Help Using Unlocked Cellphones

rabidmonkeys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
About 3 years ago, there was an incredible deal on FatWallet for a Cingular cell plan that I jumped on. However, as mentioned, its been 3 years so my cell is dented and doesn't hold the charge like it should and frankly I just want a new phone.

Today, I got an email from them touting one of the Sony Ericssons I was looking at. Since it will be third Sony and I'm generally brand loyal I decided to pull the trigger and call. The phone was free with an extension or an upgrade of your current contract, right now I'm a Cingular customer but my 2 year contract is up and I have no contract with them, just my plan. So technically, I would think I should be eligible. When I called I was told I was not eligible for the deal because my plan is no longer offered, I could continue without a contract indefinately, but if I wanted a new phone I would have to change plans.

There is no way I'm giving up this plan (1650 minutes + unlimited Mobile to Mobile + unlimited extended nights and weekends + 50 text messages a month for $49.99) when their current $49 plan offeres only 650 minutes.

I want to know what steps I need to take to buy a cell phone from a thirdparty (wireFly, ebay, etc...) and have it work with cingular's network. Generally I'm Mr. Technology but I've sadly ignored the whole unlocked GSM cell phone thing and now I need a crib note version. CAG can you give me a crash course or can you point me to where I can read up on it?

EDIT: Yes, I searched on google but for someone coming in this late to the game it seems hard to catch up and other forums don't seem to welcome cellphone n00bs. So thanks in advance CAGs!

good place to look online for an unlocked gsm phone is on some forums like these ones I've found two gsm unlocked phones (my old one that was stolen in Tunisia) at www.hardforums.com, forums.anandtech.com and www.howardforums.com howardforums specializes in cellphones, so you can get the latest and greatest gsm phones there - me, i just needed a shit phone that would do sms so i spent $30 on a phone from anandtech. cheers

bread's done
Back