Help me pick a good pair of Headphones

Yeah that's actually what got me going n the first place but I couldn't find any reviews. The noise canceling ones can be had for less than 30$ on Buy with GCO

hm...... I dk man are you gonna need the noise cancelling? the ones i posted someone said they were uncomfortable for long wearing.

why fed up with earbuds? what are you coming from. Im a shure e2 person but they just broke and im wondering what to do now? My gf has those bose ones but Im not a fan of the fit so whats up?

I recommended a few headphones for someone else on here a few weeks ago, so I'll just repost it as you have the same requirements he did. $50 range, headphones not buds. The poster went with the Panasonic phones, for your reference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IBRX4M
I bought this pair for my friend and she loves them. She'd been using stock iPod earbuds before this and when she switched to these headphones, it was so different that the new pair gave her a headache. These were that good for her. Granted, it'll be a different experience depending on your ears, so grain of salt and whatnot.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204616690&sr=1-1
The Koss phones might be a bit ugly, but they aren't slouches in the auditory department. They're backed by lifetime warranties and are affordable. Good phones, good quality and a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02RGMMV3R9P2CW70KS3D
Then we have the Sennheiser 202s, they're affordable and good sounding as well. They're pretty durable and are closed headphones, so they'll do a good job at keeping noise out.

But for just a little more, why not get a higher quality headphone, no? I present to you the Sennheiser HD-280s.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0C61SQ6YWJEQVES2TBWE

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...hones?sku=241473&CJAID=10383227&CJPID=1225267
Also, the Sennheiser HD515s are available here for $59 after discount. They're a nice set, and you're getting a great deal as they're typically $100.

So far, these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head within your budget. I'll post again if I can think of any more.

Sorry if I went a little overboard. I get unnaturally excited whenever anyone is in need of headphone shopping. I've owned most of these pairs with the exception of the 202s. My first pairs were the Sony MDR-500s, then the MDR-700s. I was fine until I listened to a friend's Sennheiser HD-580. Then it was over. I'm currently using the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pros and am in love..they're a bit pricier but just so comfortable and so great sounding.

Anyway, I'm going on a tangent. Sorry.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']why fed up with earbuds? what are you coming from. Im a shure e2 person but they just broke and im wondering what to do now? My gf has those bose ones but Im not a fan of the fit so whats up?[/QUOTE]

Shure's new black foamies are quite possible the most comfortable in-ear monitor fitting ever. I have a new found love for my e3cs becuase of them.

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Accessories/Sleeves/us_pa_pa910_black_foam

While I do prefer the sound from my Super.Fi 5 Pros, they can get uncomfortable after longer usage.

What is your price range?

Well, I have a pair of Razer m100 protones and some Phillips noise canceling ones. I mean the sound is damn good but my gripe is once you lose the little rubber tips, I can't find replacements and then they dont fit anymore.

After my experience with Koss, Bose, and Sony, I highly recommend Sennheiser, if you can find a middle range pair under $50 I think that will give you the best bang for the buck.

Anyways, maybe I am prejudiced because they are all I buy now, but after several brands I think, personaly, Sennheisers are the best value/sound quality.

I'd have to say that the HD280s are a good set of headphones for the price. I can't say that I'm a big fan of closed cans but they do sound pretty good for gaming. Amazon doesn't carry it right now but they used to have it on sale from time to time at ~$65-70.

Bose suffers from being overpriced and overrated. They're decent and all, but not nearly worth the premium you spend on the name. Sony headphones are a little pricy and that's mainly for the name, too. They make serviceable headphones, but to get your money's worth you could look elsewhere.
I used to think of Koss as a budget brand and looked down on them, but once I found out their history and gave them a try, I was glad to admit I was wrong. The portapro's are a good set of cans for a good price. Much more comfortable than you'd expect by looking at them and sound good and are easily driven by an mp3 player or cd player.
Sennheiser's are generally very good too, but have a slight tendency to being overrated themselves. But generally, they're gonna give you great quality and comfort. Many of their headphones have the velour earpads and you can just keep them on your head for hours. The HD-515 I linked to has velour earpads and I have to say they cup your ears comfortably and snugly.
But yea, of the more highly recommended headphone makers, Sennheiser is the most affordable with low (price-wise, not quality-wise) to high end phones. I'd much rather see you drop a little bit more money for phones with some durability and sound quality than to buy cheaper disposable headphones which will add up in the long run. I know, cause that's how I was before too. $50 here, $75 there and on and on. It all added up. So yeah, that's my two cents.

I've owned the first set of Philips headphones you showed, and I wouldn't bother with them. Sound quality was pretty atrocious and the fit was terrible. The earpads are vinyl and not pleasant to wear, and the cup is overall just too small for anything but small ears.

I've always been a fan of Beyerdynamic headphones, but they don't have much in your price range. You're probably best off going with the Sennheisers that others have recommended, or adding a bit more to your budget and trying to find a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 PROs (80 ohm) which are great for gaming.

Oh, and rhymenoceros, what amp are you using to drive your DT880s? I haven't found one that I LOVE yet, although I can tell the phones have potential.

The 280s are a good deal at that price, but Amazon's selling a refurbished pair for about 65 bucks with free shipping and 30 day return policy too. I've had good experiences with the refurbished I've got on there, so if you're willing to give them a try, I'd say go for it.
The Phillips headphones aren't really gonna be the greatest. I recommend not getting them.
They're currently going amp-less right now. They're very good still, but I know I haven't quite unlocked its whole potential, so I'm very excited about getting an amp for them. I'm considering going with the headroom Total Airhead. I've heard very good things about them and am hoping to get around to picking them up soon.

I was really hoping to pick up a pair for around 50 but the 280s do sound like the best option. Any chance of a price drop?

You can try prowling the eBay listings, they usually have them for decent prices most of the time. Apart from that, you can try waiting for the random sales they'll have. There was a sale a few months ago on them, so I'm sure if you're patient it might pop up again.
And honestly, dropping a little bit more money on the headphones instead of settling will make so much of a difference.

i was hoping under 60 but im willing to part with 100$. Initially i was willing to part with 100$ for the new shures and the boses. Thats why I was thinking the Sennheiser 300b for 46$ would be the best deal.

Im not a bass head but I like a clear sound. I have a JL w3 in my car but I bought it to clearly to clear out my speakers of bass. I really like not being able to hear anything while listening to my headphones so noise cancelling is wanted.

SORRY TO THREAD JACK BUT YOU GOT A LOT OF AUDIOPHILES IN HERE FOR SOME REASON.

EDIT-On ebay, they have those sennheiser 300 for like 20$, are they real? whats up with that? I know there old so could there be that much stockpiled somewhere?

[quote name='Chris Dillon']i was hoping under 60 but im willing to part with 100$. Initially i was willing to part with 100$ for the new shures and the boses. Thats why I was thinking the Sennheiser 300b for 46$ would be the best deal.

Im not a bass head but I like a clear sound. I have a JL w3 in my car but I bought it to clearly to clear out my speakers of bass. I really like not being able to hear anything while listening to my headphones so noise cancelling is wanted.

SORRY TO THREAD JACK BUT YOU GOT A LOT OF AUDIOPHILES IN HERE FOR SOME REASON.

EDIT-On ebay, they have those sennheiser 300 for like 20$, are they real? whats up with that? I know there old so could there be that much stockpiled somewhere?[/quote]

If you want isolation in your headphones, I'd highly recommend looking at either closed cans or earbuds as opposed to some of the "active noise cancelling" phones out there. You'll find the sound quality is much higher on a good pair of isolating phones than one that expends power trying to cancel noise.

My favorite isolating headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm (which may not quite suit your needs, they are fairly bass heavy but can be tamed with a nice, but expensive, modification) and Shure E2c or E3c. There are much higher end models out there, but none of these phones will break the bank and give good quality for the money you spend.

I'm not a big fan of them, but the Sennheiser HD280s retail for around $100 and many swear by them. One huge plus is that they fold up for travel, if that factors into your decision making process. I'd recommend listening before buying if possible, but if you don't need much bass they might do just fine.

I mainly listen to techno so Bass is real nice haha. Some stuff just sold on Amazon so I got some extra cash to work with now.

Im strictly wanting ear buds. I need these for walking around campus. It doesnt have to be noise isolation but give the effect. Thanks for the help though. Ill look into it. e2s are still so loved.

don't know if its been posted yet but as of 20 minutes ago woot has changed to the everglide headphones. I have the exact same model that I bought through woot last summer, and I think their great. Their pretty big, so if you were looking for small dinky headphones these are not for you, but they are comfortable. Even with glasses.

they are $25 shipped if you order them now... I recommend them, but if your deadset on the sennheiser then skip on these as the specs aren't quite as impressive... however I use them and think that they put out wonderful sound, especially for $25. Just somehting to think about, but remember you only have until midnight central time (or sooner if they sell out) to make a decision.

http://www.woot.com/

user comments on them:
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2185064

amazon specs and reviews (2):
http://www.amazon.com/Everglide-S500-Gaming-Headphones-EG04-04E022-02/dp/B000RHZAFG

techpowerup review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Everglide/s500

hope you find some of this information useful.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Im strictly wanting ear buds. I need these for walking around campus. It doesnt have to be noise isolation but give the effect. Thanks for the help though. Ill look into it. e2s are still so loved.[/quote]

Well, why don't you just get another pair of e2s? Unless you want to spend less. Then, you could do worse than the Sennies. Another option is the Sony Fontopias. They're pretty well regarded for in-ear buds. Other options if you're willing to pay a bit more are the Etymotics ER6i and the V-Moda Vibes. Both good in-ear phones too.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']Well, why don't you just get another pair of e2s? Unless you want to spend less. Then, you could do worse than the Sennies. Another option is the Sony Fontopias. They're pretty well regarded for in-ear buds. Other options if you're willing to pay a bit more are the Etymotics ER6i and the V-Moda Vibes. Both good in-ear phones too.[/quote]

Do worse then the sennies? thats a thumbs up right? I was just saying the Shure e2's still have so much love in the world. Also, those sonys im trying to avoid like the plague, i have heard they are bass crazy. Never checked out vmods before though.

Also, are these sennies cool on the bay? If so i may just purchase them for that price and just give them a go for 20$. If I don't like them they can become running in the rain earbuds for sure. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='triplehelix']don't know if its been posted yet but as of 20 minutes ago woot has changed to the everglide headphones. I have the exact same model that I bought through woot last summer, and I think their great. Their pretty big, so if you were looking for small dinky headphones these are not for you, but they are comfortable. Even with glasses.

they are $25 shipped if you order them now... I recommend them, but if your deadset on the sennheiser then skip on these as the specs aren't quite as impressive... however I use them and think that they put out wonderful sound, especially for $25. Just somehting to think about, but remember you only have until midnight central time (or sooner if they sell out) to make a decision.

http://www.woot.com/

user comments on them:
http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2185064

amazon specs and reviews (2):
http://www.amazon.com/Everglide-S500-Gaming-Headphones-EG04-04E022-02/dp/B000RHZAFG

techpowerup review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Everglide/s500

hope you find some of this information useful.[/quote]
Thanks, I just saw these on woot and came here to post about em. That last review pushed me over the edge and I bit. Thanks!

I'm an audiophile - I also have the gear to back it up. When it comes to headphones Sennheiser and Grado are the biggest contenders. I'm a sennheiser guy.

Do yourself a favor and check J&R music world for the best prices. I've spent thousands with them and no problems.

Sennheiser PX100 (I think that's the model). The PX100 are collapsable headphones, so they are easy to put in your bag or something. I'm somewhat of a sound quality aficionado / whore. IMO, those are the best head phones around $50. I would go with the Grado SR-80 (I think that's the model -- I am very lazy) if you want something around a $100 that's high quality. Grado and Sennheiser FTW!

The Grado SR60s can be had for around $60 to $70, but I couldn't wear them comfortably for long even though I did like the sound. The SR80s are good too, but they're a bit more expensive at nearer to $100 as opportunity said. Some brands worth looking at also are beyerdynamic, AKG, Denon, and Audio Technica. They all make some serious cans, but if you're serious about your music give them a look.

I'm not a huge fan of in-ear phones, but etymotics, shure, Livewires, and the two you mentioned are well regarded as well. I have issues with wearing them as they become too uncomfortable after long, but I'm really really interested in the Livewires. They may be my next pair...

Sub-$100 Grados aren't comfortable at all, but the sound is nice.

I like the Sony MDR-EX line of earbuds... the ones that look like earplugs. They won't win any audiophile awards, but they are comfortable, reasonably-priced, and play most of my music without overdriving one frequency range or another. And they've lasted pretty well, unlike most Sony stuff.

What do you guys think is the most confortable sub 100$, sub 80$ prefferred thats great sounding. I was hoping that was those ultimate ears but guess not.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']I'm not a huge fan of in-ear phones, but etymotics, shure, Livewires, and the two you mentioned are well regarded as well. I have issues with wearing them as they become too uncomfortable after long, but I'm really really interested in the Livewires. They may be my next pair...[/QUOTE]

IEMs can be extremely comfortable. You just have to find the right sleeves and the right fit. Foamies are a lot more comfortable than the rest. After prolonged listening periods, I don't even realize that I still have my E3s on.

[quote name='yamas']I'm actually planning on using mine mainly for listening to an MP3 player.[/QUOTE]
The obvious choice here is the Sennheiser PX100. It is absolutely amazing how good these sound for the measly price you will pay. They sound far better than the more expensive headphones I have tried. There are several sellers on Ebay who sell legit retail sets new in package for under $50. The headphones are light (have never, ever been uncomfortable even after many hours of use), foldable, come with their own plastic case, and, like I said, sound so amazing I couldn't believe it.

I have tried so many pairs of headphones, I feel stupid for not trying these sooner. I read about them on the Head-Fi forums. I have been using them for about a year now and bought several pairs for different purposes. The ones I use the most are the white version to go with my white iPod and MacBook.

I have personally tested the bass response down to 25hz and it is solid and clear. The highs are not tinny, nor weak, nor too strong. The frequency response is simply outstanding and balanced.

Get some Sennheiserrs.

I have no real rational reason to suggest this, I just love plugging them since their US Headquarters are located in my town. Right near Callaway Corvette, actually. Given the size of my town, I still find this amazing.

Or if you feel like selling a kidney you can try these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2236225,00.asp

But seriously though, try these. They're not for people who expect a LOT of bass, but they do the job and I think they do it quite well despite this review being 2 years old.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1863931,00.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/ultimate-ears-super-fi/4505-7877_7-31491515.html?tag=prod.txt.1

There's a review from cnet. They typically cost about $75 but my sister got them for $66 a while back.

bread's done
Back