Help with choosing which of these HDTVs to get

pop311

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I know, I know, "Not another HDTV thread", but this could be the final one, seriously, I'm not kidding. But anyway, which of these HDTV would you get.
Info to keep in mind:
*I will be sitting 91-135 inches from the screen
*I will use it for [Comcast] [HD]TV, Xbox 360, Wii (component), PS2, DVD (maybe upgrade to HD-DVD), and Xbox
*Need HDTV to not break for 31 months
*I've done the research, and a Samsung DLP is right for me.

Here are the TVs:
Samsung DLP 61'' 1080p: $2,099.99 HL-S6187W
Samsung DLP 56'' 1080p: $1,669.99 HL-S5687W
Samsung DLP 50'' 1080p: $1,549.99 HL-S5087W
Samsung DLP 61'' 1080i: $1,549.99 HL-S6186W
Samsung DLP 56'' 1080i: $1,299.99 HL-S5686W
Samsung DLP 50'' 1080i: $1,159.99 HL-S5086W
If anyone has any info on where I can get a better deal on any of these TVs, or has any sort of coupon for Amazon.com, i would gladly appreciate it if you posted that info

All prices are the final prices. There is not Tax or Shipping.

I know this is a lot a to ask of you CAGs, but could you please take the time and leave your thoughts or reccomendations

[quote name='jPoD']Samsung DLP 56'' for $1,299.99. That looks pretty good to me.[/QUOTE]

2nd it really comes down to what size you want. 1080p isn't important it will always be a niche. It won't ever become the standard on anything.

1080p is like 56x dvd-rom drives for pc. There out there but no one use's them everyone uses 52x dvd drives. Why? Because 56x drives cost a little more and show very little difference in their performance for the extra money. Same with 1080i (52x drive) and 1080p (56x drive)

capiche?

Dude, I understand you have a lot of questions, but ask them all in one thread. You've made like 10 different threads asking which HDTV to buy.

[quote name='Trakan']Dude, I understand you have a lot of questions, but ask them all in one thread. You've made like 10 different threads asking which HDTV to buy.[/QUOTE]

Trakan I was speaking to everyone about making an HDTV thread. I would explain everything in it. Then when someone needed to ask a question they would post it in the HDTV thread. I was wondering if I made it would you sticky it? That would help stop the 500,000 what tv to buy threads?

Okay here's what I say:

If you are planning on adding HD-DVD and/or Bluray along with a PS3 down the road then its worth spending the few extra hundred on the 1080p set now. That way you can have a TV that is ready for 1080p material now while still having a great set. There is a noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p as well.

If you are NOT planning on any of the three I mentioned above then go with the 1080i sets. No need in spending extra on a feature you will never use. And as others have said 1080p most likely will never be used for broadcasts - just for stuff like the PS3 and either of the HD disc formats.

[quote name='pop311']does 360 do 1080p?[/quote]

Yes and No.

Microsoft says that its capable of 1080p output, however, there is no HDMI port.

There are rumors of one floating on the internet...a new 360 with HDMI and a bigger HD, but there has been no confirmation from M$. I'd say its likely, but right now, 360 games are running in 720p...and Oblivion looks freakin' sweet.

TBW

I've got my 360 set to 1080p w/the comp. cables plugged in, and it looks pretty damn good, so I'd say yes? Isn't that what that last big update was all about?

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Yes and No.

Microsoft says that its capable of 1080p output, however, there is no HDMI port.

There are rumors of one floating on the internet...a new 360 with HDMI and a bigger HD, but there has been no confirmation from M$. I'd say its likely, but right now, 360 games are running in 720p...and Oblivion looks freakin' sweet.

TBW[/QUOTE]
it does 1080p through component and VGA

I wouldn't get any of them because they use bulbs and they are expensive to replace. I don't care how long they *claim* to last, they don't. The more you turn it on and off, the faster the bulb dies.

Infocus engineers did a test a while ago and it ended up being that approximatley every time you turn the set on (strike the lamp), it takes off about 10% of the estimated life span.

Sorry for the rant, but I have owned many projectors, and I vow never to own a bulb based set that is used on a regular basis again. Bulbs are seriously overpriced and expensive. I feel also that one shouldn't be forced to buy a warranty, but with these bulb based sets, it's almost a requirement.

That a side, if you have to have one, I would get the 50" 1080P model.

[quote name='b3b0p']I wouldn't get any of them because they use bulbs and they are expensive to replace. I don't care how long they *claim* to last, they don't. The more you turn it on and off, the faster the bulb dies.

Infocus engineers did a test a while ago and it ended up being that approximatley every time you turn the set on (strike the lamp), it takes off about 10% of the estimated life span.

Sorry for the rant, but I have owned many projectors, and I vow never to own a bulb based set that is used on a regular basis again. Bulbs are seriously overpriced and expensive. I feel also that one shouldn't be forced to buy a warranty, but with these bulb based sets, it's almost a requirement.

That a side, if you have to have one, I would get the 50" 1080P model.[/quote]Okay then, what type and brand would you reeccomend for this size and resolution, keeping in mind I cannot spend a lot of money

I can only say we bought the HL-S5687W about 2 months ago from Amazon. We're very happy both with Amazon and with the set. We haven't played any games on it so I can't address those issues but we sit about 11-12 feet from the set, have Comcast and we think the picture is fabulous.

When we bought it the price (great at the time) it was about $200 more than it is now. Whatever you decide to buy, if you purchase through Amazon, it would make Cheapy very happy if you use the CAG link ....;)

[quote name='CheapyMom']I can only say we bought the HL-S5687W about 2 months ago from Amazon. We're very happy both with Amazon and with the set. We haven't played any games on it so I can't address those issues but we sit about 11-12 feet from the set, have Comcast and we think the picture is fabulous.

When we bought it the price (great at the time) it was about $200 more than it is now. Whatever you decide to buy, if you purchase through Amazon, it would make Cheapy very happy if you use the CAG link ....;)[/quote]Did you get the any of the warranties?

[quote name='pop311']Did you get the any of the warranties?[/quote]

Nope. And we're not worried about the lamp life. We figure unless the bulb is defective, even watching a few hours a day our bulb should last several years and the replacement isn't that expensive. But naturally you should consider how your set will be used and who can say now whether not buying an extended warranty will turn out to have been the right decision? It was CheapyDad's call. He likes to live on the edge. :roll:

[quote name='pop311']Okay then, what type and brand would you reeccomend for this size and resolution, keeping in mind I cannot spend a lot of money[/quote]
I can't recommend anything because most are very expensive when approaching that size. If you can live with a 37" or 42", the Westinghouse 1080P monitors have gotten a nice reviews from users and have a following on the AVS forum.

Right now, the rear projection bulb based sets are very cheap. They are excellent in picture quality and provide awesome size options (both are relative). However, the bulb and the moving parts in DLP are the issues I have (color wheel: yes, they do get dirty, I've taken one out and cleaned it myself).

Do you think it will be easy to find a bulb for your set in 2-3 years? And even if it is, is $200-$400 something you want to invest in a 2-3 year old television when that money is a considerable percentage of a new one?

I don't know, just something to think about. Since CRT is dead now and most if not all companies stopped putting them out, I'm waiting for improvements to occur in flat panel LCD. Right now blacks suck and prices are still high.

bread's done
Back