Help needed w/ non receipt of item...

Tespo125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
I'm having some worries with this guy on the other end of my latest transaction. I purchsed a laptop on eBay last Wednesday and he keep giving me excuses opf why he STILL has not shipped the item. I starting to get a little impatient and I'm suspecting that he's trying to rip me off. Please let me know what you think...

OK, to start off, here is the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6842922955&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
Title: Toshiba Portege R205 R200 2.6lbs, .71" thick L@@K!
Ended: Jan-25-06 11:37:08 PST
Buy It Now Price: $1,250.00
I paid immediately through PayPal.

Before I bought the item, the seller and I had exchanged messages about shipping. I asked him if he would send the the package the same day the auction ended (Wed) so it would get here by Friday or Saturday. He told me it was not a problem because his post office was open 24 hours and he would drop it off on his way home from work. I then bought and paid for the item and notified him of the payment. I unfortunately do not have these messages because my old laptop just up and died after these messages were exchanged and they are lost forever.

**MSG**
Recieved from seller on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:50 pm
Theodore, I received your payment. I have to do a quick restore tonight on the laptop and it'll be on its way tomorrow morning.

I leave town for the weekend on a Cruise, expecting the package will hopefully arrive by Saturday. I get home on Sunday to see no package. I then wait another day and on Monday I request his contact information through eBay, and send him this message:

**MSG**
Sent by me on Jan-30-06
Hello, have you shipped the computer yet because I have not yet received it. Do you have a tracking number?

**MSG**
Received from seller on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:14 pm
Hey, Teddy. Don't worry. The package left this morning via. UPS. I have yet to receive it from my shipping dept. downstairs, but as soon as I do, it'll be sent along. **** I dropped it off this morning to them, because I've been rather busy over the last 4 days trying to resolve some issues with work, because I started a new job this past week and its taking a bit to get up to speed. **
Is there any way you can send me a tracking number when you ship it? I am getting impatient, as I was expecting this to arrive no later than Monday. I'm sure you can understand my frustration. Thank you, and good luck with the new job.

**MSG**
Received from seller on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:27 pm
I called down before I left, and I was told there would be a shipment number on my desk when i came in, in the morning. So, as soon as I get in, I'll email you from work.

NO RESPONSE UNTIL 5:44pm!!

**MSG**
Reveived from seller on Wednesday, February 1, 2006 5:44 pm
Dumb-a$$ shipping people didn't send it. They were going to ship it out tomorrow morning, because it was a personal package - 2 day turn-around. Who knew?! I'm sending you a picture via. my personal email of the shipping slip from USPS. **

Did he send you a picture of that receipt? If he did not you have his contact information I would give him a call on the phone and talk to him about it.

Personally, I say wait until tomorrow morning to see if the tracking number will work. If it doesn't send him a final reply saying that the information he provided seems to be incorrect, you're concerned with the change of package handlers, and that if you don't have a working delivery confirmation number by the end of the day (give him a specific time, don't give him the benefit of a time window at all) then you're going to ask to have this resolved via PayPal.

The guy sounds like he's giving you so much song and dance that he's about ready to fall off the stage, headfirst, into the pit.

If you file a dispute with Paypal, unless he got signature confirmation you will win since signature confirmation is required on purchases $250 and up. I would wait a day or two first though

Can you even file a complaint yet? It's barely been a week. And he said he shipped it today, so why would you file a complaint now? Also, delivery confirmation numbers can take a while to show up on the system.

Edited to add: I forgot to say, my advice would be to give it some time before filing a complaint. I think you have 30 days from the transaction to file a complaint.

guy seems like a total asshole... "I DO NOT ... repeat DO NOT ship outside the US. i DO NOT ... repeat DO NOT use anything else except Paypal. I DO NOT .. repeat DO NOT sell away from the official channels of Ebay."

the other response to a question a bidder asked was just as rude. Id have never bid on this.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']guy seems like a total asshole... "I DO NOT ... repeat DO NOT ship outside the US. i DO NOT ... repeat DO NOT use anything else except Paypal. I DO NOT .. repeat DO NOT sell away from the official channels of Ebay."

the other response to a question a bidder asked was just as rude. Id have never bid on this.[/QUOTE]

... upon further viewing all his auctions say he ships to canada also. I DO NOT think canada is the inside the US. I DO NOT think this seller is all that great. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

A lot of cases with USPS Tracking system, it can take upto almost 48 hours for
a Priority Mail Package with Delv conf. to actually show up.

Number shows up now. As mentioned those numbers take a bit to actually show in the system.

"Your item was accepted at 2:50 pm on February 01, 2006 in BUFFALO, NY 14226. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Too bad troy is banned or he could inform all of us that eBay's policy is the seller has 7 days to ship and that you accepted those terms by buying something on eBay. Boy I miss having him around ;)

I don't think I'd pay $1k+ to someone with such low FB, but I guess if you paid with CC PayPal you have a few layers of protection there.

I also find it VERY suspect that he collects sales tax for sales in NY. Does someone with just 23 FB really turn that % over to the state? I'm doubtful. (Don't you need some sort of license from the state or something?) But that doesn't really have any bearing on this problem.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If you file a dispute with Paypal, unless he got signature confirmation you will win since signature confirmation is required on purchases $250 and up. I would wait a day or two first though[/QUOTE]

man i'm so happy that i found this.. i'm selling my laptop on ebay and what do I need to do? my laptop would probably go around $500-$600, so i'm shipping via UPS and I have to have signature confirmation also? what else i need to know? just in case the buyer trying to play something funny.. thanx for any help

^^If you are shipping by UPS, when you ship it tell them you want some sort of signature proof (I'm not sure how UPS does it but there is a way to require a signature). Also, make sure you get insurance on the item because UPS only insures up to $100 normally so if you want more insurance, you have to tell them and it will cost a little extra. They give you a tracking # automatically so you don't have to worry about it. Take these extra shipping fees into account and charge the buyer more for shipping (if you hadn't considered these extra costs) that way you don't have to pay more than expected on shipping and lose money on shipping.

[quote name='wubb']Number shows up now. As mentioned those numbers take a bit to actually show in the system.

"Your item was accepted at 2:50 pm on February 01, 2006 in BUFFALO, NY 14226. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Too bad troy is banned or he could inform all of us that eBay's policy is the seller has 7 days to ship and that you accepted those terms by buying something on eBay. Boy I miss having him around ;)

I don't think I'd pay $1k+ to someone with such low FB, but I guess if you paid with CC PayPal you have a few layers of protection there.

I also find it VERY suspect that he collects sales tax for sales in NY. Does someone with just 23 FB really turn that % over to the state? I'm doubtful. (Don't you need some sort of license from the state or something?) But that doesn't really have any bearing on this problem.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was Paypal who required the seller to ship within 7 days (doesn't really make a difference but I just thought with EBay the time limit was linger).

The only way a seller should be collecting sales tax is like you said if they pay taxes and I think they have to be a legit business. Unfortunately, when I was new to EBay, I bought something from someone and they charged me tax even though it was out of state. I think they just pocketed the sales tax (I would have questioned it had I thought about it back then).

If the number doesn't show up in the UPS system within 24 hours call him and tell him he has 48 hours before you file a complaint.

To be honest though, I think eBay requires you to wait 14 days before you can start the complaint process with them. Though, with PayPal you can do act at any time. (I think.)

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I thought it was Paypal who required the seller to ship within 7 days (doesn't really make a difference but I just thought with EBay the time limit was linger).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think it is PayPal that has the 7 day thing. Uh... I said eBay so that troy would go nuts not being able to respond with a correction. ;)

Anyway the good news is that since he shipped Priority (according to him, right?) you should have the package I would hope by Saturday if not tomorrow.

bread's done
Back