Help me pick an MP3 player! NO IPODS!!

jimbodan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
134 (100%)
I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED IN ANY IPOD. I don't like Apple and I refuse to get an IPOD, so please don't suggest one.

I'm starting my search for a good MP3 player and was hoping for some advice/deals. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a player that can also play video, but I'd like some opinions on how useful other people find the video playback feature. Also I'd like to fit most of my music collection on it, which is up to around 60gigs, so 40gigs is probably the minimum size, with 60 gigs being preferable. I don't use any on-line music service so I could care less about compatibility with those. All my music is in MP3 format and already ripped to my computer so I want something I can just drag my folders into. I'd mainly be using this at work and when I run, or on long trips. My budget right now is around $300-400, the cheaper the better as long as the player is good and meets my needs.

The player I've been looking at is the Creative Zen Vision:M, only problem with it is that it is only 30gigs and that simply isn't big enough. I have heard some rumors that they may anounce a 60gig version next month, anyone know if there is any truth to that rumor? Or can anyone recomend me a different player?

Just to re-iterate..... I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT INTERESTED IN ANY IPOD. I don't like Apple and I refuse to get an IPOD, so please don't suggest one.

if you are near a costco, most have 40 GB Toshiba Gigabeat at $147. Great deal for a great player, check out amazon.com for reviews

if you can still find one, the iriver h340 is the best 40 gb i can think of... i have the h320 and i love it

but seriously, the vision m is the best, i would buy it if i didnt already have an iriver

[quote name='Hunter55']if you can still find one, the iriver h340 is the best 40 gb i can think of... i have the h320 and i love it

but seriously, the vision m is the best, i would buy it if i didnt already have an iriver[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the iRiver H340 (which has been out of production for a while now) was a great player. I had this for about a year and a half until I upgraded to the Zen Vision M about two months ago. Both are great players.

Yeah, I really like what I've read and seen about the Vision:M, BUT it's only 30gigs and that just isn't enough, does anyone know if the rumors about a 60 gig version comming soon are true?

I really don't want any player under 40gigs, and I'd really prefer a 60gig player.

There's a 60 gig version but it's not the Vision:M. It's the Vision:W. It's more like the Creative Vision (PMP) but with a widescreen. Comes in 30 gig and 60 gig variants. I recomend the Cowon iAudio X5. They have 20,30, and 60 gig versions. Doesn't use the PlaysForShit module so you can use it on any OS.

might not be as much storage as your looking for but...

i really recommend the sandisk sansa e200 series, i personally own the e260. They are very compact(bout the size of nano, but thicker). they have a movie play back, support mp3/wav, and photo view. It can be sync with most programs(WMP 10, napster, etc), and it also has a drag and drop feature. so far i cant complain, the price was what really sold me on this mp3 player. for 179.99(CC sale a while back) i really dont understand why anybody would buy a nano.

When I purchased my iriver h320 ( a year ago) , I tested damn near every unit I could find. The iriver won HANDS DOWN. Don't play around - find an iriver and demo it. Any mp3 player that doesn't require me to install shitty software on my pc gets much love from me. Sennheiser earbuds included, more features than any crappy ipod...read up on them. Great players.

The Iriver looks nice too, but from what I can tell the 40 gig H340 looks like it doesn't have video playback, is that correct?

[quote name='jimbodan']The Iriver looks nice too, but from what I can tell the 40 gig H340 looks like it doesn't have video playback, is that correct?[/QUOTE]

If you flash it with International or Korean firmware, it enables video playback. It's just not on the US firmware.

[quote name='orochi']If you flash it with International or Korean firmware, it enables video playback. It's just not on the US firmware.[/quote]I believe the US firmware eventually included that feature, though I think Rockbox does it now as well.

Speaking of which, if you get an iriver MP3 player, you MUST use Rockbox. It's an open source firmware alternative. It makes the player much more appealing.

To quote myself when I was looking for 60GB MP3 player earlier this year.
[quote name='headpiece747']I have been researching for a new MP3 because I outgrew my 20GB Dell DJ first gen. I want the same because I always buy music online and cds. Anyways the here are my picks so far:

iAudio X5 60GB has a USB host that can be used for digital cameras and my PSP
(Newegg has the best price link above)

Toshiba F Gigabeat 60GB but wait for the S to come out and it will drop even more
(Amazon had the best price last time I checked)

Neuros 80GB has a built in FM transmitter and Flash player included. Only downside it sounds like a mixbag some people says it good and some say its awful.
(www.neurosaudio.com has the best price for $249.00)

Mustek PVR-H160 60GB can't recommend because I can't one single review. Archos is overpriced but go up to 100GB. Creative Zen 60GB is the old one and looks that way. Wolverine MVP-9060 60GB the hot red cover scares me.

Out of all of them Toshiba is the only with Windows Playforsure so it is the only one compatible most online stores except for eMusic.com that uses MP3 and no DRM. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Check out the 60GB Toshiba S Gigabeat it looks better, has video playback and is capable with most subscription and pay to download services (except iCrap=iTunes Store of course) if you ever want to get into it.

I'm not familiar with MP3 players anymore, but I know some can be opened up and can have their capacity doubled or tripled, if you're not too afraid of that stuff. I'd personally never risk destroying the player, but I know it can be done.

Hmm looks like my only real option for a 60gig player that plays videos is the gigabeat. What do people that have video playback on their players think of it? Is it something you use a lot or is it something that never gets used?

or just get an ipod.......i know someone already said it, but, what do you have against them that makes you not like apple products.....i recently made the switch from PC to Mac, and I have to say, i will never buy another PC in my life.....hands down the MacBook Pro is the best computer i have ever owned....

I kinda felt that since everyone was trying to make an "I-Pod Killer" rather than researching every single one, I'd just buy the thing they were all trying to compare themselves to :)

[quote name='jimbodan']Hmm looks like my only real option for a 60gig player that plays videos is the gigabeat. What do people that have video playback on their players think of it? Is it something you use a lot or is it something that never gets used?[/quote]First, you can buy an iriver H340 and swap in a 60gig drive. Problem is that's frickin' expensive, so I don't recommend it one bit.

However, I can recommend every other part of the H340. Though I didn't use the video playback much, I did have the option and it seemed to work rather well. You had to convert videos to rather strict formats and requirements, but even still it looked pretty good and the conversion process was easy.

[quote name='aahhhh']i'm in the same boat as you. my 40 gig creative mp3 player just broke, and i got my money refunded. i want to get something 40 gigs +, but there arent many choices.

i'm hoping this article is true. and the 60gb zen vision: m is coming next month

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/22/creative-zen-vision-m-due-for-60gb-upgrade-next-month/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the article where I first saw the rumor. It pretty much looks like it's either go with the Gigabeat, which has some battery life issues and so-so video playback, or else wait and hope the 60gb zen comes out soon. Only other option is for me to just scrap the idea of video playback altogether.

Don't fool yourself into hopeing to find something lightyears ahead of the iPod. There has never been an iPod Killer yet, and most companies are behind apple's tecnology.

[quote name='JackFlash666']Don't fool yourself into hopeing to find something lightyears ahead of the iPod. There has never been an iPod Killer yet, and most companies are behind apple's tecnology.[/QUOTE]

Not true at all, both the gigabeat and zen vision:m are better.

i have only owned / used an ipod.....but, before you say a no-name brand is better than an ipod, or before i say an ipod is better than a no-name brand, i have to asked if you have owned and used both (not just tried someones or used one in a store for a few minutes)....Actually Owned Both???

if you havent owned both, then you cannot say one is better or worse than the other.......

[quote name='JackFlash666']Don't fool yourself into hopeing to find something lightyears ahead of the iPod. There has never been an iPod Killer yet, and most companies are behind apple's tecnology.[/QUOTE]

what has apple got besides aesthetics?

not trying to fan the flames or anything, i just wanna know why you think its so good.

don't know if someone suggested this but archos has some pretty good mp3 players that play video as well.

If you can find the gmini400, there are gameboy/nes emulators for it. I think they discontinued the 400 and replaced it with the 402 now though.

Hey, I also looking for a new MP3 player.

I like my walkman, but I just need more storage, like at least 8-10GB, or more...

But the thing I absolutely love about my walkman is it's durability. It has been fallen on, rolled over, smashed, stepped on, dropped, thrown, and taken pretty much every other form of bicycle related abuse an object can take and it still works. It's not even fucking scratched, seriously.

Is there a higher capacity player that can both hold all of my songs and take my abuse? Plus a screen that can be easily read outside is a plus (the walkman's screen is kind of hard to read in th sunlight).

Also, is Sonicstage compatable with non-Atrac mp3 players? And if not, is there a way to export all of my ripped music as mp3 files?

Wait for the Microsoft one. I don't know what it's called, but G4 keeps reffering to it as the "iPod killer". I wish I had waited for one of those.

The "MS" one is called the Zune, and frankly, it looks like an ugly mess right now. It's being made by Toshiba and supposedly out around X-mas.

[quote name='tholly']i have only owned / used an ipod.....but, before you say a no-name brand is better than an ipod, or before i say an ipod is better than a no-name brand, i have to asked if you have owned and used both (not just tried someones or used one in a store for a few minutes)....Actually Owned Both???

if you havent owned both, then you cannot say one is better or worse than the other.......[/QUOTE]

I've owned a ton of mp3 players and Apple really isn't my favorites out of the bunch. It's certainly something the other players aim to topple but at this point, it's pretty close to just paying extra for looks + branding. A lot of other players offer more for the money. Sure, some isn't as nice looking or as small but I like video playback that supports more than just quicktime. Personally, I hate quicktime as a format altogether. I love the Cowon stuff cause they don't require software to connect them to a computer. UMS is great for that. It supports xvid/divx (if it does video that is), ogg, mp3, and a multitude of others. Then there's the FM tuner + recorder, etc. Looks is nice... but being a CAGer, I'm going for bang for the buck and Apple is pretty close to bottom rung for me in that department.

[quote name='jimbodan']Yeah, that's the article where I first saw the rumor. It pretty much looks like it's either go with the Gigabeat, which has some battery life issues and so-so video playback, or else wait and hope the 60gb zen comes out soon. Only other option is for me to just scrap the idea of video playback altogether.[/QUOTE]

Not a rumor anymore. http://www.epizenter.net/comment.php?comment.news.185

But there's no indication of US release. All the info so far is for Singapore and the US site doesn't have anything about it even now.

I've got an Inoi (I know, I had never heard of them before either) 20gig MP3 player a few months ago for $100. It's nice looking and plays music beautifully. I've got a few friend with iPods, and they have all asked if I've wanted to trade with them. The best part is that you can put regular mp3's on them with no stupid DRM issues.

Now that the 60 gig Zen Vision M is confirmed (in Singapore at least) I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm going to wait for, no other 60 gig video player really seems to match up at the moment.

One more question I should probably ask before I buy a hard drive based player is, will it skip when I take it running or will I screw it up from running with it?

[quote name='bdgskarulz']LOL. I don't like Apple. Thats like saying I don't like chocolate. Silly.[/quote]

I dont like Apple either and I prefer Vanilla Ice Cream over Chocolate Ice Cream. So...Its not so silly.

[quote name='Xevious']I dont like Apple either and I prefer Vanilla Ice Cream over Chocolate Ice Cream. So...Its not so silly.[/QUOTE]

What is silly is stating that something is better when you've not tried either thing.

I'm really loving my iAudio X5 that I got back in May. It's my first player so I don't really have a lot of experience in general, but I'll run down the positives and negatives:

+ 60 GB capacity
+ shows up as a hard drive when connected to computer, so you can just drag files in explorer without any extra software
+ uses a four-direction "knob" for navigation, which I like since you can just leave it in your pocket and still operate it
+ built-in microphone
+ FM radio
+ can record MP3 directly from onboard radio, microphone, or line input
+ like most other players these days, extra space can be used as a portable hard drive to store any type of file
+ support for Rockbox firmware

- has video playback, but files need to be converted first
- annoying "sub-pack" dongle is used to connect USB, AC Adaptor, line-in, and line-out. When the dongle is not connected, only the headphone jack is available. This was done for the sake of a "streamlined design," I guess.
- you have to mail it back to the company to get the battery changed
- can't operate the player when USB is hooked up to a computer (basically it just turns into a hard drive when you connect it)

It's worth a look... right now it's $329 at NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603828

your going to buy the one that i was deciding between, i was either gonna get it, or the wolverine mvp, and after looking into the features, i discovered that the mvp better suits my needs and i bought it and am completely happy, its an awsome player that you should consider

Two comments, if I may:

One: Nobody exercises with a HD based player, because they're heavy and eventually you'll break it. Thats why they make flash based players. No moving parts. That hard drive player is going to bounce and move around, because they aren't exactly *light*, and eventually...you'll hate it. Try jogging with a digital camera in your pocket somewhere, same feeling.

Two: Who the *fuck* needs to take all 40 to 60 gigs of their *music* library with them at ALL times..?? Those 60 gig units aren't just for music, they're for video, which I consider useless if you've ever tried it.

If you absolutely must carry ALL of your music around with you at a moments notice, then get whatever player that has the capacity to hold all that music (and pray it doesn't die and you have to re-load all 40 or 60 gigs), then get a cheap 1 gig unit for running and rotate your song list.

Here is my opinion. I have owned a few MP3 Players.

Toshiba Gigabeat S (60GB)
Cons: Volume is WAY TOO LOW! I tried many things to bring the volume up like converting files to a higher Bitrate and Volume Boosters but nothing ever worked. Video files need to be .wmv. Had a lot of trouble working with the Tags in WMP, and NO ACCESSORIES to buy for it.
Pros: Looks Nice, Solid Design, Bright Screen, Great ammount of Storage Space, and it's Nice and Slim.

IPOD Video (60GB)
Cons: Smallish Screen. Only Plays MPEG-4 Videos. Case and Screen Scratches Easily. You look like everyone else on the street. I had two of them brake on my within one year and I am was cautious with them both.
Pros: Sounds Great. Controls are almost second nature over time. Bright Screen. So much software/accessories/firmwares you can use it's crazy. Larger 80GB Model has lots of space. Itunes is easy to use.

Microsoft Zune (30GB)
Cons: Larger than most current MP3 Players, Converting Videos is pretty difficult since it only plays WMV and will convert certain AVI with the zune software that most of the time becomes out of sync with the audio. Bloated Zune Software, cannot play music/videos on your pc from the Zune when connected. Only 30GB (for now).
Pros: It sounds really good. It is very sturdy and durable. Large Bright Screen. Nice, easy to use controls. FM Radio Reciever Built in. If you want to add an 80GB Drive you can do it yourself or send it to a company who can do it for you. Nice ammount of Accessories to get.

My current MP3 Player is the MS Zune (Brown). My favorite was the IPOD but I cannot stand the thing breaking and HD problems. I have had my Zune for 5 Months Now with NO PROBLEMS! So I choose you ZUNE!

[quote name='JackFlash666']Don't fool yourself into hopeing to find something lightyears ahead of the iPod. There has never been an iPod Killer yet, and most companies are behind apple's tecnology.[/quote]

Please, iPods are just for the people who want to pay a premium price for a name.

bread's done
Back