Help me value my laptop?

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
Sorry if this isn't the best forum...move if needed.

So I am getting rid of my older laptop, but I am having a tough time figuring out an asking price...most likely will list on craigslist.

I'd say its about 2.5 years old. No cracks/dings. A few small blemishes here and there, but overall its in good condition. I also gave it a nice bath.

Anyway, specs:

Gateway/Emachines
Mobile AMD Semprom Processor 2800+,1600 Mhz
60GB HDD
1GB RAM
15" screen
DVDrom/cd burner
New fresh install of windows vista basic along with cd/key
Weighs about 5lbs fairly slim
SD card slot, usb slots etc
VGA out

I am thinking around 250...yeah? Thanks Cags!

0127081710bg7.jpg

I would list for more than that, unless you really need money now. And I would leave out sempron, just say 1.6mhz. Of course, tell if asked, but no need to say you have an older processor.

I would say $300 maybe even $350.
Altho, does vista run ok on it? 1gb seems fairly low.

[quote name='vherub']I would list for more than that, unless you really need money now. And I would leave out sempron, just say 1.6mhz. Of course, tell if asked, but no need to say you have an older processor.

I would say $300 maybe even $350.
Altho, does vista run ok on it? 1gb seems fairly low.[/quote]

1gb seems to be okay...haven't really messed with it though. Thanks for the tips and insight.

$250-$300 sounds about right. Laptops are cheap these days, so I would respectfully disagree with the other poster's advice about going to $350.

It looks clean, though, so you should be able to sell it easily. Good luck!

I would actually say around $400-$500. A lot of people want a laptop, so you could start up there and work your way down if it doesn't work out. That way, you won't get shortchanged in the long run.

I would say that going with $350 is a good price point to start with. This way you have some room to haggle with the price. I've never talked to anyone on craigslist that didn't want to pay less than was posted. I wouldn't go over that price considering most companies are selling notebooks that start out at about $400 on up. Also, does it come with any other software (Office, Antivirus, etc.)? If so, make sure to point this out so that it can help you sell it a little faster. If not, install AVG, Zonealarm, and Spybot S&D so that they have some sort of protection when they get the computer. Hopefully this helps a little. If you have any other questions PM me.

[quote name='vherub']And I would leave out sempron, just say 1.6mhz. Of course, tell if asked, but no need to say you have an older processor.

[/QUOTE]

Leaving it out is just the same as lying about it. Why try to trick people into buying something older? I wont be buying anything from you any time soon, thats for sure.

I sold my 3 year old 700m for $400 recently. List it for at least $400 and see what kind of offers you get. There is no problem in listing things again at a lower price. Just let people be happy and negotiate the price down.

I would stick with your idea of $250 or less. Every week there is some deal at BB or CC for a laptop for $400 I think that most folks won't look twice at a used machine on craigslist for the same price no matter the specs.

As others have said, if you're posting on Craigslist, start high. That will give you some wiggle room. You'd be amazed at how well that works. People will almost always haggle down, but by starting high, uninformed people will often haggle down to the price you actually want to sell it at.

Seeing as you originally thought $250, you might end up being pleasantly surprised. The cheapest laptop will find online is usually regulared price at around $500 and has similar specs (Sempron or Celeron processor with 512MB or 1GB of RAM). You can sometimes find super cheap laptops on clearance at big boxes, but that isn't always a sure thing. If someone is in really desperate need/want of a laptop and want to avoid paying $500 + tax, you might be able to walk off with $300+ cash in your hand. It always amazes me how willing people are to buy used stuff just to save a few bucks.

I'd say ask for $350 and wait for offers. The computer, especially with a fresh install of Vista should be worth about $300-$325ish. Not less. If it doesn't sell, just keep lowering the price.

[quote name='00silvergt']LOL Vista? That may actually devaluated the item. J/k, well maybe not. $250-300 is acceptable. Good luck.[/quote]

Haha, I know what you mean.

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill start a 350.

(oops, didn't read). Anyway, you should be able to charge extra since your including the disc. Even if they don't like the computer, the disc is still worth some money(they can use it to install vista on another computer. At least i think so) , so i think you can charge more money for that. $300-350 seems right.

Doesn't look like a bad laptop at all(except i don't like the look. But that's just me)

bread's done
Back