit: This sounds like fun. I might try it. And if it turns out crappy, I'll only waste like $5.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

I want to post a link to this TV to see if I'm getting any better at pick a quality set out. Nothing is written in stone. Just a little test, I know I have a long way to go.

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/produ...4&zmam=8564958&zmas=1&zmac=83&zmap=SAMHPT4264

Cnet gave this a 8 out of 10 and PC world ranked this the 2nd top 42 inch TV (back in Sept of 07).
The only problem I see is that it's only 60 hz. I have not done enough reading yet to realize if this is a deal breaker or not. I'll get on that tomorrow. Please let me know the other flaws.

If you're looking at LCD, go to a store this weekend and ask to see a 60 hz TV in action. Most stores should be able to hook up a bluray or have some streaming sports footage for you to see. If movies are important to you, you need to make them show you something shot on film. Plasmas, as far as I know, still outperform 120hz LCDs. I don't know why that plasma you linked is rated at 60 hz.

There are tons of problems with seeing a set in store, mainly that most are on shared signals (even when they say they're not) and are set at unrealistic settings for home TV use. However, it's still a good method to see what you're actually going to buy before you buy it.

All right, I think I'm at the point where I can start to look for TVs and have a good idea what's good for me. I decided I do indeed want a plasma. Most LCDs (the good ones) have black levels just as good as plasmas. But Plasmas are still better at off-angle watching and the prices are much better overall. The burn-ins they experience are over exaggerated (All though, I did read a review on a plasma that burns after 5 mins of an image being on screen, stay away from that one!).

I was looking at the Panasonic TH-42PX80U. Which is Panasonic's new entry level plasma for spring 08. It can be compared to the Samsung I linked, spec and price wise. The only real difference I see between the two is the dynamic contrast ratio. Sam's is 15,000: 1, while Pana's is a moster 1,000,000: 1 (but the native contrast ratio is same at 15,000: 1). I'm a little confused. Could you tell me a bit more on the significants of this?

On sale for $999.98 at amazon (free shipping and tax free):
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vie...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206252049&sr=8-1

I heart isn't set on any TV yet. Their is just so many make and models out there. Even when I brake it down to a few brands, their's so many versions. Like I pick a set and ask myself, do I want the 4264 or 4254 verison? What's the difference? I go find that out. Is it worth the extra money? Then I pick a different make, then rinse, wash, and repeat. It's frustrating but I'll get the hang of it. I'm going to make a trip to the shops on Monday and see on of these babies in action.

[quote name='controlcommerce']All right, I think I'm at the point where I can start to look for TVs and have a good idea what's good for me. I decided I do indeed want a plasma. Most LCDs (the good ones) have black levels just as good as plasmas. But Plasmas are still better at off-angle watching and the prices are much better overall. The burn-ins they experience are over exaggerated (All though, I did read a review on a plasma that burns after 5 mins of an image being on screen, stay away from that one!).

I was looking at the Panasonic TH-42PX80U. Which is Panasonic's new entry level plasma for spring 08. It can be compared to the Samsung I linked, spec and price wise. The only real difference I see between the two is the dynamic contrast ratio. Sam's is 15,000: 1, while Pana's is a moster 1,000,000: 1 (but the native contrast ratio is same at 15,000: 1). I'm a little confused. Could you tell me a bit more on the significants of this?

On sale for $999.98 at amazon (free shipping and tax free):
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vie...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206252049&sr=8-1

I heart isn't set on any TV yet. Their is just so many make and models out there. Even when I brake it down to a few brands, their's so many versions. Like I pick a set and ask myself, do I want the 4264 or 4254 verison? What's the difference? I go find that out. Is it worth the extra money? Then I pick a different make, then rinse, wash, and repeat. It's frustrating but I'll get the hang of it. I'm going to make a trip to the shops on Monday and see on of these babies in action.[/quote]

The only difference between model numbers within a particular year (like these 08 models) is usually something like the number of HDMI inputs, PC input, etc...

The constrast ratio is always up for debate. Some say you cannot see above a 2,000:1 contrast ratio with the human eye. Others think it makes all the difference in the world, like how the Kuros have the best blacks and they're, generally speaking, the best TVs. Black levels are important, very important, in a plasma.

Overall, I like this call for a TV. The only thing that's immediately noticed when comparing Samsungs to Panasonics are the anti-burn in features available on a Samsung. They typically ahve a grey screen and scrolling bars available on a menu, whilist Panasonics would require you to play a zoomed in movie to achieve the same effect.

Getting that Panasonic for $999.99 shipped is a great deal. If that's the best price, I'd highly recommend. it

The MSRP on the TV is $1,200. A lot of places have it for sale but $999.99 shipped is by far the best deal. If I don't see another great deal for a TV at this quality in the next few days, I'm going to pull the trigger.

After reading Consumer Reports on Panasonic, I bit on this TV. Instead of getting it at Amazon I decided to purchase it at Best Buy. It was on sell for $1100.00 and used a 10% off coupon to shoot it down to $1060 after tax. On top of that, I'll get at least $40 back thanks to my rewards card. So that's about $20 more than buying online. So far I'm in love with the set.

Thank you Blinkman987 for being such a hard ass on me. I truly believe I picked out the right TV and it's all thanks to you. Peace.

bread's done
Back