Help me with my PS3 audio setup please.

haize

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok so i recently bought a PS3 black friday bundle. I have the PS3 hooked up to my 28 inch Dell widescreen monitor using a DVI to HDMI cable.

The sound is currently running to a cheap pair of PC speakers via a component audio to 3.5mm headphone plug adapter.

I have a Klipsch 5.1 Promedia speaker set and i would love to hook the PS3 upto it. Thing is im not really sure how to do it, im assuming i would want to use the optical sound port on the back of the ps3 though...

The inputs for the promedia are three 3.5mm stereo headphone plugs, one for the center/sub, one for the front left and right, and one for the rear left and right.

How do i use he optical out and convert it to work with the 5.1 speaker set? and how can i do this in a cheap cag fashion?

links for cable or hardware i'd need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

my computer does not have an optical input and i am not running the speakers through my computer. I want the speakers hooked directly upto my PS3

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for true 5.1 sound wouldn't you need a receiving device with either an optical or hdmi input on it?

It sounds like you have the Klipsch bundle that has this for inputs:
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/36-119-106-S08?$S640W$

Ooops, ignore this before I edited. I think those are audio coaxial inputs, but I'm not sure if there is an adapter that breaks it down into Front R/L and Rear R/L (and Center?)

But to be honest, no matter what, you're probably best off picking up a cheap 5.1 receiver that has an optical in port on it. Here's a Sony for ~$150 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH500-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B001TOZTCA/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Maybe someone can recommend a cheaper solution, but true surround sound enhances the experience so much that $150 really is on the cheap side. (Especially since everyone under the sun will recommend Onkyo receivers) Just my two cents.

By the way, I grabbed some Klipsch speakers on clearance from BestBuy for $30 for my PC and I'm amazed with the sound they put out (for the price). Klipsch = good stuff in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='QiG']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for true 5.1 sound wouldn't you need a receiving device with either an optical or hdmi input on it?

It sounds like you have the Klipsch bundle that has this for inputs:
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/36-119-106-S08?$S640W$

Ooops, ignore this before I edited. I think those are audio coaxial inputs, but I'm not sure if there is an adapter that breaks it down into Front R/L and Rear R/L (and Center?)

But to be honest, no matter what, you're probably best off picking up a cheap 5.1 receiver that has an optical in port on it. Here's a Sony for ~$150 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH500-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B001TOZTCA/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Maybe someone can recommend a cheaper solution, but true surround sound enhances the experience so much that $150 really is on the cheap side. (Especially since everyone under the sun will recommend Onkyo receivers) Just my two cents.

By the way, I grabbed some Klipsch speakers on clearance from BestBuy for $30 for my PC and I'm amazed with the sound they put out (for the price). Klipsch = good stuff in my book.[/QUOTE]

oh thank you so much this is just the answer i was looking for. I've had my Klipsch's since 2002 and they are just such good speakers, i swear by them. I knew i was going to need a decoder or some sort since im basically transferring a digital signal to an analog signal AND trying to keep the 5.1 sound.

If i picked up that reciever id just buy 3 male component to 3.5mm headphone analog female adapters and volia i'd be good to go.

Now to see if i can find a reciever like that cheaper than $150 lol

[quote name='haize']oh thank you so much this is just the answer i was looking for. I've had my Klipsch's since 2002 and they are just such good speakers, i swear by them. I knew i was going to need a decoder or some sort since im basically transferring a digital signal to an analog signal AND trying to keep the 5.1 sound.

If i picked up that reciever id just buy 3 male component to 3.5mm headphone analog female adapters and volia i'd be good to go.

Now to see if i can find a reciever like that cheaper than $150 lol[/QUOTE]

No, if you went the receiver route you'd run an optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver and then you'd wire all the speakers to the receiver rather than the inputs on the back of the sub. So you'd need an optical cable and a cable connecting the sub output on the receiver to the sub input on the back of the sub; and I'm still thinking it's an audio coaxial rather than 3.5mm because that just sounds odd to me. Do you have an extra RCA cable (those are the cords with the red/white/yellow plugs) and a 3.5mm headphone type wire to test that out with?

Hopefully I'm doing more help than damage here ;) You can definitely do better than $150, but the features you'd want to make sure it had are an optical input and 5.1 speaker outputs.

I myself use an Onkyo HT160 but you don't need to spend so much to enjoy your PS3. I took a look over at Techbargains.com and that Sony is on sale at Crutchfield:

Sony STR-DG520 5.1ch 90W/ch Home Theater Receiver w/ HDMI $109.99, Dec. 14 4 PM
12608259328073_w75.jpeg

Crutchfield has the Sony STR-DG520 5.1ch 90W/ch Home Theater Receiver w/ HDMI Switching (2-in, 1-out) for $109.99 after $20 off Coupon Code: 3A825 (Ongoing). $10.99 Shipping. Tax in VA only

[quote name='haize']actually i found: http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Audio-Rush-5...tZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item3a550ad0b6

which i think is EXACTLY what i need.[/QUOTE]

For just a bit more, you could find a decent A/V receiver.

Check this out...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DG52...=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1261022828&sr=1-33

It's by no means a top of the line system, but it should give you everything (and more) that you're looking for. A good a/v receiver is a wise investment... especially with all the advancements in audio and video technology over the past 5 years.

bread's done
Back