Help! Which Strategy Game Should I Play First

Zmonkay

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Hey guys, I have a few strategy games, but have never played any before. Which should I play first, since I've got no clue what I'm doing?
I have:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Disgrea

Thanks
(by the way, for those that don't have Burnout 3... GO BUY IT, NOW!!!! It is an AMAZING game...crash, crash, kaboom)

All three are great, I prefer the FF games, and as far as which one to play.. It depends if you'd rather be portable right now I think.

And as far as Disgaea, if you're going to play La Pucelle, play it first.. its not as good as Disgaea, but you won't notice the flaws if you play Disgaea second.

Thanks for the oppinions. Anyone else? Which is the easiest to get into for someone who has never played a strategy game before?

The last battle in Tactics didn't bug me as much as that one that started out as a 1 vs 1 until the guy transform and brings in some demons to go against your party and if you lost you had to start form the 1 vs 1 again. I had that shitheads movements memorized by the time I beat him it's the only time in my life that I have been tempted to buy a game shark

[quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the oppinions. Anyone else? Which is the easiest to get into for someone who has never played a strategy game before?[/quote]

FFT's a little more complicated, but Disgaea's 50X better. In that case, assault FFT first (I havn't played FFTA, however).

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the oppinions. Anyone else? Which is the easiest to get into for someone who has never played a strategy game before?[/quote]

FFT's a little more complicated, but Disgaea's 50X better. In that case, assault FFT first (I havn't played FFTA, however).[/quote]

How is FFT more complicated than Disgaea?

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='Sartori'][quote name='Zmonkay']Thanks for the oppinions. Anyone else? Which is the easiest to get into for someone who has never played a strategy game before?[/quote]

FFT's a little more complicated, but Disgaea's 50X better. In that case, assault FFT first (I havn't played FFTA, however).[/quote]

How is FFT more complicated than Disgaea?[/quote]

Yea no kidding the geo panels alone add a lot of complications to things

It's only slightly moreso. Disgaea, if you ask me, is a lot more straight-forward and user friendly.

Furthermore, the geo-panels are a very simple concept to grasp. Overall, I feel that Disgaea is deeper, but I wasn't making a reference to that. Notice this guy has not yet played an SRPG - I feel that he would find FFT more complex at first glance.

Yea I think Vandal hearts 1 is like the perfect game to start on the genre. FF Tactics was my first and it showed because my lead character was a lame ass

Disgaea's story puts it above all other tactical RPGs. It'll also keep you playing while you're learning the nuances of these types of games.

The item world stuff is awesome, too. Basically, it can be as deep as you want, or you can play through without much fuss. I say Disgaea.

I would play FFT:A first if you don't you may not be able to play it at all. FFT:A is the worst of the three in my opinion and is a step backwards from the original. That said it's still a good game just lacking character customizing to the level of the other two.

[quote name='Zmonkay']thanks all for your thoughts. I think I'll play FFTA first, since I can play it on the train, then Disgaea[/quote]

See thats a great idea, play the FFTA when your away and at home play Disgaea on the PS2.

FFT by far. FFTA is like a stripped down kiddified FFT and Disgaea is decent but it's more about Diabloesque item collection and leveling than actual tactics.

[quote name='jlarlee']The last battle in Tactics didn't bug me as much as that one that started out as a 1 vs 1 until the guy transform and brings in some demons to go against your party and if you lost you had to start form the 1 vs 1 again. I had that shitheads movements memorized by the time I beat him it's the only time in my life that I have been tempted to buy a game shark[/quote]

I know what you're talking about. To me that battle was infamous. I know of at least two people who got to that point and quit the game because that was ridiculously hard. I think for myself, I didn't touch FFT for almost 2 weeks before I went back at it to beat it. That fight was a bitch.

[quote name='Sheik Rattle Enroll']FFT by far. FFTA is like a stripped down kiddified FFT and Disgaea is decent but it's more about Diabloesque item collection and leveling than actual tactics.[/quote]

I beg to differ Tactics Advance had the laws system which gave a lot of depth to gameplay. It made you either collect anti cards or have a well rounded party

[quote name='Zmonkay']Hey guys, I have a few strategy games, but have never played any before. Which should I play first, since I've got no clue what I'm doing?
I have:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Disgrea

Thanks
(by the way, for those that don't have Burnout 3... GO BUY IT, NOW!!!! It is an AMAZING game...crash, crash, kaboom)[/quote]
I've never played those 3 games, but as for Burnout 3, in my book, it is the "must-own" game of the year...(so far...san andreas & halo 2)

Why does it matter which you play first? You're eventually gonna play them all. Just pick one (I suggest eenie meenie miney moe) and play until you beat it. Then do the same for the next.

They're all fantastic games.

I'd recommend playing FF:T and FF:TA at the same time, then Disgaea after completing the FFs.

Note that Final Fantasy Tactics's plot will make NO sense. This is normal.

bread's done
Back