Help! My DVD drive won't read anything!

PhaperPlane

CAGiversary!
So today I found out after trying to watch Star Trek on my computer, it won't read it. So I cleaned the disc and tried again but no dice. So I tried another film and it didn't work. I checked if there were any updates available for it, turns out there wasn't. So I thought a reboot might fix it but still, my DVD drive refuses to read anything.
So basically:
Films, Games and CDs are unreadable by my DVD drive, I've tried everything I can think of.
Oh and the DVD drive I have is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223F ATA. Under the control panel, it says my DVD drive is set to Region 1, but since I live in the UK my preferred region for films etc is region 2. I've had my PC for almost 2 years and everything else is in working order.

Any CAGs got any advice to share?

I would uninstall the driver, then reinstall the latest driver and/or have Window recognize it.

Then try another CD/DVD.

sometimes it's dirty or the lens isn't focused. I've "burned" through alot of drives like that. mostly dusty drives.

I have a cleaning disk but it doesn't always work.

Just buy a new drive. they are only $20.

Most likely the dvd lens is dirty or the dvd itself is dirty. Get a dvd player cleaner or get a new drive as suggested above.

Try this. Download a free copy of Linux. There are many free builds to choose from (use Google)
Make sure it is a LIVE CD so that you can boot directly off a CD or DVD.

Then, pop in a disc with files on it and see if it starts to work. use an audio CD or a CD with Mp3's.
If it works, there there is something bad in windows.

If it still does not work, buy a new DVD/CD rom. They are only $20 - $35 with free shipping from most online stores like Amazon and Newegg.com

Good luck...

Hey everyone, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drive and it still doesn't work. I guess I'm going to buy a new drive. :/ Thanks for all the advice! :)

bread's done
Back