Help me pick a summer job!

TJordan522

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (88%)
I am 19 years old and I just finished up my freshman year at the University of Delaware. I have been offered two summer jobs and I can't decide which to take! I suck at decisions so I would love to hear your opinions.

JOB 1:
Lot attendant at a Pontiac dealership. Duties include washing and detailing cars, moving cars, getting gas for the cars, etc.
The hours are Monday to Friday from 4:00PM-9:00 PM and Saturday from 9:00 AM-6:00 PM.
I would be making $8 an hour.

JOB 2:
Summer babysitter for two boys, ages 9 and 13. I would need to keep them entertained, drive them to camp, make them lunch, take them to the swim club, etc.
The hours are Tuesday to Friday from 7:30 AM-6:00 PM.
The pay is $7 an hour.

What to do????

I'd do the babysitter one, but I like kids and hate car dealerships.

When you say 'drive them to camp' does that mean some of the time you'd just drop them off at a camp where they become somebody else's problem for a good part of the day, but you are still getting paid?

[quote name='TJordan522']I am 19 years old and I just finished up my freshman year at the University of Delaware. I have been offered two summer jobs and I can't decide which to take! I suck at decisions so I would love to hear your opinions.

JOB 1:
Lot attendant at a Pontiac dealership. Duties include washing and detailing cars, moving cars, getting gas for the cars, etc.
The hours are Monday to Friday from 4:00PM-9:00 PM and Saturday from 9:00 AM-6:00 PM.
I would be making $8 an hour.

JOB 2:
Summer babysitter for two boys, ages 9 and 13. I would need to keep them entertained, drive them to camp, make them lunch, take them to the swim club, etc.
The hours are Tuesday to Friday from 7:30 AM-6:00 PM.
The pay is $7 an hour.

What to do????[/QUOTE]

tough call man...the babysitter gig makes more money but takes more time out of your day but you do get the night off...compared the pontiac thing which will make you less money but gives you more time. Is money a pressing need right now? i like kids so i would go with the babysitting job..if the boys are easy to handle and easy to take care. it just really depends on how much money you need in total at the end of summer and how much stress ytou want to put on yourself.

I'd say the Car Dealership one. Better pay, don't have to deal with kids, and even though you do work on Saturdays, you'll be out by 6pm.

I'd go with the babysitting gig.

You can play video games with them (a little GTA would be good), and then when you take them to the swim club there might be hot babes to hit up.

Do the babysitter gig. Tuesday - Friday? Free at 6 pm every day? Why aren't you there? Plus they're 9 and 13 so it's not like your gonna have to clean up diapers or anything. Just play some ps2 with them, make yourselves some PB and J, cart them around, and be on your way.

I think the babysitter job will work out very well. Kids are really fun, and you can probably treat them as if you're just hanging out with friends, so you can go bike riding, play video games, watch movies, get food, talk, play sports, etc.

I'd do the babysitting gig, too, cuz you'll make more since it's more than likely under the table, more hours, etc... Also, you have your nights free.

I'm surprised so many are saying babysitting. I say go with the car dealership, to much responsibility with kids especially when they're not yours.

Also the car lot you have a chance of moving up, and becoming a salesmen. Not in your first year but next summer you could work there again, and one day they might make you a salesman. So in your third year of college you could be making good money selling cars.

Don't think about just now, but also what the future could hold.

I'm also thinking that everyone that has said baby-sitting hasn't dealt with other people's kids. Yea your little brother or sister might be cool. But that doesn't mean that that 9 and 13 year old will be. They could be complete assholes, hate video games, and piss themselves. Get your foot in the real world and work the dealership.

babysit. if they dont have video games bring a system of yours over (one that if they break you wont murder them-acidents happen with kids). I would love to have a summer job like that. Bring Manhunt and Leisure Suit Larry and those little guys will think you are god.

Do the babysitting. A little King of Fighters, a few rpgs. Teaching the kids some of your wisdom.

Plus isn't babysitting usually under the table, so you don't lose any of it to taxes?

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']babysit. if they dont have video games bring a system of yours over (one that if they break you wont murder them-acidents happen with kids). I would love to have a summer job like that. Bring Manhunt and Leisure Suit Larry and those little guys will think you are god.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but if the parents find out he might get fired.

Car dealership. While you are out there watch the sales guys and pick up some stuff, possibly shadow one around for a day. I don't know what you plan on doing in life but sales skills are something that you can use in 90% of the jobs out there.

While car salesmen get a bad rap, they are usually some of the tougher sales people out there and know the sales cycle and market better than most. I'm in sales (not car sales, media advertising) and while I get annoyed at the 'typical' car sales man I do find them intriguing from a business standpoint and think it would be worth your time to at least watch or shadow them.

I can't believe anyone would say babysitting. I would say the car dealership, it's kinda fun to sit in all the new cars and drive them around for a bit, prolly in stuff you normally wouldn't be able to drive around in, that was the only good thing about being a car salesman for a while.

Take the kids and run.....I mean do the babysitter....Ummm. It's not very manly(assuming you're a man) but babysitting is pretty easy for any kid over the age of 6. By that age, most kids can entertain themselves and they actually have some decent things to say. Not as great of a chick magnet as a baby but kids are pretty damn close if they're cute enough

Parking cars sounds fun until it's 100 degrees and the sun's pounding down on that asphalt. Know how much it sucks to get into a car on a hot summer day? Multiply that times a hundred and you have your average summer day for a lot attendant.

Are you a 13-14 year old girl? If not take the job at the car dealership.

I had a friend that did the same thing for a car dealership and he loved it.

working food service will make you cherish any other job afterwards, so I suggest that. I bussed tables/washed dishes/waited/kitchen prep from about age 12-16 at a restaurant my family owned and I don't regret it. It's hard work, but good money, sometimes.

[quote name='Graystone']Also the car lot you have a chance of moving up, and becoming a salesmen. [/QUOTE]

If I were the OP this would have just sold me on doing the babysitting gig. :lol:

Yeah, there's something creepy about a 19 year old male "baby sitting". You're 19, get a man's job. You could even work in a warehose or some shit and get more money than either of those two jobs.

I'd go for babysitting, I hate kids but at least that is a more laid back job. Both are crappy jobs though for what they pay, I'd take JimmieMac's advice and find something else.

Baby sitting is a lot of fun, but I mean my summer job is pretty nice this summer. But if I didn't have that I would take the babysitting, under the table, summer camp, Weekends off! You can't go wrong.

[quote name='docvinh']I can't believe anyone would say babysitting. I would say the car dealership, it's kinda fun to sit in all the new cars and drive them around for a bit, prolly in stuff you normally wouldn't be able to drive around in, that was the only good thing about being a car salesman for a while.[/QUOTE]

its a pontiac dealership...besides the solstice..i wouldnt drive any of those abominations to man. have fun driving in a pontiac aztec..ewwww

LOL, thanks for the help guys! I've been going back and forth, and I eventually decided on the Pontiac job. Unfortunately for me, the guy who offered me the job was an idiot, and it turns out they don't need any more lot attendants (despite the fact that the ad is still running in the paper!). So, in the end, I guess it made the decision easier for me, and babysitting it is. And yes, I'm a 19 year old guy, and no, it isn't creepy haha. It should be a pretty easy job, but we'll see. Thanks again!

Let us know how it works out. You know, if the kids are brats or whatnot.

There's no shortage of advice on this board, haha...

bread's done
Back