help me with SNES rpg

erectiontown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I rented a SNES rpg when i was much younger (10 or so), and i remember it being very very awesome, but i have absolutely no idea what it was. I don't have much to work with, because that was more than 15 years ago, but all i remember is that a part took place on a large ship and there may have been pirates. It's not a FF game, that's for sure. I'm wondering if it's Illusion of Gaia, but i'm not sure at all.

does that sound familiar to anyone?

It could be Illusion of Gaia. There is a scene where you're on a ship near the begining. If I remember correctly something happens to the ship, your character and some Princess get stranded on a tiny raft.

How was the battle system? Was it turn-based like FF, or more like Zelda?

[quote name='Rodimus']It could be Illusion of Gaia. There is a scene where you're on a ship near the begining. If I remember correctly something happens to the ship, your character and some Princess get stranded on a tiny raft.

How was the battle system? Was it turn-based like FF, or more like Zelda?[/quote]
I think it was more FF-like, because i remember multiple characters/party, not just a single character like in zelda. i could be wrong though. If the ship part was at the beginning, that bodes well for Gaia, since i probably didn't get to play for more than a few hours

This is going to drive me nuts now that you've got me thinking about it. There were so many great RPGs for that system I played when I was a kid, but like you my memories are pretty cloudy.

Let us know if you remember anything else.

Ok, here's a list of SNES RPGs. I have already taken the liberty of eliminating ones that shouldn't be considered candidates (Final Fantasy, Zelda).

7th Saga
Arcana
Breath of Fire 1
Breath of Fire 2
Dungeon Master
Earthbound (Mother 2)
Estopolis 1 (Lufia & the Fortress of Doom)
Estopolis 2 (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)
Eye of the Beholder
Lagoon
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom (Estopolis 1)
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals (Estopolis 2)
Might & Magic 3: Isles of Terra
Paladin's Quest
Robotrek
Romancing Saga 3
Secret of the Stars
Soul Blazer
Soul Blazer 2 (Illusion of Gaia) (Illusion of Time)
Soul Blazer 3 (Terranigma)
Terranigma (Soul Blazer 3)
Ultima 6: The False Prophet
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2
Uncharted Waters
Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons
Wizardry 5: Heart of the Maelstrom

I'm guessing it's not an Ultima or Wizardry. Uncharted can probably be eliminated, as well as (most likely) the Soul Blazer/Terranigma series. Doubt it's Lagoon or the Lufia/Estopolis series. Can probably knock out Robotrek (it being in space with robots). Might and Magic is out. Probably not Eye of the Beholder, Earthbound, or Breath of Fire. I'd throw out 7th Saga and Arcana also.

That just leaves:
Secret of the Stars
Romancing Saga 3
Paladin's Quest
Dungeon Master

Could it be Secret of the Stars? Video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vLVu-Fve4

Or Paladin's Quest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdXmCmYnrDI&feature=related

Also, "erectiontown." Heh.

Naw, it's Illusion of Gaia.

There was more than one character to your party, but you went through the dungeons by yourself, a la Legend of Zelda. I believe the scene in question was only a couple of hours in, so it kinda was towards the beginning.

If you liked that game, go through and play the series: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma :applause:, and Granstream Saga (PS1). Each game was great in its own right, but Terranigma was the best.​

thanks for the help guys, i'm leaning towards Illusion, but i'm not entirely sold. I'll boot it up and see it if all comes crashing back

[quote name='erectiontown']thanks for the help guys, i'm leaning towards Illusion, but i'm not entirely sold. I'll boot it up and see it if all comes crashing back[/QUOTE]

If you are certain the battles are turned based like FF then it definitely isn't Illusion of Gaia since the battles in that game were real time action.

The first thing I thought of was FF2 because the opening scene is on the airship but I guess you are sure it isn't that.

That scene where they r drifting is probably as far as i got in that game. not really my type of game.
On the other hand terranigma, was awesome.
There was another game, where you could choose between seven or nine characters, then you selected 2 partners,and depending who you chose the you had different stories to follow. Some of the characters types were: werewolf; valkyria; thief; sorceress; priest.... and dont recall the others. then you would reach a stone, where you could change their appereance and types to something more advanced, like: Death hand; monk or assassin. Secret of mana comes to my mind, but thats not the game im talking about. You also had to collect stuff for magic because the sorceress wasnt able to use magic., like:dark, light, wind, earth. I think the bad guy name is Koren. Found it, i think its seiken densetsu 3. Now i know why secret of mana came to my mind, its seiken densetdu 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_(series)
lol, thanks

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If you are certain the battles are turned based like FF then it definitely isn't Illusion of Gaia since the battles in that game were real time action.

The first thing I thought of was FF2 because the opening scene is on the airship but I guess you are sure it isn't that.[/quote]
i'm not sure that it was turned based, i think i'm just assuming that since i remember there being a bunch of characters and a party. it's not any FF, since i've played all of those in my "adult" life.

What about Secret of Mana? The last levels are on a flying fortress. It is a lot like Zelda but there are two extra characters that could be controlled by other players (you needed the multitap to play more than two characters)

Secrets of Evermore... that was an awesome game with a pretty interesting magic system. For the longest time I thought there was a connection between the Secrets of Mana series and the Secrets of Evermore, setting/mythology wise.

In any case, if you guys like Terranigma or Illusions, and especially if you're found of Secret of Mana, then check out Secret of Evermore.

And yeah, you did start out in a space station in Evermore, before being unceremoniously dumped to the "surface".

[quote name='punkmaggit']Naw, it's Illusion of Gaia.

There was more than one character to your party, but you went through the dungeons by yourself, a la Legend of Zelda. I believe the scene in question was only a couple of hours in, so it kinda was towards the beginning.

If you liked that game, go through and play the series: Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma :applause:, and Granstream Saga (PS1). Each game was great in its own right, but Terranigma was the best.​
[/QUOTE]

Granstream Saga is considered part of that series? How? I remember it being so bad I just gave up on playing it. Like a lot of developers trying to transition to 3D in 90s, they had no idea what they were doing.

bread's done
Back