Help! Need a specific Blu-Ray player

hardwo0d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Okay, so I need to help one of my students purcahse a Blu-Ray player for her new HDTV. She is Thai and most of the movies that she purchases are in the VCD format. Apparently the VCD format is very popular in Thailand and the majority of the movies that she has are in this format. She has an older Apex DVD player, but the movies look like crap and she has expressed interest in purchasing a Blu Ray player after she watched a few movies on my PS3.

What she needs -

A Blu Ray player capable of playing DVD's, Blu-Ray's, VCD's and CD's. Can anyone help me out!?

I don't know which player plays VCD, but I can tell you my PS3 does not play either VCD or SVCD. When I insert the disc the PS3 does not recognize it at all.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I don't know which player plays VCD, but I can tell you my PS3 does not play either VCD or SVCD. When I insert the disc the PS3 does not recognize it at all.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I tried her VCD's when I took my PS3 over and none of them worked, so that is not an option.

Blu-Ray isn't going to help her very much with VCD quality anyway. That's a relatively low resolution and compressed source material. Even with an upscaler they're going to look pretty bad on her HDTV. In fact, all HDTVs (except for some old tube style CRT ones that handled multiple resolutions) have to upscale to their native resolution from the source material resolution. The better the upscaling chip, the better the video quality. If she thinks she's going to see her VCDs look as good as your Blu-Ray films then she's just fooling herself.

[quote name='mzbagel']Blu-Ray isn't going to help her very much with VCD quality anyway. That's a relatively low resolution and compressed source material. Even with an upscaler they're going to look pretty bad on her HDTV. In fact, all HDTVs (except for some old tube style CRT ones that handled multiple resolutions) have to upscale to their native resolution from the source material resolution. The better the upscaling chip, the better the video quality. If she thinks she's going to see her VCDs look as good as your Blu-Ray films then she's just fooling herself.[/QUOTE]

No, No, she understands what the quality behind each of the discs is, i.e, Blu-Ray, DVD, VCD, etc. The thing is that she wants an all in one player so that she will not have that excessive amount of bulk created by all of those players that has in her living room. She wants a player that will play all of her media. Honestly, she does not care what the quality of the VCD's is as they are music video cd's and she wants to play them on a new player that can replace them all.

bread's done
Back