Help me pick an hdtv

minqqq

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I know i know another hdtv thread, but there are alot of people on this board more knowledgeable than i am with HDTV's and i would like their input. i need an hdtv for school, and i've been taking a look at the phillips outlet store. i want one for 400 or less after tax+shipping. i want a tv that will at least run 1080i and i want the biggest screen i can get for my budget. so any other suggestions would be helpful. here are the ones i looked at the phillips outlet, anyone with HDTV knowledge let me know which one is the best for its price?

i like this one for the size at it's price
http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...00000000828BD472&scenario=catalog&shop=OUTLET

i'm leaning towards this one

are these good tv's in general? thanks guys.

I've heard horror stories about the Philips outlet store. I even have one of my own. I'll skip the details but 2 months later I was still without a TV and finally got my money back.

[quote name='Vegan']I've heard horror stories about the Philips outlet store. I even have one of my own. I'll skip the details but 2 months later I was still without a TV and finally got my money back.[/QUOTE]

Well that doesnt sound good. I might get that Panasonic 26" Widescreen everyone is talking about. Best part is I wont need to get a new Entertainment Center since this one will fit like a glove.

[quote name='Vegan']I've heard horror stories about the Philips outlet store. I even have one of my own. I'll skip the details but 2 months later I was still without a TV and finally got my money back.[/QUOTE]

does it not come with a warranty of guarantee of any sort?

[quote name='minqqq']does it not come with a warranty of guarantee of any sort?[/QUOTE]

What do you mean a warranty? He never got his TV after 2 months so they gave him his money back. Would you like to wait for 2 months and not get a TV? Thats his horror story.

[quote name='pimpinc333']What do you mean a warranty? He never got his TV after 2 months so they gave him his money back. Would you like to wait for 2 months and not get a TV? Thats his horror story.[/QUOTE]

whoa easy killer, i misinterpreted his statement. that does suck. anyone have a positive experience with the philips outlet?

im in the same situation as the fellas up above, except i can afford a little more...i dont want an lcd or anything flat but a flat tube would be nice because the big tv's seem to be to bulky for ontop of my cabinet...here are the ones i have been looking at recently

27" Samsung HDTV $549.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...32971/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

26" Panasonic HDTV $399.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-26-HDTV-
Monitor-CT-26WX15-/sem/rpsm/oid/123799/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Both TV's seem nice but the Samsung has gotten horrible reviews. The Panny is cheap but the big fat tube on the back is a turnoff, but it has gotten good reviews and has HDMI inputs. Speaking of which could anybody explain what HDMI is used for?

Some people have had good luck stories with Philips outlet but its really hit or miss. If I were you I'd definitely go with the 26" Panasonic. I picked up a 26" Samsung from Target for about $315 a couple months ago and I love it. Plus the Panasonic has HDMI inputs, which my Samsung doesn't have. The Samsung does have a built in HD tuner, which the Panasonic doesn't, but it really isn't a big deal since I have digital cable which includes the HD set top box anyway. 26" really isnt a bad size at all and there is a HUGE difference between standard TV and HD, well worth the investment IMO.

[quote name='gofishn']Some people have had good luck stories with Philips outlet but its really hit or miss. If I were you I'd definitely go with the 26" Panasonic. I picked up a 26" Samsung from Target for about $315 a couple months ago and I love it. Plus the Panasonic has HDMI inputs, which my Samsung doesn't have. The Samsung does have a built in HD tuner, which the Panasonic doesn't, but it really isn't a big deal since I have digital cable which includes the HD set top box anyway. 26" really isnt a bad size at all and there is a HUGE difference between standard TV and HD, well worth the investment IMO.[/QUOTE]

how'd you get the samsung for 315?

The TV was $699 and 50% off so that brought it down to $350, then I signed up for a Target credit card at the time which gave me another 10% off. Just paid the credit card off as soon as I got the bill and cut it up.

[quote name='rodeojones903']4:3 HDTVs are a waste of money IMO.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on how much 4:3 content you watch. TONS of games still mostly come out without 16:9 modes, and if you're set on just gaming, your money is better-spent on vertical space more than horizontal. Obviously with a wider set, you get more dimishing returns on vertical space.

That set, stretch mode distortion on 4:3 content is barely noticeable.

I myself looked at Philips, Sony , Hitachi, JVC, and a few others

I can only recommend Hitachi, I got a 57 wide screen and it is awesome, it replaced a 53 inch standard and it was a hitachi, the picture quality and all the features offered are second to none, with Sony you buy the name, and philips just isn't in the same league, so with an hitachi and you will not be sorry

[quote name='mdcross']I myself looked at Philips, Sony , Hitachi, JVC, and a few others

I can only recommend Hitachi, I got a 57 wide screen and it is awesome, it replaced a 53 inch standard and it was a hitachi, the picture quality and all the features offered are second to none, with Sony you buy the name, and philips just isn't in the same league, so with an hitachi and you will not be sorry[/QUOTE]

Hitachi? Ha. I rate the top three as Sony, Philips, and Toshiba. They are all the tops of my list. But you do save money by going with Hitachi so it isnt that bad.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Hitachi? Ha. I rate the top three as Sony, Philips, and Toshiba. They are all the tops of my list. But you do save money by going with Hitachi so it isnt that bad.[/QUOTE]

Hitachi is a great brand. You look them up on review sites and consumer reports they are going to rated higher than Phillips. You are not "saving money" when you buy Hitachi. Phillips is honestly pretty mediocre.

bread's done
Back