HELP!!! PS3 issue.... PROBLEM SOLVED THANKS TO CAG MEMBERS AND FIRMWARE 1.8!!!

[quote name='dallow']First of all, it's really nice to see people helping each other out here. Not one negative thing it seems.

It sounds like your TV is having a big problem with the HDMI HDCP "handshake" protection when switching video modes.

I'm assuming your TV is 1080i max right?
Yeah, maybe a set of component cables would cure your HDMI woes.
HOWEVER, not all TVs will accept a high-def signal via component, you'll have to check your TV's manual.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that the Hiccup problem could be fixed by upgrading a TV's firmware, I'm not sure on the details I have to find the article again.

Hmm... Thanks for the link Thomas. I'll have to do some searching on my TV brand to see if I can find people having the same issue as me. Mine works like a charm via HDMI as long as I don't try and play PS2 games. As soon as I do the picture goes snowy for a second while it adjusts then the game plays fine. As soon as I exit the PS2 game however I lose picture and sound. I have to unplug the TV, plug it back in, and turn it back on to get the 1080i picture back.

It seems to me like the television "downgrades" it's signal to low def for the PS2 content but then gets confused and can't adjust back up to 1080i once I'm finished.

UPDATE: It looks as if the latest firmware (1.8)corrected the problem I was having. Now that the PS3 upscales DVDs and PS2 games I don't lose the picture via HDMI. I played couple different PS2 games and when I exited I was able to get back to the main menu without losing the picture.

Psykodelic, I hope you've gotten your broken PS3 issue resolved.

Thanks once again fellow CAG for all of your help and advice.

First, I just want to say "Thanks" for this thread.

I have the same TV and was trying to install Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3. I'll spare you the details of the attempted install, my panic when I couldn't get a display through the HDMI port, and my jubilation when all it took was unplugging the TV for a minute to get the HDMI working again (Panic can really interfere with your ability to think of simple solutions). But anyways, even with the latest firmware (1.90) YDL can cause the HDMI port to misbehave with the RCA Scenium 50" DLP (HD50LPW175). I'm not really feeling up to trying another distro at the moment, but I would guess it's very possible they would give the same result.

Again, I just want to thank everyone and hopefully my small contribution can guide in those who are having trouble with this TV and PS3 Linux.

[quote name='nolanjurgens']First, I just want to say "Thanks" for this thread.

I have the same TV and was trying to install Yellow Dog Linux on my PS3. I'll spare you the details of the attempted install, my panic when I couldn't get a display through the HDMI port, and my jubilation when all it took was unplugging the TV for a minute to get the HDMI working again (Panic can really interfere with your ability to think of simple solutions). But anyways, even with the latest firmware (1.90) YDL can cause the HDMI port to misbehave with the RCA Scenium 50" DLP (HD50LPW175). I'm not really feeling up to trying another distro at the moment, but I would guess it's very possible they would give the same result.

Again, I just want to thank everyone and hopefully my small contribution can guide in those who are having trouble with this TV and PS3 Linux.[/quote]

I'm glad my little thread could provide some info for a fellow CAG!

bread's done
Back