Help Setting up Playstation and Surround Sound

D_Icon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Good evening. Long timer gone lurker.

I recently purchased a new RCA 46" LED TV LED46C45RQ HD on clearance from sears. Has 2 hdmi ports.

Through sears outlet i was also able to pick up a used Samsung 5.1 Channel 1000W Home Theater System with 3D Bluray and WiFi HTH5500W.

I have a ps4 and a ps3 that I want to connect to the surround system but I can't seem to figure it out.Any help?

I've tested the surround sound and it works. I connected the tv to the surround sound via hdmi and it works perfect.

Now the problem is when I plug in a digital optical cable from ps4 to surround sound system. Instructions manual says to switch surround sound system's function to "D'out" mode (digital optical mode) when connecting device through digital optical port. When I do, I can't get any sound from the ps4 unless I unplug the hdmi cable from behind the surround sound system that is connected to the tv. Any ideas why?

The ps4 has an hdmi going to the tv btw.

Wrong forum but..

Somewhere in your PS4 settings you should be able to select optical out while maintaining video from HDMI.  I don't have a PS4 but I say this because I know it was possible on the PS3 as I had mine connected this way with an older stereo.  Alternatively it looks like your tv has an optical or coaxial out and if your sound system has either of these for an input you may want to go that route.  HDMI from PS4 and Blu Ray to TV.  Coaxial out from tv to surround.  I presume you don't have to have a connection for your surround as you make it sound as though it's all one unit.  Another method would be to use the component cables for video (red, green, blue).  There's not really a discernable difference between those and HDMI as far as picture goes (many will say otherwise, but on a lower end tv like this, it's true).  The downside is then you will need to use the red/white rca posts for sound which is a step down from either hdmi or coaxial.   If you need more than two HDMI ports, you will need to use a hdmi switcher but if you use component cables, you can bypass this.  IE: PS3 connected via component to TV.  Make sense? 

Edit: Looks like your surround unit only supports optical input while your tv has coaxial out.  Making things happen the way you want will be difficult.  Look into the PS4 settings like I mentioned first.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's not much to it.  Under Settings, Sound and Screen, Audio Output Settings, Primary Output Port.  Choose HDMI or Digital Out (Optical).  

Wrong forum but..

Somewhere in your PS4 settings you should be able to select optical out while maintaining video from HDMI. I don't have a PS4 but I say this because I know it was possible on the PS3 as I had mine connected this way with an older stereo. Alternatively it looks like your tv has an optical or coaxial out and if your sound system has either of these for an input you may want to go that route. HDMI from PS4 and Blu Ray to TV. Coaxial out from tv to surround. I presume you don't have to have a connection for your surround as you make it sound as though it's all one unit. Another method would be to use the component cables for video (red, green, blue). There's not really a discernable difference between those and HDMI as far as picture goes (many will say otherwise, but on a lower end tv like this, it's true). The downside is then you will need to use the red/white rca posts for sound which is a step down from either hdmi or coaxial. If you need more than two HDMI ports, you will need to use a hdmi switcher but if you use component cables, you can bypass this. IE: PS3 connected via component to TV. Make sense?

Edit: Looks like your surround unit only supports optical input while your tv has coaxial out. Making things happen the way you want will be difficult. Look into the PS4 settings like I mentioned first.
Man, you need to read up on a PS4. It's HDMI output only with a digital optical output option for sound.

Man, you need to read up on a PS4. It's HDMI output only with a digital optical output option for sound.
I didn't mention connecting a PS4 any other way. Sorry the response is confusing for some people because I added in some info before I posted which changed the context of the paragraph. However, you see I refer the component cables to the PS3...not 4.

The OPs original question was how to connect PS3 and PS4 via hdmi. He can't do that without a switcher or putting the PS3 on component given he only has two hdmi ports on his tv. One port for PS4, one port for blu ray.

Thanks for verifying there is a way in settings to switch off hdmi audio on the PS4.

Thanks for the responses. I just swapped in a new digital optical cable. And I'm using the rca cables for sound on the ps3.

Thanks again.

bread's done
Back